myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New 2020 Naish 1150 wing first thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: New 2020 Naish 1150 wing first thoughts Reply with quote

Got my new 2020 wing and new 2019 122 foil board out today. Was on the 130 Sling Shot Dialer and 76 wing.
First of all the whole set up feels super lite compared to the SS. The abracadabra mounting plate is outstanding. Adjustable slide foil track should be on every board. One tool fits every screw. The foil cover is worthless. I got the 2019 90cm mast pretty cheap and it fit perfect.
Almost 2 seasons on the SS. I could rig small and pump up on the foil with ease. Glide thru lulls and fly level pretty easy. Make a few foil turns,
not crash or foil out. MOSTLY. No matter how I set up the foil I couldn't use the straps and be in control. Front foot next to the strap and back foot center against the back strap gave excellent control up wind and down wind in the harness.
The Naish, I set everything in the middle. Wing, sail and foot straps. After the first ride I was foiling in both straps. Then in both straps while pumping. I thought this was impossible before.
The 1150 wing is small compared to the 76. It took more board speed to fly. But I could still get going before most on a 4.7 with some strong pumps. It feels faster but that's not why i foil. In foiling slow is the new fast. The wing is very responsive side to side. Which I like. It doesn't glide like the 76 in the lulls. It stalls sooner so I'm guessing it will be a bit harder to foil a turn. SOOO whats not to like. The fore and aft control is not as good as the 76 for me. Keep in mind that this was the first time out and the first time foiling in both straps. I'm sure all that will improve with time on the water. BUT... I got mine from Big Winds. Great shop to deal with. I called them and they are sending the larger Jet 1250 wing. Its 10 cm shorter tip to tip but quite a bit longer front to back. Its also a lower aspect wing. 1150 is 5.6 1250 is 4.0 the 76 wing is 3.7 Not sure what all that will do but will find out shortly. If anyone cares I'll post what I find...
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff!
Sail needed for each wing in the same winds.
I always wondered how 195 lbs. Kevin can use the same sail size as me 160 lbs. He's using 84 sometimes.
Are you using outside straps? That kinda goes with freeride foils as opposed to the '18 early planers that I use.
I see all different strap and foil placements with Naish 122 now 125. They seem to work for that rider.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I tried a RRD 91 and it's freeride foil with 120 fuselage last week. Seemed fine, not too different than the Naish setup.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Good stuff!
Sail needed for each wing in the same winds.
I always wondered how 195 lbs. Kevin can use the same sail size as me 160 lbs. He's using 84 sometimes.
Are you using outside straps? That kinda goes with freeride foils as opposed to the '18 early planers that I use.
I see all different strap and foil placements with Naish 122 now 125. They seem to work for that rider.

I learned on the 84 but haven't used the 84 since the winter. sold it quite awhile ago b/c as you know i just like to ride one thing, so I'm always foiling on the 76/125 with a 4.0 unless it's really light and then i'll rig the 4.4

interesting comments by novaan about the footstraps... i wonder if the footstraps are in the wrong place on the Dialer? I know the inserts position on my 2019 Wizard are slightly different from the 2018. Maybe we can measure everything relative to the fin box (or center of the pedestal tracks). thanks for the informative review!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novaan,

Can you throw both foils on a scale?

Thanks,
Grant
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you put the Slingshot foil on the new board? I'm thinking that having a contrasting go of it might be revealing.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold the Sling Shot gear. It really did work good. Just heavy to carry up and down the hill to the water. And I wanted the adjustable foil mount
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 2020 1250 wing out today. It fly's earlier. Easier to control front to back. Glides in lulls better and is slower.. I have been foiling for two and a half seasons and I'm no expert but here is my thoughts.
Go with the 1250 if: your a bigger guy, want to foil in the less wind on small sails, are new to foiling and if control is more important than speed.
Go with the 1150 if: your a lite weight, don't mind a sail half a meter larger, can keep a level flight and you don't fear speed on the foil.
There is just enough difference between the two that I'm glad that I decided to keep both. As I get comfortable on the new board and foils, the 1150 might become my go to wing. In the fall we get 10 to 15 mph winds. A 5.2 and the 1250 wind will shine. Hope this helps anyone interested in the new Naish foils. I think everything about the board from the foil track, fit and finish and weight are really good. I'm 165/170 pounds been windsurfing since 1981...
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I sold the Sling Shot gear. It really did work good. Just heavy to carry up and down the hill to the water. And I wanted the adjustable foil mount

another foiler up here said his Dialer is really heavy... like 22 or 23lbs. I think my Wizard 125 is closer to 16 or 17lbs. The Slingshot foils (especially the fuselage) are also on the heavy side. Looking forward to the 2020s which will offer a lighter platform that still is compatible with the Infinity series wings.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep hard to beat that 76 wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: