myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
foil-board-mod -- moving the straps on an old formula board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: foil-board-mod -- moving the straps on an old formula board Reply with quote

My old formula board wasn't so great for foiling due to footstrap placement... So I moved the straps! Easier said than done, but now it's AWESOME! Figured I'd share. A few photos attached below. Complete photo tour of the mod in this album:

foil-board-mod

Some of you may recall that I posted here a while back (in this thread) asking for painting advice rather late in the project. Thanks for your input/suggestions!

Now I've spent most of this season sailing on the mod'd board. End result? I'm completely blown away. Board is now perfectly balanced on foil, at pretty much any point of sail. I *love* rigging for a little extra power and sailing really steep angles up and down wind, especially with the center "cheater" strap for deep downwind angles. Feel like I can go anywhere with this kit! The board shape seems to be surprisingly forgiving in touchdowns, and (less surprisingly) pumps quite well onto foil. But most dramatic after the mod is just how comfortable and balanced it feels while foiling. I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, I'm super stoked with it, so had to share. For anyone who tells you "formula boards don't make good foil boards", well, I guess I have to agree... until you move the footstraps! Smile

FWIW, I'm typically pairing this with a Slingshot FWIND foilset (Infinity 76 front wing) and their 90cm mast, along with an Ezzy Hydra 7.0 most days, or Zeta 5.2 when it's breezier.

IMG_20190126_195722 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.97 KB
 Viewed:  27918 Time(s)

IMG_20190126_195722 (1).jpg

IMG_20190512_112833 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  438.5 KB

IMG_20190512_112833 (1).jpg

IMG_20190512_112939 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  435.96 KB

IMG_20190512_112939 (1).jpg

IMG_20190512_115033 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  394.61 KB

IMG_20190512_115033 (1).jpg

LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoked for you.

Nice nose pad on the mast too, where you get that?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for sharing. A few questions:

- Did you move the back straps back a little bit, in addition to moving them inboard?

- Did you foil that board last week or so in Kalmus? I never looked closely at the board, just remember it looked like a formula, but I remember the Hydra 7 and the smaller Ezzy sail.

If that was indeed you last week in Kalmus, then you've definitely proven that an old formula board works perfectly well even in less-than-perfect conditions.
grayson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
- Did you move the back straps back a little bit, in addition to moving them inboard?

Yup, good eye. Gave myself a few options with the new inserts, but where I landed was with the back straps in by about 2" and back by about 1.5". Front straps are in by about 2" and pretty much in-line with where they were front-to-back.

boardsurfr wrote:
- Did you foil that board last week or so in Kalmus? I never looked closely at the board, just remember it looked like a formula, but I remember the Hydra 7 and the smaller Ezzy sail.

Yup, that was me. Fun week last week! Pretty gusty up&down much of the time, but three darn good days of sailing there. Here's from my Wednesday afternoon session...

https://www.relive.cc/view/gh39340872643
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool video. You're getting nice angles on the foil, the wide board should help there. The top speed of 19 mph seems pretty typical for the i76 and the conditions.
grayson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:

Thanks. Made that myself. Figured I'd protect my newly mod'd board from myself. Wink It's just four thick layers of minicell foam cut to shape on a bandsaw and then bonded together with contact cement. An image of the profile I cut to is attached here. Size it for an 8" outer diameter, leaves ~2" inner diameter to fit an RDM mast. Run paracord or similar through the drilled holes to allow fastening a cord and bungee (respectively) through the boom cutout and foot cutout.

Pic attached too for those who didn't make it through the whole photo tour of the board mod to the video at the very end. Cool

mast-pillow-8in-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.49 KB
 Viewed:  27812 Time(s)

mast-pillow-8in-1.jpg

windfoil_2019-07-14_snap_04-39.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.7 MB
 Viewed:  27812 Time(s)

windfoil_2019-07-14_snap_04-39.jpg

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which mast position do you use for this board? I'd guess B should work for the 76 wing, maybe even A?
grayson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Which mast position do you use for this board? I'd guess B should work for the 76 wing, maybe even A?

You guessed it:
> Position B with the 76 wing and long fuse.
> Position C with the 84 wing and long fuse.
I have the short fuse too, but haven't yet played with it on anything other than a wakefoil board.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grayson wrote:
LUCARO wrote:

Thanks. Made that myself.

Sick thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: