myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2nd (Lightwind) Board Advice Needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite so Swchandler.

This emphasis on foiling and disparagement of those who 'haven't seen the light' and prefer 'normal' windsurfing, EVEN (gasp, shock, horror) in light winds, is now a deterrent to those who might like to sing the praises of such, for fear of facing 'take it or leave it' ridicule!

To those who love the open sea the fascination is in (quote) 'synergy in the board moving across the surface of the water.' It is a never ending source of fascination for some of us, and is for keeps. Of course there are lousy days when we curse the slings and arrows etc., but always there remains that inate love of the SURFACE of the water, and our contact with it.

It is the reason some of us are also life-long sea kayakers (the journey), and long board windsurfers (the journey) as well as planing shortboarders. Such will never stop 'pulling' at us, and NO, flying would NOT be an improvement so 'shove' the pressure to 'get with it!'

Some will give it a miss.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with SWC and GT. It is traveling at speed in direct contact with an ever changing water surface that is a great appeal of windsurfing. In my view, time in light winds can can really improve sailing skills; watching for wind shifts, gusts, water conditions, optimizing weight/ balance/ position on the board. Some of the most pleasurable rides come from catching a sustained gust, flying along hiked way out on a big sail and biggish board on relatively flat water. It's a nice change from the all-hands-on-deck heavy wind experience.

I think that is what the OP is looking for. So, my two cents.........I'm 205lbs. My big board is an RRD ZRide 133. I use it in with 7.5 or 8.5 Retros in winds from mid teens to around 20 knots. If the wind drops, it will still get me home. At 160lbs, you should be able to plane in lower winds on a board of that volume.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure many of us contemplate the mystery of water; a clearly solid looking surface which obviously isn't so. Yet we can, with the help of our inventions, float about over the surface, or travel at speed, preferably wind powered, during which it can feel all too solid when rough.

I'm not sure which qualifies as our 'best' human achievement; scooting across the water at will, or the invention of the two wheeled human propelled bicycle, of such outstanding efficiency, for tramping across the land.

For certain, some of us will never tire of either contact with the surface means of propulsion! (Welcome back Mr.G.)
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you naysayers actually TRIED foiling at all?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I try kiting, or snowboarding instead of skiing? No, not at all, and I do not have any regrets. Is there a problem in that? We all do what really appeals to us, and avoid some things that really don't appeal to us.

Like I tried to suggest in my earlier post, there isn't anything inherently bad in kiting, snowboarding or windfoiling, they just don't provide that important spark and drive to go all in and commit the time and money. To be frank, it's all very personal, and it's not always about keeping up with the latest fad or the coolest thing to do.
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great beta guys! Honestly, I had no intention in getting folks fired up about the lightwind windsurfing vs foiling debate. I was not attempting to stir the pot! I appreciate the guys who've chimed in about their preference for foiling in light winds. I certainly see the benefits. But, having said all that, I'm sticking with windsurfing (I know, I know....same sport, different discipline).

So, thank you for the advice. From what I've gathered here, I'm now looking into a 140 liter board for use with my current 7.2 GA Hybrid sail as well as my (soon-to-be) new 8.5 GA Matrix for my lighter wind days. Again, the majority of my season is spent in 6.0 conditions on the 110L board.

MrGybe....I too enjoy the challenges of balance and improvement in the lighter wind conditions. It's really improved my tacking, wind/water reading, and footwork skills! Now I just need to learn lightwind water starts!
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Have you naysayers actually TRIED foiling at all?

Yes I have, going on two years now & thoroughly enjoying it. But I am not so arrogant as to assume that because I like something everybody else must like it as well, thus my sashimi analogy earlier.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that people have different tastes than you, different desires than you, and different likes than you?

We offered foiling as an option, mmclimbhigh said no thank you and that should have been the end of it.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 days foiling, I still windsurf 2-1 this year.
Like today, started on 4.5 and foil as readings top at 15. Get 7 runs in and it comes up to 19.
Switch to 5.7 and 109, rockin fast and ripping jibes.
The lightest days Berkeley gets, 5-15, are good for foiling but I can be going much faster on 111 Isonic and 7.4.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the sort who sees the appeal in trying everything. Plus I spent a lot of time in the exact conditions the OP describes.

I doubt I'd foil if I liked in SF, Maui or possibly even the Gorge. None of which are small inland lakes.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a reason I'm on the fence is because my Naish doesn't float any better than my two 111's and 109.
Similar float plus 1.5 meter smaller sail makes for very uncomfortable slogging, plus I top out with a 5.2 sail at 18 mph gusts, yet easily hold onto a 7.4 in 12-18 where I'm fully lit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: