myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mittens ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: mittens ? Reply with quote

here in the NE, cold water/wx will be upon us soon enough. time to start thinking of mittens. I have been using the dakine mittens (3mm with the textured palm area no neoprene). they work really well...no hand fatigue, and keep my hands/fingers warm down to about low 40's air temp. 30's air temp my hand will stay wamr for awhile...and then i have to take a break on the beach to get my hands aclimated to the cold.

so my question is ....are there any other alterantives ? I don't like the open palm mittens. but was wondering if there are other mittens maybe 3 or 5mm, but very thing palm area say 1mm or thin like the dakine ?

i am on my second pair of dakines...and they are satrting to fall apart. (i sail alot in the winter)
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest the open palm mittens but you dont like those
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add thick nitrile gloves under them.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Add thick nitrile gloves under them.

Alternatively skinned Kittens would do Twisted Evil
wdsurf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Mitts Reply with quote

Have used dakine mitts since they came out were good.now wear NP mitts like nite and day warmer! Sail water and air all the time in the 30,s temps.best gloves in 38 years hands down!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys do when you need to adjust or fix something offshore? I quit that crap after I had to throw away a complete rig 100 feet from shore (sideshore winds in a big NM lake) to get my board and body back to shore after removing a glove to fix something. (I've also never experienced worse pain than thawing very cold hands.)
wdsurf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Cold hands Reply with quote

Usually come back in take off gloves make adjustments just so I don,t rip mitts say downhauling sail or adjusting boom
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three fingered "lobster" gloves are THE best thing ever! Expensive ($60) but totally worth it. Previously, I could only last about 45 min even with best gloves, but over 2 hrs with the 3-fingered gloves, and hands not cold even a little bit. Can still do every free-style trick while wearing them too!

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/2019-np-gbl-3-finger-5mm-armorskin-neoprene-glove/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIodXltuO45AIVRdbACh3abA2yEAQYAiABEgLqyvD_BwE

rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigitrite / wdsurf,

I'm assuming you both are talking about the same NP mitts - the 3 finger lobster gloves. They look awfully thick in the palms - don't your hands and forearms get tired? Just curious what your experiences were cause I'd like to look into a new option besides the dakine mitts. Been happy with Dakine but there's gotta be something better.

Rob
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rswabsin wrote:
Rigitrite / wdsurf,

I'm assuming you both are talking about the same NP mitts - the 3 finger lobster gloves. They look awfully thick in the palms - don't your hands and forearms get tired? Just curious what your experiences were cause I'd like to look into a new option besides the dakine mitts. Been happy with Dakine but there's gotta be something better.

Rob

Rob, quite the opposite. Every other type of glove has made my forearms tired, until I tried these. They keep your hands warm and your forearms like you're not even wearing a wetsuit. I have the NP version, and while the neoprene is quite thick, it's very soft. So soft that using them for freestyle for a season has caused some tears that I had to repair. I like them so much that I bought a second pair.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: