myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Trump's Incompetence
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Trump's Incompetence Reply with quote

This subject deserves a separate thread, and a reference to Michael Lewis' insightful, and very funny book, The Fifth Risk. You can read the first 27 pages here, but I know most of the wing nuts won't bother. https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Fifth_Risk.html?id=WFBkDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

So for the reading challenged, I'll give a recap. Lewis starts by talking, based on an interview with CHris Christie, about how Trump approached the idea of a transition into power. He didn't expect to win, at least until very late in the campaign, so he treated campaign contributions as a slush fund for his future life. When Christie told him he was required to set up, and fund, a transition effort from his campaign funds, Trump screamed at him that he was stealing his money. Here are the final numbers for the campaign. Trump raised $339 million, and spent $322--leaving $17 million that he could have legally pocketed. On his part, he spent $66 million of his own money--but $11 million of that was on his own businesses. So he very much saw this as an investment in developing his brand.

Bannon's comment about Trump's approach to taking power, which came after he had Bannon fire Christie, from page 32 of the book:

Quote:
Trump was going to handle the transition more or less by himself. Not even Steve Bannon thought this was a good idea. "I was fucking nervous as shit," Bannon later told friends,. "I go. 'Holy fuck, this guy [Trump] doesn't know anything. And he doesn't give a shit.'"

Unfortunately, Trump knew few people that knew anything--and didn't listen to them much either.

Lewis spends a fair amount of time on the Department of Energy, and his appointment of Rick Perry--who didn't know what the Department did, but wanted to abolish it. Under Obama, DOE was run by Ernest Moniz, a nuclear physicist. Unknown to most of the wing nuts, the biggest program in the DOE is managing the US' nuclear arsenal. The second biggest is working to secure nuclear materials in other countries so they don't fall into the hands of rogue governments or terrorists. I'll give an example of the first that I think is chilling. There was a Broken Arrow incident that occurred in 1961, declassified in 2013. Two 4-megaton hydrogen bombs (250 times the Hiroshima bomb power) broke off a B-52 over North Carolina. One of them disintegrated on impact, but the other floated down under parachutes and armed itself. Three of the four safety mechanisms were tripped in the process--and without DOE's care for redundancy and safety, North Carolina would be even more radioactive.

Unlike Trump and his supporters, Moniz knew exactly what measures were necessary to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon, and helped negotiate the Iran deal. Termination of that deal will make it easier for Iran to move to a nuclear weapon, but it is too complicated for Trump, or even Perry, to understand the essential reasoning. But I'll give you a better story of why it matters. DOE staff went into Libya in 2009 and removed highly enriched uranium. They went into Syria to try to deal with chemical weapons.

The Trump administtration's response to this? No team was assembled to run DOE, or even learn about it. Instead, they sent over a list of questions prepared by the Koch's, intended to ferret out and sideline anyone that had worked on alternative energy.

Competence matters--even if you want to de-emphasize renewable energy you need to have some skills. I'll leave you with the latest from Tillerson.

Quote:
Rex Tillerson came a little bit closer Thursday to saying what he actually thinks of President Trump.

The fired secretary of state, who while in office reportedly called Trump a “moron” (and declined to deny it), expounded on his thoughts on the president in a rare interview with CBS News’s Bob Schieffer in Houston.

It wasn’t difficult to read between the lines. Tillerson said Trump is “pretty undisciplined, doesn’t like to read” and repeatedly attempted to do illegal things. He didn’t call Trump a “moron,” but he didn’t exactly suggest that Trump was a scholar — or even just a steady leader.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/07/rex-tillerson-trump-undisciplined-doesnt-like-read-tries-do-illegal-things/?utm_term=.0ad3316c2855&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Trump has been similarly incompetent and contemptuous of the law when it comes to immigration--but I'll leave that for later.
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here he claimed he new of the qualified people for everything... you know there are no qualified people in government. and he the businessman who has made deals... well another example of him admitting right wingers are dumber than dumb.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tillerson-says-often-talked-trump-illegal-acts-181922911.html

My secretary of state was 'dumb as a rock,' Trump tweets

Quote:
President Trump took a break from his Twitter tirade against special counsel Robert Mueller Friday to hurl insults at his former secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, describing him as “dumb as a rock” and “lazy as hell.”

“Mike Pompeo is doing a great job, I am very proud of him,” Trump tweeted. “His predecessor, Rex Tillerson, didn’t have the mental capacity needed. He was dumb as a rock and I couldn’t get rid of him fast enough. He was lazy as hell. Now it is a whole new ballgame, great spirit at State!”

The tweet apparently came in response to Tillerson’s remarks Thursday saying that Trump would “often” ask him to do things that were illegal during his 13-month tenure as America’s top diplomat.

“Often, the president would say, ‘Here’s what I want to do and here’s how I want to do it,’” Tillerson recalled at a fundraiser for the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. “And I would have to say to him, ‘Mr. President, I understand what you want to do but you can’t do it that way. It violates the law.’”

Tillerson, formerly the chief executive of ExxonMobil, had no experience in public office and was considered a surprise pick for secretary of state. Trump lavishly praised his business experience and predicted he would be a “star.”
In March, Trump announced his firing and replacement by Mike Pompeo in a tweet, thanking Tillerson for his service.

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby talk
mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you watch? Trump is a spoiled child. I guess you just got his Twitter feed.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
Baby talk

Steve...I watched the entire episode...Drumpf was owned by old Nancy....He will own the shutdown next week, and Nancy accurately told him he does NOT have the votes in the REPUBLICAN house right now.... The Wall is polling poorly, and illegal immigration is at decades low numbers.... "owned"...

“I was trying to be the mom. I can’t explain it to you. It was so wild,” Pelosi said of the Oval Office meet, which was also attended by Vice President Pence and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.). “It goes to show you: you get into a tinkle contest with a skunk, you get tinkle all over you.”
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:
Baby talk

Steve...I watched the entire episode...Drumpf was owned by old Nancy....He will own the shutdown next week, and Nancy accurately told him he does NOT have the votes in the REPUBLICAN house right now.... The Wall is polling poorly, and illegal immigration is at decades low numbers.... "owned"...

“I was trying to be the mom. I can’t explain it to you. It was so wild,” Pelosi said of the Oval Office meet, which was also attended by Vice President Pence and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.). “It goes to show you: you get into a tinkle contest with a skunk, you get tinkle all over you.”

Only through the eyes of a liberal retard.....owned??? are you fucking delusional??

The incoherent cunt was completely frazzled and looked like a coach roach in the day light....Trump was in their faces and made them look like the petty little freaks they are....

Trump will gladly own border security, if you think that's a losing position you are one dumb liberal..

Pelosi....the gift that keeps on giving Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you've gone rogue, you've already lost the argument. I know you don't pay attention but Government shutdowns are losing hands , politically, and Trump chose to own this losing position yesterday, and he did it with the prodding of Nancy, who goading the neophyte into owning it. Now, he can't go that direction, so no Wall. Nancy was playing Chess, Trump checkers.

Matty, have another drink.. The Dems just won 40 house seats, which means Trump needs to deal with Nancy. Considering he couldn't get his cherished Wall with Ryan at the helm, do you think he will get one with Nancy? No shot...
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggs said:
Quote:
illegal immigration is at decades low numbers..

Generally true, but more like "stable for decades".

My concern is reflected in the stats below, and the real unmentioned issue seems to be the economics of the cheap labor force we have here (California is loving it). About half do pay taxes with fake SS numbers, but half don't and likely work for less than minimum wage since the companies hiring them know they are illegals.

Dealing with the illegals that are already here is one issue. The other is stopping the influx. I don't know if the wall will help or if the money is better spent in other areas related to border control. All Trump is doing is sticking to the agenda that got him elected, right or wrong. If economics weren't the major "unmentioned" issue, fining employers hiring illegals "BIG" time would make a big dent in the motivation for those looking for work or wanting to cross the border. I also wonder if policies directed at drying up the jobs market for illegals would put millions on the street without work, then increasing crime.

Quote:
8.1 million illegal immigrants are either working right now or looking for work in the United States. Some are paid in cash under the table, but fake Social Security numbers are often used to secure jobs. This means about 50% of all illegal immigrants are paying income taxes in some form. (The Week)

In 2010, illegal immigrants in the United States contributed over $10 billion in local or state taxes. Another $13 billion was contributed to Social Security. (The Week)

The cost of removing every illegal immigrant in the United States would require an expense of up to $600 billion. There would be another $1 trillion reduction in the US economy because of the lack of labor. (The Week)

The average illegal immigrant household costs taxpayers $14,387 per year, though various assumptions about personal conduct and behaviors must be used to reach this figure. (Heritage Foundation)

As of 2012, 1 in 4 illegal immigrants was living in California. (CNN)

California has the largest number of illegal immigrants in the United States, with an estimated 2.4 million unauthorized immigrants making up about 6.3 percent of the state's total population, according to the Pew Research Center. illegal immigration, California.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Because you've gone rogue, you've already lost the argument. I know you don't pay attention but Government shutdowns are losing hands , politically, and Trump chose to own this losing position yesterday, and he did it with the prodding of Nancy, who goading the neophyte into owning it. Now, he can't go that direction, so no Wall. Nancy was playing Chess, Trump checkers.

Matty, have another drink.. The Dems just won 40 house seats, which means Trump needs to deal with Nancy. Considering he couldn't get his cherished Wall with Ryan at the helm, do you think he will get one with Nancy? No shot...

And Trump has the Senate, and WH, he has lots of leverage and can do many things to piss the left off. Start by releasing classified document, shut down PP, keep the military at the border...Air-head Nancy does not hold all the cards, not even close..

Last edited by mat-ty on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Boggs said:
Quote:
illegal immigration is at decades low numbers..

Generally true, but more like "stable for decades".

My concern is reflected in the stats below, and the real unmentioned issue seems to be the economics of the cheap labor force we have here (California is loving it). About half do pay taxes with fake SS numbers, but half don't and likely work for less than minimum wage since the companies hiring them know they are illegals.

Dealing with the illegals that are already here is one issue. The other is stopping the influx. I don't know if the wall will help or if the money is better spent in other areas related to border control. All Trump is doing is sticking to the agenda that got him elected, right or wrong. If economics weren't the major "unmentioned" issue, fining employers hiring illegals "BIG" time would make a big dent in the motivation for those looking for work or wanting to cross the border. I also wonder if policies directed at drying up the jobs market for illegals would put millions on the street without work, then increasing crime.

Quote:
8.1 million illegal immigrants are either working right now or looking for work in the United States. Some are paid in cash under the table, but fake Social Security numbers are often used to secure jobs. This means about 50% of all illegal immigrants are paying income taxes in some form. (The Week)

In 2010, illegal immigrants in the United States contributed over $10 billion in local or state taxes. Another $13 billion was contributed to Social Security. (The Week)

The cost of removing every illegal immigrant in the United States would require an expense of up to $600 billion. There would be another $1 trillion reduction in the US economy because of the lack of labor. (The Week)

The average illegal immigrant household costs taxpayers $14,387 per year, though various assumptions about personal conduct and behaviors must be used to reach this figure. (Heritage Foundation)

As of 2012, 1 in 4 illegal immigrants was living in California. (CNN)

California has the largest number of illegal immigrants in the United States, with an estimated 2.4 million unauthorized immigrants making up about 6.3 percent of the state's total population, according to the Pew Research Center. illegal immigration, California.

Walls work, just look at what just happened in San Diego. The wall was very effective at keeping the overwhelming majority out. They are now living in filthy tent cities and many have even headed back or decided to stay in Mexico.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: