myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
beginner board size for a friend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: beginner board size for a friend Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been teaching/helping a friend learn to windsurf this past month.
She's done quite well thus far after 4 trips using my Exocet Windsup 10 - 170 liters, 81 cm wide, daggerboard on a local lake. She has been out in light wind, but handled up to 20 mph gusts. She can go straight, stay upwind and tack reasonably well, working on pivot jibes. Still hasn't been planing or beach starts.

Anyhow, she's looking for her own board. She's pretty light at 130#, has a nice 4.2 rig already. I was thinking something like a Bic Techno 160 D (with dagger) would be a good board for her to keep for a bit longer than a pure beginner board and still have the dagger to keep upwind.... but since she's so light she could go with something like 130 liters and grow into it, but I wasn't sure how she'd fair without the dagger at her stage. My next board size down from that is a 120 liter Naish Crossover Windsup (quad fin/foil) board so not the best for her to try to sail, but she has paddled/Sup'ed it with stability.

thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Jeff
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think she'll find anything more perfect than the WindSUP 10' she has already been using. If you're itchy to experiment with boards, give her the trusty WindSUP and buy yourself a board to experiment with. Razz
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I think James is right. After the Windsup, I think she'd find the Techno 160 disappointing in light wind, with the same width but 50 cm shorter. Even for starting to plane, the Windsup has the advantage of having less of a "hump".

Once she's fully hooked and planing, she'd probably want to ditch the Techno for a smaller board (or perhaps for a smaller board and a longer board with better glide if she keeps sailing lakes and light winds).
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed with those above. windSUP 10' is a life long board. take anywhere and have a blast with it. if you do not want to keep loaning yours tell her to buy her own.

newer constructions available too. click on my signature line link to take a look

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys
Great to hear your thoughts as I know you’ve all had the board.
Too bad these boards don’t come up for sale used.
@James, LOL. I purchased a Naish crossover and foil for light wind so def no budget for another board ! Also the windsup has been great for my kids and teaching beginners like at AMC upcoming.
@Peter, good to hear your thoughts comparing to techno
@John, thanks for the info on new construction
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are so bitten by planing in strong wind they get a shortboard as soon as possible and thereafter avoid light wind. Some are so bitten by graceful gliding in light wind they always have a longboard in their quiver.

In my 36th season I still love longboards. So I write this in favor of assuming every beginner who falls in love with windsurfing will always want to have a longboard, no matter how many higher performance boards are in the quiver.
I always want to have enough equipment to windsurf in all the wind speeds I can handle.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the honest wind conditions where you are? How fast of a progresser is she? What is her storage situation?
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she's done remarkably well in only a few sessions.
very natural with her balance and control.
I think she'll progress very quickly. She already wants to go fast
Winds in central mass are usually 10-20, but easy access to RI and the Cape with much better winds. She already has a SUP (not a windsurfable one) so I 'd think she has plenty of storage and already has a roof rack.
awinders

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi wsmtbskate,
I visit mass on vacation a couple times a year.
I'm curious where do you sail in central mass? How often does it make it up to 17-20?
thanks,
andy
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Andy
I do 1/3-1/2 of my sailing at Lake Quaboag in Brookfield MA.
its a 500 acre, shallow lake. Topography such that gets wind funneled in when coming from S/SW and W directions, so it's gusty like every inland sailing location, but the wind tends not to be to swirly ie not changing directions too badly. I've had some great sessions there. It gets windy there probably once a week on average, usually when I have to work, LOL. Weed fin is a must after July or so. If you're out this way and it's windy, shoot me an message and I'll try to join you. I pretty much sail there alone, although met a few guys ice boarding there this past winter a few times.
Best winds
Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: