myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote Park opens on June 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Coyote Park opens on June 15 Reply with quote

Wear your masks: Coyote reopens on June 15! https://parks.smcgov.org/press-release/certain-parks-remain-closed
tomg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this also means that Boardsports can open up do their thing.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think boardsports has been open at least for equipment sales
during this whole thing.
wind_serf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on foiling at coyote? I’m relatively new to the area.

I’ve been out at 3rd, Palo Alto at high tide with no issues. Also went to Crissy this weekend which was amazing.

Are there any shallow water hazards from coyote? Is it a “foil at high tide” launch? I use a 90cm mast
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wind_serf wrote:
Can anyone comment on foiling at coyote? I’m relatively new to the area.

I’ve been out at 3rd, Palo Alto at high tide with no issues. Also went to Crissy this weekend which was amazing.

Are there any shallow water hazards from coyote? Is it a “foil at high tide” launch? I use a 90cm mast

Hi, there are not really water hazards at coyote. At high tide you can pretty much take off from the ramp, however at low tide you might have to walk 10 to 40 yards, depending on the tide, to reach 1 meter depth. After that you have more than half a dozen squared miles at you finger ... sorry ... foil-tips.

Only thing to watch is that there is generally a sizable wind gradient. It can easily be 5-8 knots, lighter inside.
windbetty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Boardsports Hours Reply with quote

hi Everyone,

we opened up last week (Thursday) for regular shop hours, rentals, and lessons. We welcome everyone back to the park and thank you all for your patience and patronage during Covid.

The shop is fully stocked and Kipps and Rebecca are there to help you get gear. Please wear a mask if you would like to enter the shop or be in close proximity to the shop.

We hope to see you all soon and are so happy to be back open at Coyote Park in San Mateo and Crown Beach in Alameda!

Jane & The Boardsports Team
https://boardsportscalifornia.com/hours/

IMG_2447.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.13 KB
 Viewed:  34402 Time(s)

IMG_2447.jpg

Boardsports_on top-2015 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  648.43 KB
 Viewed:  34405 Time(s)

Boardsports_on top-2015 copy.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Boardsports Hours Reply with quote

windbetty wrote:
hi Everyone,

we opened up last week (Thursday) for regular shop hours, rentals, and lessons. We welcome everyone back to the park and thank you all for your patience and patronage during Covid.

But I have to say: what's wrong with boardsport teaching to the kiters? The inside of Coyote on Saturday and Sunday always have a half dozen of kiters who (a) has no idea of how the right of way works (they wave back at you when you call for it!) or (b) never look around when turning or starting from a stand still.

Fortunately they are mostly way inside but yesterday I had to come to a complete stop to avoid a kiter who decided to start right in front of my path at around the first marker. There he was, I bearing down at 25 knots plus and he in his glorious 20 yards of kite and lines lifting right in front of me and crossing my path. Not a clue. Amazingly poor sailmanship.

Can you please give them some better instructions!!!!! Thank you!!! Very Happy
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Boardsports Hours Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
windbetty wrote:
hi Everyone,

But I have to say: what's wrong with boardsport teaching to the kiters? The inside of Coyote on Saturday and Sunday always have a half dozen of kiters who (a) has no idea of how the right of way works (they wave back at you when you call for it!) or (b) never look around when turning or starting from a stand still.

Fortunately they are mostly way inside but yesterday I had to come to a complete stop to avoid a kiter who decided to start right in front of my path at around the first marker. There he was, I bearing down at 25 knots plus and he in his glorious 20 yards of kite and lines lifting right in front of me and crossing my path. Not a clue. Amazingly poor sailmanship.

Can you please give them some better instructions!!!!! Thank you!!! Very Happy

Best encounter two days ago. Foiling kite that comes toward me with the right of way, I bear away to give him (a lot!) of room ... and he is does it too seemingly unaware of his right of way. We are still on a collision course (now much worse that straight upwind) and I decide to point upwind hoping that he will keep going. He follows ... he is target locked! Now is getting closer and I decide to brake the lock, keep going upwind and hope for the best. That works, I pass him by a board length and he does not even try to change direction ... he is still locked ... we are doing a combined 40 knots plus of speed ...
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Kites, I never assume they know anything about right of way rules. What I do know is passing downwind of a kite is more dangerous than passing upwind. I know they don't like us near them on the downwind side either. Unless they raise their kite, their lines are apt to hit the top of our mast. If they lose their edge, then it could be really really bad.

So, with that in mind, I bear up, rather than hold my line on starboard. If they bear up also, then I bear way way off. My actions are very intentional and designed to send a message. If they want to mirror my actions and get anywhere near close to me, then I yell loudly to stay the fuck away from me. This applies to any kiter that appears to be less than competent.

As for seasoned kiters who clearly know what they are doing, then the rules apply and they should respect right of way. At places like Waddell, I tango regularly with the strapless directional board guys, who are very good and know waves, know wave rules, know what they are doing, and know that I am there to ride down the line, just like they are.

Then there are the bayside plank riding idiots who show up to the lineup and mow the lawn and boost big air. Those guys are best left to the other kiters to police (it gets done quickly). I will yell at them as well if they get in my line while riding down the line, but generally, I don't have to because they get shamed very quickly by other kiters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: