myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing across US
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corgnilias

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: windsurfing across US Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive grown up windsurfing on Cape Cod, MA. Im about to graduate college and Id like to work elsewhere in the country, at least for a few years. As I apply for jobs Im wondering what other areas of the US have good windsurfing. Ive never done it elsewhere. Can anyone recommend a favorite site in another state? Also, I may have a job offer in the area of Ohios Lake Erie--is windsurfing feasable in that area?

Thanks for any advice on this.
Windlover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: RE: windsurfing across US Reply with quote

Anywhere there is a large enough body of water and some wind, you will be able to sail. I have sailed in about 20 different states. Some ponds/lakes were no bigger that 100+ yds across, and others (Lake Michigan) were huge. Its all about how bad you want to sail. As for my favorite places, the Gorge & Hawaii.

As for Ohio, check out ohwind.com for some good info. Also try dogpile or google with windsurfing (wherever) in the search.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: RE: windsurfing across US Reply with quote

If I were you Id look for a job in Maui Smile

Seriously tho, I have to recommend San Francisco for the following reasons:

1. A wide variety of conditions from wave sailing on the coast, bay bump and jump and incredible warm dry winds in warm fresh water in the delta.

2. Fairly long season. I dont sail in the winter, but last year I had my last few good days late in September. This year I started sailing in March.

3. Its really not crowded here (on the water). Thats because of the large number of sailable areas, people filter out and spread out.

4. Not a lot of tourists on the water. Recently, Forbes published the 10 top windsurfing areas and San Francisco was not mentioned. I think thats because there are no hotel facilities right on the water, and no big operators renting equipment. I like the local crowd, nobody out here sails with an attitude.

Downside: Full wetsuit required except for the Delta, cost of living, crowds (off the water), and traffic can be a problem (but Ive seen much worse in other big cities.)

Steve
pbranson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: RE: windsurfing across US Reply with quote

For great sailing, some of the best in the world, with countless other outdoor activities on your doorstep and in a place where you can still get a decent paying job its got to be the Gorge. Easily accesible from Seattle at Weekends, and east Portland every evening you wont be able to beat it anywhere in the world. I live and work in eastern washington and still manage to be on the water in the Gorge at Roosevelt or 3 mile by 6pm.

It all depends what you are after. Warm water go to Maui however job prospects are extremely limited. Nuke winds in fresh coldish (most of the season) waters go to the Gorge. Jobs for college graduates are plentiful in Portland and Seattle.
rasdpm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: RE: windsurfing across US Reply with quote

The Gorge.
Move to Portland first.
Find a job second.
Get a wind clause in your contract. Buy a vehicle you can drive a ton of miles in, sleep in, and bang up a little. Maybe after ten years youll get the sailing bug out of your system and can then move back east, but i doubt it. More likely your friends and family will be so impressed with the area that they will eventually move here too.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: RE: windsurfing across US Reply with quote

Dont take this move to Portland or Seattle too literally or too restrictively; there are other towns closer to great Gorge sailing with hundreds, even thousands, of professional and trades jobs (dont ask me to justify the distinction; try to justify telling any professional tradesman s/hes not a professional.) But regardless of which end of the Gorge one lives at, the recreational opportunities are quite phenomenal.

Mike \m/
rasdpm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: RE: windsurfing across US Reply with quote

Youre at the right moment in your life to make the decision to work where you live, instead of live where you work.
Take the time to travel around and decide what part of the country suits you. (Im sure you have a pocket full of credit cards, use them now if you have to, but for Gods sake go see the places youve been daydreaming about.) Find your place, move there. Then find a job.
jvigeant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: RE: windsurfing across US Reply with quote

Dude,

Its no contest, I travel for work and have been all over the US and NO place compares to the SF Bay area. Sure there are warmer places, the gorge might be windier, but do you really need 40 knots of wind, or is 25 knots good enough. It seems that you can find a spot that is 25 Knots everyday within a 45 minutes drive from the city

Also, the bay area has lots of other stuff to do (Surf, Ski @ lake tahoe, mountain bike, ...) all with a big city atmosphere. Oh yeah... and the weather is great too !

JQs

PS: Warning though ! cost of living is insane.... You gotta pay to play !
morewind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: RE: windsurfing across US Reply with quote

Move to San Francisco, pay the big rent$ and get a job that ends by 3 pm. Youll sail 100+ days on a 5.3 to 4.7
carl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: RE: windsurfing across US Reply with quote

Its finding a decent paying job that ends by 3pm thats the hard part. These companies want you to work a double shift cause they laid off too many people. Rents easy, get alot of housemates!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: