myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Climate Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 192, 193, 194  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
Malibu did mention he lived near Lady Gaga and Downey Jr. Both have mentioned, in articles I've read, that the fire was very close to their homes.

Malibu, my thoughts are with you. Regardless of our political differences, I, sincerely hope you and your family are OK. Take care.

Here's a link to the fire map, you can zoom in to see the places effected up close. If you know where Gaga's house is, you can see that it's inside the fire limits, ouch. Steve has said he lives across the street, that puts him in the same place. I can only hope that map isn't totally accurate.
www.vcemergency.com
No late word yet if Gaga's house survived or not, only a vid that she posted of her evacuating.

Thanks.

This is really disturbing. I hope he, and his family are OK. It was such a beautiful place. I lived in Ventura a couple summers in college in the early eighties. Used to go to Zuma Beach once in awhile.

I know how it feels to watch a place you love consumed by fire. My favorite bike trail system burned this year. I used to take my dog there after work, literally, dozens and dozens of times and it is gone. It can be heart wrenching even if your house is spared.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he has posted in a few days...Thoughts go out, hopefully just evacuated..

No other country on earth comes close to the natural disasters we have in the US.. Hurricanes, tornados, volcanos, fires, earthquakes, ice storms... Crazy!!!
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Well, maybe:

By Matthew Cappucci and
Quote:
Jason Samenow November 9 at 2:00 PM
Day turned to night in the town of Paradise, Calif., on Thursday as heavy smoke and flames engulfed the town, which is now in ruins. Sparked barely six hours earlier, the inferno has now consumed an estimated 70,000 acres and destroyed about 2,000 structures.

A second blaze, dubbed the Woosley Fire, in Southern California, has surged to over 10,000 acres since its inception late Thursday, forcing a mandatory evacuation of Malibu as it charges toward the coast.

How do these types of wildfires grow so explosively? It began with scant rainfall and abnormally warm temperatures which parched the landscape and created tinderbox conditions. Then came howling winds that fanned the flames, once the fires were sparked. And, in an environment of rising temperatures, climate change is amplifying their potential intensity.

I must be psychic. He couldn't help himself. Thanks for the lecture though.

Lady Gaga's house as marked on map.

mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The response from NP is not at all surprising. Retreat to talking points if not insults. Ignore evidence when necessary. This is an account of the increase in wildfires throughout the world and the links to climate change. That increase is also dramatic in Canada, and with the record number of deaths--in November--should give us some pause. https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-how-global-warming-has-increased-us-wildfires

Quote:
In the midst of record or near-record heatwaves across the northern hemisphere this summer, deadly wildfires have swept through many regions, such as the western US, Europe and Siberia. This has focused a great deal of public attention on the role that climate change plays in wildfires.

Recently, some commentators have tried to dismiss recent increases in the areas burnt by fires in the US, claiming that fires were much worse in the early part of the century. To do this, they are ignoring clear guidance by scientists that the data should not be used to make comparisons with earlier periods.

The US National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC), which maintains the database in question, tells Carbon Brief that people should not “put any stock” in numbers prior to 1960 and that comparing the modern fire area to earlier estimates is “not accurate or appropriate”.

Here, Carbon Brief takes a look at the links between climate change and wildfires, both in the US and across the globe. As with any environmental issue, there are many different contributing factors, but it is clear that in the western US climate change has made – and will continue to make – fires larger and more destructive.

As one scientist tells Carbon Brief: “There is no question whatsoever that climate plays a role in the increase in fires.”

More area burned
Many areas of the western US are currently being ravaged by record-setting wildfires for the second year in a row. The Mendocino Complex fire in California is now the largest on record in the state, with firefighters expect the fires to keep burning for at least the rest of the month.

In California, 14 of the 20 largest wildfires on record have occurred over the past 15 years. At the same time, the western US has experienced some of its warmest temperatures on record, with 10 of the past 15 years among the 15 warmest years on record, based on temperature records from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

According to data from the NIFC, there has been a clear trend in increased area burned by wildfires in the US since the 1980s, when reliable US-wide estimates based on fire situation reports from federal and state agencies became available.

Today, wildfires are burning more than twice the area than in the 1980s and 1990s. These figures include all wildland fires in both forested and non-forested areas. Most of the area burned today is in the western US, where dryer conditions tend to allow for large, quickly-spreading wildfires.

I certainly appreciate the human tragedy in these stories; the loss of houses and livelihoods are tragic even if there were no deaths. The question that matters now is what should we do to change things for the better.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
The response from NP is not at all surprising. Retreat to talking points if not insults. Ignore evidence when necessary. This is an account of the increase in wildfires throughout the world and the links to climate change. That increase is also dramatic in Canada, and with the record number of deaths--in November--should give us some pause. https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-how-global-warming-has-increased-us-wildfires

Quote:
In the midst of record or near-record heatwaves across the northern hemisphere this summer, deadly wildfires have swept through many regions, such as the western US, Europe and Siberia. This has focused a great deal of public attention on the role that climate change plays in wildfires.

Recently, some commentators have tried to dismiss recent increases in the areas burnt by fires in the US, claiming that fires were much worse in the early part of the century. To do this, they are ignoring clear guidance by scientists that the data should not be used to make comparisons with earlier periods.

The US National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC), which maintains the database in question, tells Carbon Brief that people should not “put any stock” in numbers prior to 1960 and that comparing the modern fire area to earlier estimates is “not accurate or appropriate”.

Here, Carbon Brief takes a look at the links between climate change and wildfires, both in the US and across the globe. As with any environmental issue, there are many different contributing factors, but it is clear that in the western US climate change has made – and will continue to make – fires larger and more destructive.

As one scientist tells Carbon Brief: “There is no question whatsoever that climate plays a role in the increase in fires.”

More area burned
Many areas of the western US are currently being ravaged by record-setting wildfires for the second year in a row. The Mendocino Complex fire in California is now the largest on record in the state, with firefighters expect the fires to keep burning for at least the rest of the month.

In California, 14 of the 20 largest wildfires on record have occurred over the past 15 years. At the same time, the western US has experienced some of its warmest temperatures on record, with 10 of the past 15 years among the 15 warmest years on record, based on temperature records from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

According to data from the NIFC, there has been a clear trend in increased area burned by wildfires in the US since the 1980s, when reliable US-wide estimates based on fire situation reports from federal and state agencies became available.

Today, wildfires are burning more than twice the area than in the 1980s and 1990s. These figures include all wildland fires in both forested and non-forested areas. Most of the area burned today is in the western US, where dryer conditions tend to allow for large, quickly-spreading wildfires.

I certainly appreciate the human tragedy in these stories; the loss of houses and livelihoods are tragic even if there were no deaths. The question that matters now is what should we do to change things for the better.

I remember the first time I saw Malibu. I think it was 1979. It was fresh from a big fire. As I recall a couple hundred houses. As a kid from a fire prone area...the Black Hills of SD...I was impressed with how incredibly flammable it all looked.

My boss lived in the hills above Thousand Oaks. The whole area looked like a tenderbox.

So, we have the potential for longer periods of drought and warmer temperatures. On top of that, we continue to build in these areas. It seems that we need to address some fire mitigation schemes at any development...even existing ones. This is only done by regulation which everyone hates. But, what are the options?

I live in a fire prone region. I refuse to have a house in the pines no matter how aesthetically pleasing it might be. Just scares me too much. But, we can design buildings to be less flammable. We can also require brush clearing and fire sprinkler systems that can really help. One subdivision here, in the middle of the big fire we had this spring, survived because the neighborhood had an active mitigation plan.

Still. It grieves me to see such a loss of property and life.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching a show the other night about the Sun, It was very interesting. They mentioned that the Sun is expanding and will eventually fry the earth as it continues to expand and get larger as it flames out and eventually becomes a white dwarf....

Any chance this could be the cause of global warming???
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
mac wrote:

Quote:

More area burned

I remember the first time I saw Malibu. I think it was 1979. It was fresh from a big fire. As I recall a couple hundred houses. As a kid from a fire prone area...the Black Hills of SD...I was impressed with how incredibly flammable it all looked.

My boss lived in the hills above Thousand Oaks. The whole area looked like a tenderbox.

So, we have the potential for longer periods of drought and warmer temperatures. On top of that, we continue to build in these areas. It seems that we need to address some fire mitigation schemes at any development...even existing ones. This is only done by regulation which everyone hates. But, what are the options?

I live in a fire prone region. I refuse to have a house in the pines no matter how aesthetically pleasing it might be. Just scares me too much. But, we can design buildings to be less flammable. We can also require brush clearing and fire sprinkler systems that can really help. One subdivision here, in the middle of the big fire we had this spring, survived because the neighborhood had an active mitigation plan.

Do people build fire bunkers below ground in case they get trapped by fire? Could be a good business opportunity.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
I was watching a show the other night about the Sun, It was very interesting. They mentioned that the Sun is expanding and will eventually fry the earth as it continues to expand and get larger as it flames out and eventually becomes a white dwarf....

Any chance this could be the cause of global warming???

Amazing. In around a billion years. https://www.businessinsider.com/sun-destroy-earth-red-giant-white-dwarf-2016-9

Trump may be smarter than at least one person in the US.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:

Do people build fire bunkers below ground in case they get trapped by fire? Could be a good business opportunity.

Air supply could be a problem, you could filter out the smoke and ash, but the remaining air could have very low oxygen levels. So you'd probably need a compressed air supply for a long term stay (several hours or more).
I was a smoke eater for about 6 years.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
mac wrote:

Quote:

More area burned

I design the structures on a lot of buildings...maybe 30 a year. I have never been asked to do a fire safe room. So, I don't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 16 of 194

Jump to: