myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rowena closed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
underwood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Just how do the authorities "close" a launch?
Do they think a cardboard sign is going to stop us?
Do they post armed guards at each site?
If so, will they be there at dawn and dusk?
What are the penalties for ignoring signs?
How does this apply to federal (Corps) parks?
Or to wild launches, which pose zero virus risk to anyone?
What POSSIBLE harm can three people 50 feet apart do to themselves or anyone else?
Don't they realize that if the only risk is to ourselves (e.g., sailing virtually alone, staying far apart on the shore), windsurfing is FAR more important to us than their little pandemic ... that many of us have taken much greater risks and called them "fun"?
Where the hell are we? Russia? North Korea? Cuba? California?

I have no intention of stopping. There are too many other ways to eliminate risk to others and to myself without letting panic wipe out what could, every year, be my last season of WSing. I understand the valid concept of interrupting the virus transmission path, but one or two guys driving separately to an otherwise empty launch make zero difference.

My next step is writing the Portland Corps commander with suggestions and rationale for eliminating risks without literally closing its parks.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that one aspect has to do with hospitals being VERY concerned about bed space. As silly as it may sound "authorities" are concerned that participation in higher risk activities increases the chances of emergency room visits and hospitals need all of the space they can muster to deal with the anticipated influx of Covid19 patients. There are many intertwined facets to this problem.

We happen to live in an area where a lot of people participate in higher risk activities. It seems like there is always a rescue and/or ER visit from participating in some form of recreational sports on the local news.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered, I'll try to wait till the water warms up a bit. Hopefully by then the graph is on the way down. Even then I would be very cautious.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, dllee and underwood, for addressing my serious questions. Both of you shed some light on the government's rationale, but I doubt the injury risks of windsurfing even entered anyone's mind. If ER trips and hospital bed space were factors, they'd have to ban bicycles, driving, junk food, cigarettes, texting while walking, eating simple carbs like pasta/bread/potatoes/soda pop, and at least 100 such "high-risk" activities. I can count the number of necessary official rescues I've heard of in my 40 years of windsurfing on one hand.

A classic example of overkill I've not heard recommended by the CDC, Dr Fauci, or NBC infectious disease expert Shawn Penn (seriously) is forcefully closing EVERY business other than grocery stores and medical facilities. Sound crazy? Our (Washington state) idiot governor just did that, effective at midnight. NO gatherings of ANY size means no dating, no buying gas to drive to my doctor, no retrieving my post-surgical dog from my veterinarian, no walking across the street to ask my sick neighbor if he needs anything, etc.

Thank God for secret sailing spots, unless they plan to declare martial law bans on the public roadways.

WAAIIIT just a gol-dang minute. The ban still allows walking and running outdoors for exercise. I need to read the governor's website to see how this "exercise" thing is worded. Literally dozens of medical providers have told me my exercise and physical condition are clearly THE primary reason I'm still alive despite my multiple bouts of different cancers. If "Sam" can go walking or running, I can sure as hell go WSing.

Outta the way, gov'nor, if you plan to literally lock us into our homes on your own panic-stricken whimsey once the water warms up. Back it up with science, you moron. (He has proven many times to be completely, deliberately ignorant of science or other hard facts.)
westender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Calm down Iso Reply with quote

Inslee was clear to point out that it’s not the same as a “shelter in place” order. You’re still allowed to go outside, to the grocery store, and to do other essential business.
Grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, health care services, child care providers, transportation, financial services, the defense industry, critical local government operations, and media are considered essential. To-go and delivery from restaurants will still be allowed. Inslee’s office provided a full list of industries that are essential, building on the federal government’s and California’s definition of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: