myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling and jibing = blowing up
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Foiling and jibing = blowing up Reply with quote

Hey all.

looking for some advice on jibing my foil.
Background: 165#, can plane out of jibes, duck jibe, carve 360, UW360 in straps, on a regular windsurf board.
Set up is a Naish 120 SUP/WS crossover with a Naish Thrust foil. Front straps full forward, no rear straps. Used with a Severne Freek 6.3 or Revo 5.7, 5.2 Flyer. Mast base in the middle. Foil rear wing neutral.

I've been out on this set up 6 times, so am a foil novice.
I finally can get up and go straight maintaining and adjusting height fine.
However, whenever I go to jibe, I blow up about 1/2 way into my jibe.
Foiling out or going sideways. I've tried to be very still on my jibe without much body or foot movement. I'm thinking I probably have to lean forward more to keep the foil down ? Not sure what other tips folks might have

thanks in advance.
Jeff
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaching while jibing, get back foot up next to front strap. Down pressure boom.
Wiggling out of balance, set feet close together while bending knees in balanced posture. Head up looking at horizon.
All feet have to stay inside a small box on the centerline and fore or aft of the center of straps depending on setup. Any feet outside upsets the kettle.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately for me, foiling is an athletic activity closer to yoga, ballet, and gymnastics...as opposed to football, basketball, wrestling.
Freestyle windsurfers instantly adapt, while slalom sailors might be befuddled for weeks.
But, the light wind capability is unquestioned.
Just try to avoid those 3-18mpg days.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foil jibing, especially at first, is different than regular windsurf jibing (especially step jibing), so you need to adjust your technique

here are some tips for jibing freeride oriented foil gear

one of the first things I think helps is rig small and don't sheet in/oversheet on the entry the way that you may do regular windsurfing. you can do it, but you have to be more subtle. you also want to get the COE of the sail to the outside of the turn a little earlier than you would on a regular board. footwork wise, don't step forward of the front strap when you change your feet... go straight into the strap. don't sheet in hard when you flip the sail

here's a short vid i made with three different foil jibes... mostly to illustrate the footwork

https://youtu.be/bYtfOfZBThA

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many months I would breach in 95% of my gybe attempts (all step gybe). But as soon as I started doing the carve gybe I got way better.

One of the big advantages of the carve gybe for me is that the foot switch comes towards the end of the gybe, when the board has slowed down and tends to be lower in the water, so if I screw up the foot switch and spend too much time down the back of the board I do not breach.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance
What is the difference? Everyone carves, everyone steps.
canada9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to some tips on the Sailworks website:

https://www.sailworks.com/6-windfoil-jibe-tips

LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Pardon my ignorance
What is the difference? Everyone carves, everyone steps.

HaHa yeah. Check kevin's video. In the carve gybe the sail is flipped before the feet and you sail out of the gybe switch. In the step gybe the feet go before the sail flip.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other tip I found is that if you rail the board over then you are less likely to breach if you step wrong. If you overweight the tail with the board railed over then the board just carves faster.

This is hearsay, cause I cannot do them, but there is a kind of foil gybe where the sail is moved to windward to manuever the board downwind a bit like a non planning gybe. In this gybe the board stays flat which makes foot placement errors much more costly, at least from my experience. If you overweight the tail you breach, unless the board is very low in the water, if you overweight the outer rail the board stops turning and you crash.

My foil gybes are very similar to how I wish I could gybe on my freestyle board: board railed over, sail to leeward and oversheeted a bit, late foot swtich.

Also you don't always have to hit the front strap. A little shuffle is OK. As per this guy here

https://youtu.be/0WzgKhWTviE?t=61

Last edited by LUCARO on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of jibes are made using both, as sail is flipped as feet are moving.
Can't foil jibe yet, but I can jibe ws better than 95% of windsurfers...and never took a lesson or watched any video. At least not with any interest. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: