myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Eastern OR/WA windsurf foiling sites
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last Arlington drive by:
2 AstroTurf patches for rigging and a small 10 foot wide cutout in the rocks for launching. Launching and landing could be interesting in big swell. Long spit for the marina breakwater. Don’t think you could get down the rocks to launch at the marina.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried launching and recovering WSers there. That's hard and dangerous enough; I don't see how a kite could use the launch at all.

The City of Arlington wants to make that a world-class site, with lawns, campground, RV hookups, an inn (replacing the silo), and vast improvements in the launch itself. It might work, if the Corps, the various Indian factions, and Fish & Game would allow a better launch, but all three abjectly refuse further improvement. I had a hard enough time convincing all three to allow the present launch and its far cobbier predecessor, as they claim it threatens all the fish in the Columbia.
stringp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically you could set your board in the rocky cutout, uphaul the sail, and head out. Don’t know if the water in the cutout is mast deep (4 feet).
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue how anyone launches in the cutout. I tried it once after landing to adjust something, and can fully understand why even experts have smashed boards there. Ya can't uphaul in the cutout because a board and rig barely fit in there even when it's not full of wind and swell. IN the cutout, right up next to the gravel, it's shallow, but it very quickly drops off to a hundred feet. Landing there was even worse.

Arlington wanted to build a breakwall and a real beach, but of course that would kill all the fish in the Columbia, heat up the planet, and make it rain in Portland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: