myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Florida Windsurfing locations West vs East.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Florida Windsurfing locations West vs East. Reply with quote

Hi everybody. I'm planning to spend a couple of months in Florida and was surprised by modest wind statistics. It looks like the best time would be between November and May. But I have trouble finding the best location. I'm looking for mostly flat water and 20+ mph wind. I found a lot of posts regarding Banana and Indian Rivers also Miami area but close to nothing about West coast. Though Tampa Bay area should be good geographically for winter/spring. I'm wondering if anybody has statistically meaningful experience of windsurfing on both West and East coast to compare them. Thanks in advance.
sav1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on the West coast of Fl and travel to the E coast regularly for waves. There is a modest contingent of sailors here and for flatwater. You can access all wind directions with shallow water easily here. Both coasts experience a spring sea breeze dependent on the variation of land and water temperature although the East coast may be slightly stronger and more frequent. Miami is inferior to the areas N. you reference. 20+ mph wind is irregular in Florida- cold fronts every couple of weeks push that type of wind.
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Florida. Bring your 7.5 and your foil board.
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I live (Space Coast) the spring sea breeze gets a slight boost just inland from the coast. So the coast might be 12-14 mph but Kelly Park (on the river) might be 16-18 mph. Enough of a difference to make Kelly Park probably the most consistent spot on the Space Coast.
novic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for information. Graphs are also a notch better at East. Just wanted to get fist-hand information as graphs sometimes are off as sensors are not everywhere. Thanks again. Have more windy days and see you on the water Very Happy
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today is likely to be frustrating along the east coast until you travel below the cold water wedged between the gulf stream and the beach. cold water decouples the SE wind on the beach and sometimes even the banana river. this happens any time between nov and march.

when the wind is the same temp or colder, the wind attaches. or, if the wind is really strong it can overcome the inversion. again, typically the SE days see this the most.

2 solutions, drive south, or do something else.

today, i drive to jupiter inlet for waves.

i suspect similar problem on west coast

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
akrausz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Florida had 20+ winds regularly it would be by far the best windsurfing state on the mainland! I believe the east coast gets a little bit more wind as a whole year-round then the Tampa Bay area as east and southeast are predominate directions. Miami has a unique vibe and great fun unless the wind is NW. But I think the Space Coast has the best combination of wind, flat water, and launch options in all directions. I'm most familiar with Sarasota and from Stuart to Miami. I've heard the Panhandle has wind and flat water too.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter may have a shorter windy season than the Space Coast, but the quality of the wave sailing during that season is much better than the Space Coast wave sailing.
Drake_el_sailor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shell point area is good
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably rare, but the second-flattest water I've ever sailed in strong winds was in east (offshore) winds at Fred Howard Park just north of Tampa. It was literally like ice skating even in 3.2 winds, a pretty unique experience. If flat's your thing, a strong all-day easterly could be worth the drive even from the east coast. It's also a really nice park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: