myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
freewave boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
p.s. with the market being ever so small, if i say anything untrue, it comes back right away. yes, we all sell our ideas and performance on these forums. seems as though anything anyone says prompts a bunch of nattering nabobs.....

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned the following FSW boards over the previous 4 years:
Goya One 105 L (tri fin)
Tabou 3S (now called 3S classic) 116 L
Quatro Tetra 109 L
Fanatic FW Stubby 105 L
Severne Dyno 115 L

For flat water bump and jump and the ability to handle chop the Tabou 3S and the Severne Dyno get my recommendation. Tabou #1 and Severne close #2 in bump and jump conditions. For pure wave riding applications the Severne Dyno and the Fanatic FW Stubby were the best. Severne #1 and Fanatic #2. I can see why you found the Fanatic Stubby too bouncy, but the Severne has a much more settled ride.

The Quatro Tetra and the Goya One were also good compromise boards, but I feel the Severne is as good in chop while being more satisfying in the waves. I also demoed the newer Goya One 106 in Maui, and it felt similar to the previous generation Goya One, possibly less wave / more flat water oriented than the previous generation.

I now almost exclusively sail the Severne here in Florida for waves and flat water even though I have plenty of other boards in the garage.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dyno 115 has a narrower tail than the Fanatic FW Stubby 105, so that may be part of your answer.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the fw stubby as a single and you'll be surprised!
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tabou 3S classic is my all time favorite. I had the 96 and 116 (2012/2013). I don't think I've ever loved a freewave board so much. Just incredible boards.

DC
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should have kept trying with the stubby freewave. I love my 105 - much better than what would be the previous generation JP FSW I used to have. It takes some getting used to-I agree the spin out can be an issue , but it’s easy to pull back. I ride in light DTL side/side on conditions and it comes off the bottom and smacks the lip nicely. The fanatic ‘stubby’ concept is not a fad. I also have a Blast 115 and I can tell you that thing rips free ride. It’s so nice be on a relatively narrow board vs the wide free ride shapes.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loopless wrote:
It’s so nice be on a relatively narrow board vs the wide free ride shapes.

That's why I have and regularly sail about 20 narrow wave boards. They're just more exciting than my newer, stubbier boards and the even newer ones I've tested.

Oops ... never mind ... it's their smooth ride in chop.

Well, not so much the ride and the speed as their rabid carving ability in the crappiest terrain.

No, it's their precision in terrain following with the hammer down in said crappy terrain or big, clean swell.

Then at times it's the complete trust I have in them not to pearl when blasting downwind way overpowered.

Or maybe it's their price: I've paid much more for some restaurant breakfasts than I have for many of my most priceless boards ... the ones I call CDH boards ... Cold Dead Hands.

Ahh, WTH ... it's all that, and more.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote, loopless, (stubby freewave) 'I ride in light DTL ....and it comes off the bottom and smacks the lip nicely.' That describes exactly what my relatively old custom tri fin wave ski (short and wide) excels at, so the attraction is clear and agree with you that 'stubby' in windsurfing is not just a fad. The fact that I now prefer a moderate length and width (Exocet Cross 08 94 litres) single fin windsurfing board for 'do it all', is probably my failing in no longer wanting to be so radical.(Ouch, it hurts!)

When you say 'it's nice to be on a relatively narrow board vs the wide freeride shapes,' talking about freeride, not surfing, it's another bulls eye for many of us. When I compare my fairly modern Exocet Cross 2008 94 litre ( 240 by 60 ish) with, say, my 1998 Bic Saxo 94 litre (270 long and very narrow) it's clear that the Cross is far more versatile, and wins hands down. Though when things are taken to extremes in the stubby trend, I would much prefer that old Saxo (it can perform) to one of 'them', no matter how many fins, or because of, they choose to sprout!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Quote, loopless, (stubby freewave) 'I ride in light DTL ....and it comes off the bottom and smacks the lip nicely.' That describes exactly what my relatively old custom tri fin wave ski (short and wide) excels at, so the attraction is clear and agree with you that 'stubby' in windsurfing is not just a fad. The fact that I now prefer a moderate length and width (Exocet Cross 08 94 litres) single fin windsurfing board for 'do it all', is probably my failing in no longer wanting to be so radical.(Ouch, it hurts!)

When you say 'it's nice to be on a relatively narrow board vs the wide freeride shapes,' talking about freeride, not surfing, it's another bulls eye for many of us. When I compare my fairly modern Exocet Cross 2008 94 litre ( 240 by 60 ish) with, say, my 1998 Bic Saxo 94 litre (270 long and very narrow) it's clear that the Cross is far more versatile, and wins hands down. Though when things are taken to extremes in the stubby trend, I would much prefer that old Saxo (it can perform) to one of 'them', no matter how many fins, or because of, they choose to sprout!
somebody always has to bring up fins. Smile

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I was thinking of 'You Too'. Wink and couldn't resist!

But on a wider point - Much like the 7 ages of man, there are ages (changing priorities) in the windsurfing game, for those with excess of 35 years of going hammer and tongs at it.From what I observe few last such a time span without a change of direction. Some just fade away and move on; some develop nasty habits such as kiting, foiling, and just talking a good day in the car park; some catch the cycling bug (me too) which they carelessly allow to gradually take precedence, and only appear at the beach once in a blue moon. (Always with excuses.)

For those of us who do stay the course, and will continue to do so, radical can no longer be a valid objective. We peaked a long time ago. We are no longer able to 'progress' if that in fact has any obvious purpose) so we settle for continuity, and SATISFACTION, which would involve a 'normal decent' session, with many smiles, and optional singing.

I really can't see why such no longer appeals to those who simply drift away. It did once, so what has so changed for them??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: