myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BIIIG (>130 L) slashy windsurf boards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, just arrived yesterday.
I saw lots of V, pulled in tail, very light, lots of strap locations, and just a bit of tail rocker for turning.
Medium rails with lots of tuck and curvy outline.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find the board I ride...a JP 109 Freestyle circa 2004 (which by modern standards isn't a freestyle board at all.) The board I'm on in my avatar. 70cm wide, 7'10 long, loves being on its rails. I sail it 5.4-7.5 (5.4 it's my cheater wave board for light wind when I still want to plane, vs SUPsailing.) You will like how tightly it can jibe...it turns on a dime when asked.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
If you can find the board I ride...a JP 109 Freestyle circa 2004 (which by modern standards isn't a freestyle board at all.) The board I'm on in my avatar. 70cm wide, 7'10 long, loves being on its rails. I sail it 5.4-7.5 (5.4 it's my cheater wave board for light wind when I still want to plane, vs SUPsailing.) You will like how tightly it can jibe...it turns on a dime when asked.

You don’t mention the volume, ops I now see 109.
I have this board in 93/94 size, I agree, except the 109 is too far from 130.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

You don’t mention the volume, ops I now see 109.
I have this board in 93/94 size, I agree, except the 109 is too far from 130.

The width (70cm) makes a big difference. When I bought this board I also sailed a Techno (153 liters) as my biggest board. I quickly found that they planed in the same amount of wind. The only limiting factor was the 109 wouldn't carry a race sail, but as I no longer use them (my biggest rig is a 7.5 camless) the Techno became duplicative.

The 109 is very easy to uphaul, it sails with a 7.5, and can if pushed turn on a dime. It's as slashy a big board as I've ever seen or sailed.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had totally forgotten about the Exocet X-wave 129, worth a look and a lot cheaper than a custom.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried a Firemove V3 100 at 68cm wide with single rear and it was turnt like a FSW with it's tail rocket and light weight.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I had totally forgotten about the Exocet X-wave 129, worth a look and a lot cheaper than a custom.

As I mentioned above, my X-Wave 101 (I accidentally typed 103) was too sluggish for me. It planed very quickly, rode very smoothly for its size, and jibed well, but it just wasn't a slasher despite my many fin changes. I'd thus expect the 129 to be a barge by comparison.

Every shop I've asked so far says the same thing: Slashy ends at ~115 liters. I have several Syncros from ~84 to 114 liters, and I've found them to be much more maneuverable and smoother riding than my JP FSWs were. I've also heard several JP FSW owners and a couple of their dealers complain about their ride quality above about 90 liters. OTOH, my 103 Syncro slashes rights and lefts extremely tightly with subtle heel'n'toe twitches and rides like a cloud.

My next step will be to evaluate that 114 more closely in this thread's role. If that doesn't cut it, I have drafted a discussion with OES and a local custom builder about the benefits of moving up 15-20 liters. Maybe it's too much like moving up from 9 to 10 square meters in sails.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I missed that comment.
OES seems like the only ones making that size wave board as a regular thing.

I'm not sure that you'll gain what you want without losing what you have with the 114 though.

I don't mind my 122 Kombat in light onshore wave but it's not exactly radical although I haven't gone to any extremes with fin experiments. Also they weren't produced for very long and most, like mine, are rapidly approaching the end of their lives.

Which custom maker are you dealing with?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I'm not sure that you'll gain what you want without losing what you have with the 114 though.

122 Kombat ... weren't produced for very long and most, like mine, are rapidly approaching the end of their lives.

Which custom maker are you dealing with?

I'd go with Art Colyer of North Pacific Surfboards. I have a lot of faith in his expertise, products, and advice. I will also look into the OES lineup.

Most of the boards on my almost-filled shopping list of high performance (by my standards) boards are 15-20 years old. I do buy some terminally ill samples, but only to test them first-hand for ~10 bucks to see if I like ... no, love ... it. If I do, I'll bide my time until I find a pristine version even if takes years. For example, I shortened that list to just one other board just last Saturday, when I found a rock-solid 2002 Bill Foote AHD Maui Force 8-4 83L wave board that, without a magnifying glass, looks new.

Today's breakfast for two at IHOP cost more.

I, too, have doubts about besting my 114 Syncro, given how less exciting it is than its stablemate just 11 liters smaller.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk of a 116L starts on page 2:
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/Fusion-65-V2?page=1

Production is OES (bulletproof) and the designer seem to be producing what you want in general.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: