myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which board for SF Bay 3rd Avenue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shamman wrote:
Clarification ;: weight in kg + 10 = board size in liters that just big enough if wind drops. Sailing bigger board than you need will lessen the feel and handling particularly when windy

Really this also depends on your skill level while slogging too. Some sailors need a bigger board to slog especially in chop. And uphaulingg is a whole different game.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: For San Luis Res read this thread Reply with quote

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34648&sid=7a7ae61d53b2afc5b4f59c22df7e0bdf

Especially page 2

Last years thread from San Luis Res.

Be sure to have some weed fins just in case.
rainer412

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
thanks again for sharing all this information. Makes me want to move over to SF bay now already Smile.

Another question: I also have a JP Super Lightwind 165L Board and a Severne Turbo GT 9.2 which I happily use in my current spot in lightwind conditions from 10-15kn (about 80% of wind days are 10-15kn).
Is such a board/sail useful in the bay area, meaning: Are there in the low wind season days with 10-15kn wind and flat water?

My problem is that I often can't adjust my work schedule to catch the good wind days, but have to go surfing when my schedule allows. Means if sunday is low wind and Monday good wind, I would go sunday...

Or is there no use at all for such big gear?
Sell or keep?
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of those days, especially in the off season. Many now use foils in those conditions.

Buy or sell is up to you. Give me the exact number of days on the water you need to be satisfied, then I can then answer your question.

Coachg
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bay area has all kinds of spots and people use a wide range of sail and board sizes. If the costs to move all your gear is not excessive I would just bring it all and try our spots with your old gear and see what works, then either sell here or keep.

I think there is some advantage to not trying new conditions and new gear at the same time.

However, if you show up and everyone at 3rd ave is going out on 80L and 4m sails take your big stuff and drive to palo alto or foster city lagoon.
mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering you already own the light wind gear and know how to sail it I would bring it. The Super lightwind could be a good board in the offseason. Having a large board that you can easily uphaul and slog may be really nice to have at a number of locations. You could also sail it at places like Lake Tahoe should you decide to take a trip there. Before foiling there was a group of formula sailors that regularly raced at the San Francisco city front so there are definitely people that have had large gear. I would assume that you could also use that board with your 8.6 in a little more wind.
The Super lightwind has a deep Tuttle box so you could also use it with a foil if you decide to give that a try.
rainer412

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
There are plenty of those days, especially in the off season. Many now use foils in those conditions.

Buy or sell is up to you. Give me the exact number of days on the water you need to be satisfied, then I can then answer your question.

Coachg

7 days a week I guess? Laughing

@All, thanks for your comments, then the big gear is a keeper to be ready for all low wind conditions. No relocation cost involved for me.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of us here sail 100 days a year, a good balance overall.
200, our bodies don't recover, so seldom done.
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Welcome to 3rd Reply with quote

Firstly welcome to 3rd Avenue!
indeed the community is extremely helpful and friendly and welcoming to all!
you don't need a 12 pack or even a 6-pack just bring your smile and your stoke🤙🤙
Regarding all the gear you probably won't use your super light very much at all.

Unfortunately we get southwesterly winds at 3rd Avenue quite often seemingly more often every year.

The wind will be good from the Northwest then it will die and shift to the Southwest which is off shore. this is quite predictable and people go elsewhere on those days; Crissy, Treasure Island, Berkeley, Rio Vista Basically anything North of the Bay bridge.

To do this at your weight for most days I would recommend something around a 130 as your light wind board Which will double as a transition board for your wife and kids with a 7.0 for you.

Your giant 9.0 and your ultra light board will have 0 resale value in the Bay you should sell it where the market is better for that type of gear.

Regarding your high wind stuff you going to need an 85 and a 95! there's tons of that stuff here in the Bay used.
I would recommend just waiting till you get here so you don't have to move so much stuff.

Look forward to meeting you🤙🤙
Brian
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainer412 wrote:
Hi all,
thanks again for sharing all this information. Makes me want to move over to SF bay now already Smile.

Another question: I also have a JP Super Lightwind 165L Board and a Severne Turbo GT 9.2 which I happily use in my current spot in lightwind conditions from 10-15kn (about 80% of wind days are 10-15kn).
Is such a board/sail useful in the bay area, meaning: Are there in the low wind season days with 10-15kn wind and flat water?

My problem is that I often can't adjust my work schedule to catch the good wind days, but have to go surfing when my schedule allows. Means if sunday is low wind and Monday good wind, I would go sunday...

Or is there no use at all for such big gear?
Sell or keep?

Keep it! November to February it will come handy. The wind Nov-Feb is quite inconsistent, but you can get easily two-four days/month (plus the clearing wind days). And there are of course days during the season, March-October, when the big stuff will come handy.

I am a light weight, 160 lbs, and I sail year around with the biggest board a 110L + 7.5 sail. A 125 or larger might be better for a few days but it is hard to justify, and the 110 sees a lot of use. Foil for me buys almost nothing at the low end, and, at least at my skill level, has a much more limited range than my slalom board.

I use four boards, 80 + 90 B&J, 98 + 110 Slalom, but 85 + 98 + 110 would work as well if not better (fewer choices!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: