myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Climate Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 192, 193, 194  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colluding with Russian scientists is a crime and should be punishable!!!
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing expected, nothing delivered.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet you keep returning, you know what they say about that kind of behavior.
Or are you just hoping for a miracle?
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess NW is so smart he does his own surgeries as well. I’ve heard he is so stable and brilliant he makes his own televisions and smart phones. That guy sure does know his science.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’ that? Oh you really aren’t that smart that you make your own televisions? I thought that would be stable genus level. What’s that? Oh, that you’re just really, really, really stubborn and set in your ways? Well that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a tube radio and amp in high school. Does that count?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
The Russian paper can be found here: http://www.gaoran.ru/english/astrometr/abduss_nkj_2009.pdf

It is from 2009 and claims that warming has stopped—a conclusion at odds with data.

The more recent hoopla in Britain is covered here: https://www.iflscience.com/environment/mini-ice-age-hoopla-giant-failure-science-communication/

Sigh. A desire to believe what we want aflicts us all.

Mac

If you are referring to GT's posts in the past on the Russian Scientist theories. I would have to say my take away was not the same as yours. I saw GT's posts as presenting some data and evaluation that any thinking person should look at and decide on the merits. Questioning the science of the day with thoughtful diligence is exactly what we should be doing isn't it? And, isn't it rare that anyone these days is actually exercising an opinion based on thinking for himself? I welcome this questioning and feel it is important.

I am curious from GT where he currently stands on this issue.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
I guess NW is so smart he does his own surgeries as well. I’ve heard he is so stable and brilliant he makes his own televisions and smart phones. That guy sure does know his science.

Reading comprehension obviously not your forte', that is mac you are speaking of.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluefish, does circumcising yourself count as surgery? I kind of did that getting caught in my zipper. Laughing
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB—I asked GT for a citation on the article, thinking to take another look. His response was kind of over the top, and the hostility to peer review was astonishing, so I dug up the original article, from 2008. It’s a very short paper, and indeed predicted a mini-ice age by 2014. Didn’t happen. As my citation noted, he is not really a climate scientist. The new article, which was apparently mis-interpreted by the press to be support for the Russian guys theory, doesn’t say much, and certainly doesn’t conclude that we’re about to have another ice age. I don’t know enough about the more recent paper to venture an opinion—I posted a secondary source. I’m not going to blame the author for the press coverage—controversy sells papers. But the first is not credible. It hasn’t been picked up by any other scientists, and he is just wrong on the physics.

Sunspots do have a very small impact on the amount of energy reaching the earth. No effect on what is reflected. I looked into it after checking a denier claim and posted a citation. I can’t remember what the magnitude of the impact was, but I think it was one or two tenths of a degree. It is pretty straightforward to calculate solar flux, and the variation by sun spots is small in comparison. Here’s a Scientific American article about it: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sun-spots-and-climate-change/

Since in the real world, I have a role in California policy making, I have checked on dozens of claims. Nearly all track back to denier propaganda. A few are downright silly—Lord Monckton the British peer and economist was one of Isobars go-to guys. Knows nothing about climate. Willie Soon was another—worked as an apologist for the tobacco companies. These guys don’t survive peer review.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 43 of 194

Jump to: