myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board advice for 95 L Bump and Jump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Great Lakes fin size Reply with quote

19cm too small 40 knots?really????
dhmark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one of those rare days, a smaller board would rarely get used. Opinion of fin informed by 5 minutes of sailing a trifin for the first time.

wind graph.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.57 KB
 Viewed:  11740 Time(s)

wind graph.jpg

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many 95 liter boards would work in that wind and water conditions. Some times its best to sit it out and wait for a better day. For me, Its not worth the chance of injury. Way to cold and crazy for this old guy..
wdsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Fins Reply with quote

Yeah first time on board tough conditions.was on Goya thruster 92 with 20cm center 10cm sides on Lake Erie similar wind and water conditions that day used 4.5@4.0 was too lazy to change fin and got cold after 2.5 hr. Session
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since some are into psychology here, and consoulment, on your first session.

Let those inclined to do so.

Under normal conditions I can tell if I like the board after 1 short session.
Normal conditions. Not much way to suss if the fins are correct .

The more I read on these stubby new boards the more you made a good decision

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
wdsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Fin size Reply with quote

As you get used to your new thruster you will find you really don't have to change fins.you have 43cm. In fin size with your 13,s@ 19 center.on my thruster got 10,s@ 20 center makes 40cms. really works well from 4.0 to 5.3 and if you have the fanatic you have the ability to move your thrusters around makes a big difference.just move fins around next time you will be surprised with the results.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fin size Reply with quote

wdsurf wrote:
As you get used to your new thruster you will find you really don't have to change fins.you have 43cm. In fin size with your 13,s@ 19 center.on my thruster got 10,s@ 20 center makes 40cms. really works well from 4.0 to 5.3 and if you have the fanatic you have the ability to move your thrusters around makes a big difference.just move fins around next time you will be surprised with the results.

adding up the separate lengths doesnt reflect the big picture. Using your fins as example .
A 40cm fin = 365cm2, the area in square cm.
A 10cm fin = 69 X 2 = 138
A 20cm fin = 181

181 + 138 = 319cm2 VS the single of 365cm2. A difference of 46cm2.

319 would be a 36cm fin

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that with a tri-fin setup, you'll really need to adjust your stance and avoid too much back foot pressure.

Just for the fun of it, you might want to go with a larger middle fin of about 22-23cms in concert with the side fins to see what the difference is. Most of us already have a sizable quiver of fins to play with, especially trying the ones we already know we like. Who knows, maybe just a bigger single fin alone might work best for you.

Regarding the first use of a new board, it's great when you're immediately dialed in and totally comfortable. In 1992, I received my new 8'4" Open Ocean single fin just in time to pack it up for a Maui trip. The day we arrived, it was strong 3.5 conditions. I was blown away how perfectly the board performed right out of the box. You've got to love that kind of bond. I still have that board today in my collection, even though I haven't used it since 1996 after I got my first 8'2" OO Tri-Fin.

Good luck in finding the perfect fin arrangement.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That board must work pretty good because most of the people I know, in 40kts, would already be on their smallest Nukin Gorge board and their 2.8's and most likely headed for shore to think about it for awhile.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer to test a board in erratic conditions, so I can challenge it in its whole range of terrain and wind. That allows me to decide very quickly whether it's a keeper. In great conditions and rigged just right, just about any suitable board and fin setup feels wonnerful. In the real world, however, shortcomings surface.

I've owned 15-20 three- and five-finned boards and professionally tested many more (e.g., dozens in the Gorge and Maui, and Bic sent me a Saxo twin to test in New Mexico one winter). I've put scores of thousands of miles on "thruster boards" since the late 80s in winds averaging from <20 to 50 mph with wider gusts and lulls. I still own and regularly sail at least three. That's my basis for my earlier comment about thrusters making little, if any, difference until the rider is dramatically pushing the board's lateral resistance envelope in chop.

IMO, hull shape matters much more than fin count in performance, from carving to back foot pressure. It was speed and planform, not thrusters, that let me keep planing WFO for a few seconds with only one foot, bearing all my weight, behind the back strap on a 68L board after getting tossed midjibe in heavy chop. I've also tested several multifinned boards from an equal number of shapers head-to-head in full nuke conditions in the Gorge. No two were anywhere near alike, and one stood head, shoulders, and ten-foot stilts above the pack. Once again, shape counted much more than fin count.

OTOH, my Go To board when totally overpowered on my 3.2 happens to be a tri. Why? Because I can load up its tail and even pull up on the front strap to focus all my weight on the tail with confidence that It. Won't. Spin. Out. even in sustained monster gusts. When even that won't put me back in control, it's time to get to shore before I get hurt.

Even after all those miles on thrusters, I'd still have to roll a board over and count the fins to tell whether I was sailing one or three fins, at least until I was consistently overpowered to the point of being in physical danger ... and I LIKE a LOT of power.

If your tri feels magical, it's the shape, not the thrusters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: