myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 294, 295, 296 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020-06-23 New Brighton & Capitola Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:

Still glad I went out.

I am too.

Always better to get out. Take for example, last night at 3rd. I didn't get on the water until well after 6:00 p.m. Many were coming off saying, "I dunno, it's dropping." But I knew the tide was turning and the ebb would be kicking in. So, I rigged my biggest stuff and figured getting wet was better than staying dry. At first, it was work to pump onto plane, but sure enough the ebb began to kick in and the swells helped with that. The wind remained lite, but the tide began pulling harder and it was quite nice after all. Good swells working in both directions and late evening light made it a pretty special go out. I wasn't expecting much, but I'm very glad I went out.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: 2020-06-23 New Brighton and Capitola Reply with quote

Well back at the SailSUPping in light wind. Launched at New Brighton and was thinking of going to check out Shark Park, but instead headed towards Capitola. Sailed past Capitola and could not find any waves. Surf was flat. Sailed through the anchorage. Only two boats. One, "Void Star" from Alameda and another, "Destiny" from San Francisco. Covid-19. The Capitola Boat & Bait only just opened. Usually many more boats on moorings this time of year. Sailed on up to Privates. Still no surf. Headed back. Wind was light and getting lighter. Fairly mundane day. Still good to be out.
Had seen the Stagnaro Whale Watching, Fishing, Shark Watching boat headed to Aptos earlier. Tried to see where it had gone. In near shore off of SeaCliff. Staying in one location. They might be watching something. Headed that way. It was downwind about three miles and the wind was dying. I could not use the harness.
As I neared the boat named "Velocity" I could see it leaning to one side as folk gathered on that rail to look at whatever they were looking at. One of the crew on board signaled to me that it was a shark. He held his hand flat, fingers closed, edgewise on his head. The international sign for shark, possibly started by divers. I yelled out asking, "How big?" I thought I saw four fingers go up. Wait. Does a finger mean a foot, yard, meter? What?They pulled out and headed back to Santa Cruz. I tried to get into where they were, but the wind had died and I was just drifting trying to keep my balance. Don't know it it was a touch of nerves or the long downwind balancing act out of the harness or what, but next thing I know, kersplash, I am in the water. I crawl back on the board like a seal climbing on to a piece of ice. Try to get up and kersplash, back in the drink. Wait a minute. I only saw one hand from the crew member. Had he held up his other hand as well with digits raised that I had missed? One more time of that kersplash and I seem to get my balance back and get the uphaul to pull my sail up. Still did not get to see the shark. Decide to head back as I need to tack upwind. Luckily some of the light breeze came back and I could move along adequately. Looked for sharks the whole way and even did a few runs in and out, but saw nary a one. Bad time of day too, as it was nearing 6-O-Clock and the sun's slant did not aide in looking deep into the water.
So mundane day was not so mundane after all.

Stagnaro Boat VELOCITY.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.12 KB
 Viewed:  8771 Time(s)

Stagnaro Boat VELOCITY.png

2020-06-26 Windsurfing off of Capitola.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  867.62 KB

2020-06-26 Windsurfing off of Capitola.png

2020-06-26 Windsurfing GPS Tracks.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  752.37 KB

2020-06-26 Windsurfing GPS Tracks.png

Gwarn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: SAN PABLO BAY 6/27-6/28 Reply with quote

San Pablo Bay

Sunny and warm like Sherman Island.

Windy like Treasure Island.

Rolling swell like 3rd Ave.

Foilers Paradise...

GOPR2043.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Viewed:  8625 Time(s)

GOPR2043.jpg

GOPR2042-5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1022.72 KB

GOPR2042-5.jpg

GP012042.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.16 MB

GP012042.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: 2020-06-28 Windsurfing The Playground off of Capitola Reply with quote

Launched at New Brighton and windsurfed what I call The Playground off of Capitola. Swell was not that big, but the wind was in the mid to high teens so it was fun. Three fishing boats in the Capitola anchorage when I started. Thirteen when I left a couple of hours later. More were coming in. Windsurfed Bombora and The Playground and sailed through the anchorage. Most fishing boats from Monterey, I believe. One was from The Channel Islands. Four boats headed two and from Shark Park. One was the Velocity, one was the O'Neill new Catamaran and two other sailboats. The O'Neill Catamaran and one of the sailboats were motoring.
Pics attached of the GPS Track and the session. Busy GPS Track area is The Playground. Boat in the upper left of the session pic is the O'Neill boat. Boats on the upper right are fishing vessels coming in to the anchorage.
I stayed out of Shark Park except to launch and land. (I need a bigger board.)

2020-06-28 Windsurfing Capitola from New Brighton Launch.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Viewed:  8618 Time(s)

2020-06-28 Windsurfing Capitola from New Brighton Launch.png

2020-06-28 Windsurfing off of Capitola at The Playground.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  865.85 KB
 Viewed:  8618 Time(s)

2020-06-28 Windsurfing off of Capitola at The Playground.png

windward1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: 2020-06-28 Windsurfing The Playground CORRECTION Reply with quote

On my previous post of 2020-06-28 I erroneously said that the Catamaran in the pic going to Shark Park was the new O'Neill Catamaran. I went to the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor and saw the real O'Neill Catamaran today. The one seen the 28th was just some other catamaran. I got used to seeing the old O'Neill Catamaran going to Shark Park last year and thought this must be their new boat. It was not.

Pic of the real O'Neill Catamaran attached below:

Also saw four sharks in the Shark Park yesterday. Not from my windsurfer, but from the New Brighton State Park campground cliffs with binoculars. It may have only been two or three sharks as I was looking at different places at different times and could have been the same shark a couple of times. There was a Shark Watching boat, named "Sanctuary", from Monterey, viewing sharks at the time. Pic included below:

I did not go out windsurfing as the wind was too light even for me. Plus, sharks make me nervous...

O'Neill Catamaran.JPG
 Description:
O'Neill New Cat
 Filesize:  1.13 MB
 Viewed:  8439 Time(s)

O'Neill Catamaran.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG
 Description:
"Sanctuary" watching a shark.
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  8439 Time(s)

IMG_0568.JPG

Goodwind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert told me the other day that after 70 years of windsurfing and foiling, he is burned out. So, this year he's determined to be a wing-man. Caught him winging on an "early bird special" light wind session at the stick today.

bert at stick.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  451.22 KB
 Viewed:  8288 Time(s)

bert at stick.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Goodwind. Good to see Bert still out there and going for new things. He has not reported on much of late. I am glad you provided an update.

I got out today putting almost 15 more miles on one of my SailSUPs. Launched at New Brighton and sailed up about three miles of coastline. Caught waves at Privates, Pleasure Point and Sewers Peak. A pic of Sewers below:

2020-07-03 Windsurfing Pleasure Point outside of Sewers Peak.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1021.21 KB
 Viewed:  8280 Time(s)

2020-07-03 Windsurfing Pleasure Point outside of Sewers Peak.png

bert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
bert told me the other day that after 70 years of windsurfing and foiling, he is burned out

70 yrs of windsurfing? Dude..that would make me about a hundred years old!
Winging hasn't been easy for me because of my bad knees and age (almost 71), but I toughed it out and can now fly upwind and downwind comfortably. Just need to work on the transitions. One benefit to my winging is I've lost the 15 lbs that I put on since last season because you exert a lot more energy at the beginning of the learning curve.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 Pounds?!!! Now there is some incentive to get a wing and foil board!

Bert, what make and model are you using?
bert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1,
The wing is a Naish 4.6 and the board is a 130L JP board that you can both windfoil and wingfoil with if you move the mast to the fore position on the track. It really helps to have more board volume during the learning stage. I'll be using a smaller Naish sup foil board in a week or so. My foil is the lighter Moses 1100 wing with a 82 cm mast..all carbon. The wing would be ideal for you in the locations where you sail..especially in ocean swells and waves.

2020 JP.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  8152 Time(s)

2020 JP.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 294, 295, 296 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 295 of 329

Jump to: