myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 254, 255, 256 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good one.
Don't 7'ers age badly?
I wonder if 5'7" dudes do better as they age.
Couple days ago, arrived at 5, watched Ming and another foiler flounder in 5-10 breeze. Ming on 5.0.
I rig 5.0 hoping for a pump session.
As the sail is being connected, both foilers make it to CSC dock. It's instantly 22 in the gusts.
Struggle for 4 runs, falling at the jibe apex on 3, run to grab the 105 x-cite, watch Ming zoom off the dock on 96 liter and same 5.0, I snail out as Mings gets one reach and slog back. I slog back, click on the foil, and get 1/2 hour of slog/mad pumo to foil and slog.
Coulda watched the whole nonsense dry from shore.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I should take up knitting.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Coyote May 31 Reply with quote

Finally! a great day at Coyote. I arrive at 3 pm and looks good but I do not want surprises and so I rig my Point-7 ACX 5.4 (2019) and go out with the RRD FSW 90. A perfect afternoon, very very powered up, the wind steadily ramps up, but the RRD seems to swallow up all the chop and swell and the 2019 ACX is a marvel of stability and speed. The 2017 ACX I had were very fast (clocked at more than 30 knots) but the new model seems even better locked in (maybe thanks to the dacron luff?) plus it has a shorter boom, 160 for the 5.4: so easy to handle.

Did I mention speed? later in the afternoon I come back to add a bit of downhaul and I go back out side by side to an Isonic 90 (not sure what sail size, for sure more than 6.0) and ... I am not loosing ground. Close the gap and hunker down and this thing really goes. The RRD is "sticky" on the take off, but once it goes it is quite fast especially in the swell. Besides speed there you have it: wonderful runs deep into the channel where the water turns deep blue, power jumps, hero jibes on the swell ... WINDSURFING!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Only negative ... the return traffic: more than one hour thanks to the techies who insist to work down the Peninsula, live in San Francisco, and spend vast parts of their lives stuck on the freeway commuting by car ... Shocked Twisted Evil Shocked
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, how is your windfoiling coming along?
I suspect Vincent ha turned more towards windsurfing or paddleboarding.
I'm certainly one of the worse foilers for 20 days. Still rising and dropping, breaching followed by long slog sessions.
Hope you get more good days.
Oh, as you know, I have a 111 Isonic and.
an Exocet 95.
Also a RRD Fsw 100 and Firewave 92.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that crazy Eddy images posted by windfind tonight and the unfavorable WSW winds forecast for today (Saturday). Somehow the stick was spared of all that byproduct of Eddy- unfavorable WSW wind since noon. Although not as good as yesterdays, I managed to have some fun on 4.5/90 combo. One diehard was still out when I left at 6:30 but wind came down a lot passed 5. Maybe 10 guys showed up on 4.0 to 7.0 sails. surprisingly, no foilers.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably 15th day past 3 weeks on 5.0, and 90 liter Carve at Berkeley
Just part of the cycle, some years good nw, some years lotsa fog sw.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Dave, how is your windfoiling coming along?

I had maybe three days on it when I was rigged right and a few more when I rigged way too small to do anything but slog. I think I foiled the last time in late March or early April? Because of the rain and lack of wind I felt like I was wasting the few times I could actually sail trying to learn something new and having no fun at all.

Now the wind is too strong when it comes up. The idea is to pick it up again in September, or if the wind is light and regular (good luck with it). Will see what happens, I might give it up all together if I continue to be frustrated Very Happy Shocked
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you!
It's frustrating, and you were right last year when you said the winds here just don't work for foiling...unless you have a course slalom foil anyways.
Almost every day is predicted to be light..like 5-15. In actual real time, more like 7-23, at least at Berkeley.
I can windsurf 7-23 by jibing in the gusts and staying away from the holes, but foiling the gusts really tax me so I look for the midrange which invariably leads me into a hole where I gotta jump out of my straps and slog...which I hate at 70 years of age.
One light while in the dark tunnel. I have jumped about 6' distance and have foiled thru the apex, so foiling jibes are just around the corner.
Even with my Futura 111 or Isonic 111, I can plane in as little wind [11-16] as anyone has been able to foil with my 7.4 vs the foiler's 6.5.
Got my 84 liter Naish 8'6" and Rogue Wave 80 liter in the van right now expecting 5.3 conditions at Berkeley.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually find wind foiling to be much less frustrating in flukey winds compared to regular windsurfing. i've learned to adjust for the gusts and lulls, and it's much easier to coast through the lulls full speed... especially with a big wing.

Wednesday Stick... super windy. 4.0 STB 95 for me. HC got blown off the water on 4.4 and rigged down to 3.7/86. My buddy visiting from France did 4.2/88 Old until he went down to a more stable 4.0.

Friday Stick: 4.4 & STB 95 or Wizard 125/76 & 3.7 foiling. my friend and I traded back and forth.

Pretty impressive that it was my friend's 4th day ever foiling. He had done 3 days in the south of France over Easter. I sent him out first on the foil hoping he could get some runs in before it got too windy. He proceeded to foil some but go downwind. I had to rig quickly so I could get to him, switch gear so we could sail everything back upwind. 4.4/95 felt great. Like a nice regular Stick day.

I foiled around for a little while while he worked his way back upwind. He was getting smeared a bit when we switched back. He was holding too much power in the sail while flying, and it was pretty windy. I told him to stand straighter up (and not lean out) and basically just hold onto the sail instead of leaning back against the power. It clicked, and he was foiling steady the rest of the day. He also started using the harness regularly and started trying jibes for the first time. Anyway, he flies back to France today... with a new foil. Everybody was stoked at Stick that day. Just felt like a nice, regular Stick day... something we have not had a whole lot of this year.

Here's some video of his foiling that day

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByOIijdnIuf/

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rig 4.0 as wind reads 10-17...as usual, it comes up.
Reads 14-23, rerig to 5.0 and 80 liter FSW and plane 95% with lots VERY powered...for close to 2 hours.
I would really like to make my first foiling jibe, but this won't line up.
Who ever heard of 11 out of 12 days at Berkeley with 5-5.3 as the sail size of choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 254, 255, 256 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 255 of 329

Jump to: