myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
While waiting for warmer weather...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: While waiting for warmer weather... Reply with quote

Something to watch while waiting for the first 100-degree day in the Northeast: https://youtu.be/mGhixVSdv_I

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Peter. I'm surprised you and Nina came home! Did you bring your own gear ?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We brought one board bag each, for a total of 2 boards, 4 sails, 2 booms, and 4 masts. $200 per bag each way, so $800 total (may be more in the future, United changed their policies). All gear was slalom/speed gear.

We got a loaner slalom board there (which ended up being the board I used the most), and bought a wave board that we sold again for the same price. Nina also got a couple of wave sails and a mast for free. Most importantly, we got three loaner fins that were essential at the really weedy spots. They were deltas cast in aluminum that work much better than other deltas I have tried. All our new PBs were with these fins.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent video. Thanks for sharing. That is some flat water! I'm headed to NZ/ Oz next year, so I'm interested.........did you have all those spots identified before getting on the plane, or took local advice when you got there? Did you rent the drone? Thanks.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We knew about the speed spots from postings on the GPS Team Challenge (http://gpsteamchallenge.com.au) and the Seabreeze forum. We had seen videos for Lake George and Mandurah Bay, and I wanted to sail Lake George since the first videos. This year was a "bad" year for Lake George, with the water levels about a foot higher than in good years, but it was still a fantastic spot (as were Albany and Mandurah Bay).

I bought the drone for the trip. It a Spark, which is good for traveling since it's small. Not so great for windsurfing footage since the top speed is lower than for other drones, but it was ok for the light wind days.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's helpful.
Ronald.C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Nina and Peter

Sailing in NE is just around the corner

RC
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, I tried yesterday, but I don't think I'm ready for the cold yet. It was in the high 90s when we left Oz. 6 mm neoprene, extra layers, gloves and hood - it's all still a bit much. It did not help that the wind went bonkers at the Kennedy Slicks just after I rigged so I was way overpowered. Maybe I'm just spoiled rotten..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: