myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Flow Viz wind forecasts no longer usable; COMPLAIN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Flow Viz wind forecasts no longer usable; COMPLAIN Reply with quote

I sent this to Weatheflow Support. If you agree, add your complaints to the Support button at the bottom of the page.

I used to heavily use your Flow Viz graphic forecast. Now 80% of the page is nothing but ads, and even the tiny remaining data window is obscured with the scaling/timing scale. I'm paying for this service; why should it be covered with ads ... even despite AdBlock, which is now mandatory if we want our desktop space back.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their response:
Thanks for reaching out. What you describe is not typical of the website view. Can you send a screenshot of the issue if the following suggestions don't help? Thanks!

1. You can disable favorites/menu/tool bars for the browser to open up more viewing space.
2. You can adjust the zoom level in the browser settings for the website. Depending on screen resolution 80-90% allows for a bit more map space.

I hope this helps.

Also, a browser ad blocker might be preventing content from loading on the website. We are a very small company and the banner ads help us stay in business so we can continue providing you with the best wind info around!

Re #1: Yeah, right. Like anyone would reconfigure their screen just to display one freaking frame THEY'RE PAYING FOR and restoring maybe 5% of the viewing area.

#2 helped immensely. It eliminated whatever was so dramatically changed just days ago. This screen invasion was not so bad just last week (only about 50% invasion), but 84% obscuration IS the typical/normal/default scenario now.

HOWEVER: I would be overjoyed if I could just pay someone to delete ALL the ads in my life. Whether on TV, radio, computer, cell phone, landline, newspaper, billboards, magazines ... I NEVER LOOK AT OR LISTEN TO THEM. I'm fact-driven, not PR-driven. If I want INFORMATION about something, I'd rather seek and parse it voluntarily. I do not want it shoved down my throat or coated with bling and BS. This is MY GD computer, not the rest of the world's, and there's no excuse for reducing my giant screen to a few square inches of information.

AdBlock helps, but still lets ads and graphics obscure 84% of my desktop screen, including a fat black hour-selection bar right through the center of that remaining view window. That's not acceptable.
norcom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Ublock Origin. You can selectivly block any web element on any site. Some become more of a hassle but you don't have to rely on a 3rd party to choose what "ad" addresses should be blocked. Though it has that built in as well.

Install addon, right click on whatever element on a site you want, click block element. You'll get a popup at the bottom to "preview" or "create". You can also add custom code to block anything and everything if you know how.
vientomas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ghostery.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had time to try you guys' ad blocking suggestions, partly because Weatherflow cleaned up their act... for a while. Now they're at it again, filling 80% (that's better than 84%, but not by much) of my screen with advertising $#!+ ON A SITE FOR WHICH I PAY THEM CASH. (The highest rated ad blocker, AdBlock, fails miserably.) I'm trying hard to find an app which will eradicate ALL advertising.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: