myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BIIIG (>130 L) slashy windsurf boards?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: BIIIG (>130 L) slashy windsurf boards? Reply with quote

Is there something in the 130-150 litre range with some or most of these attributes, or am I asking too much of a board that big?

1. Designed to turn hard/slash for the hell of it, even in barely knee-high terrain, and ...

2. ... do it with back foot pretty much back where it belongs, and not strapped into the rail.

3. Decent ride in ordinary chop.

4. Manageable for planing with sails from 3.5 to 7.0 (when I get too old or weak for my 115 liter Syncro, I'll be too old for a sail > 6.2 meters.)

5. Reasonably quick to plane on level water.

Or is my 135L SeaLion windSUP my best option, as I realized when bought it for knee rehab? I won't need significant speed, but it DEFINES slow (huge rocker) and has no glide without a wave face. It meets my criteria in winds averaging from 10 to 35 mph, but did I mention that it is freaking SLOW?

I'm just trying to find something to extend my planing and carving TOW by a year or two past the inevitable point at which smaller boards become too much work for an old and ailing man. I hope that point's years way, but I may as well start looking.

Yeah, yeah ... I know ...
• Longboards (except for #s 2 and 3).
• Foils. (Learning curve, cumbersome, a PITA to swim)
• Kites (could be, but then there's that learning curve thing again, and when I encounter a tangled string, I just cut it or throw it away.)
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Exocet 10'5 is 145 liters, 65 cm wide. Very slashy. Stated sail range 4.0 - 7.5. Centered footstraps and narrow tail like a waveboard, but flat rocker before the step tail so it's fast and quick to plane. Also glides / slogs well and can surf waves or swell in marginal conditions. Easy to waterstart because you can rest the boom on the step tail. Newer versions have thruster fin slots but most people just sail it single fin.

https://www.exocet-original.com/longboard-c2x29553073

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: BIIIG (>130 L) slashy windsurf boards? Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

You might be asking too much, as there just aren't that many huge boards
that are speedy and wavey. It might work for you to get a custom board
from Mark Nelson, or even Rob Mulder (he's got big feet like you ;*)).

But there are a couple of options you might consider. Exocet makes an X-wave in 129 ltrs with nearly centered stance rear strap/s. Goya makes
a Volar Pro which is more of a freeride board, but the rear straps are pretty inboard. I have no experience with either (but I am liking my new Goya Custom Wave Thruster).

And you've read about my Angulo Sumo. If you can find a used one, it
would be cheap, and it will turn better than a slalom board, but probably
not nearly as well as you want it to (or as well as the Exocet or Goya).
It has inboard straps.

Good luck, you know how short life is, so you might as well grab something and try it.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
Is there something in the 130-150 litre range with some or most of these attributes, or am I asking too much of a board that big?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: BIIIG (>130 L) slashy windsurf boards? Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
It might work for you to get a custom board from Mark Nelson, or even Rob Mulder (he's got big feet like you ;*)).

Exocet makes an X-wave in 129 ltrs with nearly centered stance rear strap/s. Goya makes a Volar Pro which is more of a freeride board, but the rear straps are pretty inboard. I have no experience with either (but I am liking my new Goya Custom Wave Thruster).

It has inboard straps.

Good luck, you know how short life is, so you might as well grab something and try it.

Yep, (highly active) life is getting shorter, and I am pulling out some stops (like buying a complete foil board setup rather than demoing one). That worked well, and I will be inquiring about a custom board for this "big waveboard" venture. The ground where I usually sail is littered with customs, and their shaper sails there often.

I've researched it online with limited and contradictory results. One magazine review may say a given board is highly maneuverable, the next will say it's strictly a lawn mower/blaster/wide jiber.

I had a 103 X-Wave, and found it significantly less maneuverable than boards I already owned in that size range. Sold it to a guy who values the X-wave's exceptionally quick planing and cushy ride over slashing. The Goya Thruster looks great, but doesn't come in a size I'm looking for.

Keep the ideas coming.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a friends 115 Volar. Its a great board for flat water back an forth sailing. It doesn't check any of the boxes stated...
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be obtuse, but the Synchro should carry a 7.0 without issue?
Or is there another reason you want more volume?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primarily many heavy anti-cancer drugs. Chemotherapy felt better than one or two of the drugs I'm on permanently. My oncologist is angry at me for refusing the worst offender to improve my quality of life.

Sure, the 114 Syncro will carry a 7.0, but when age compounds my medically induced weakness, a 7.0 will be much too big to manage. Already it's a nightmare to waterstart and just rigging any sail is tiring. Bigger volume really reduces the effort that comes with lulls.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OES is known for jumbo wave boards.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have answered your own question already, this doesn’t exist in the form you are asking for.
I have a tri fin conversion, Tabou Rocket 135liter, not wide, that I added side boxes to.

It has advantages :
shallow water due to shorter fin, fins, upwind is enhanced, I would not describe it as slashy, but turns are much more like a smaller FSW than a Freeride.
Negatives: planing is probably slightly less with more drag, top speed less. Neither have ever prompted me to install the long fin, instead of a 28 and 12 sides.

Side boxes are ProBox, about 10 bucks, plus the materials to install, very robust with these small fin.
YMMV.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been riding an RRD Firemove LTD V3 for two seasons and I am still amazed at how well it carves. It is early to plane and smoother than some smaller boards I have owned. Mine is the 100, as I am 145#, so I can’t say how well that translates up to the 135. It’s available at Isthmus for what looks to me like a pretty good price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: