myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
T.I. sailors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radross,
I would think you would have swam out and fixed it by now!
Is that why you showed up at Tomales last week? Cool

grassy may 17th 2012 029.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.34 MB
 Viewed:  17920 Time(s)

grassy may 17th 2012 029.JPG

radross

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted- No need to swim. The meter is foot accessible. I even offered iWindsurf to bring an extension ladder and pay their bridge toll. Although losing credibility by the day, the iWindsurf overlords apparently rather blog than maintain the service for which we given them our coin. On a positive note, I go to Tomales to experience Victory at Sea in surreal beauty while touching base with Marin sailors ripping it up on glass boards almost as old as me. Nice to see you.

Ross

IMG_3579 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  416.83 KB
 Viewed:  17849 Time(s)

IMG_3579 (2).jpg

windfind

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNDZRFR wrote:
So as I understand what is happening here is that the Providers won't be supporting 3G anymore but yet have still been supporting 2G all these years?

In the OS world Microsoft always stops supporting the oldest OS first.

One would think the Providers would phase out 2G before 3G, not 3G first.

Am I missing something here?

On a side note it would be interesting to see how the windsurfing regions rank in iwind subscriptions, such as Gorge, Bay Area, Corpus Christy, Hatteras etc. to see what region should have the most pull (other than the corporate clients of course).

We still have a few 2G sensors around the USA. Since the wind data barely uses any bandwidth 2G works fine. So we had a choice: Should we work first on our 500+ 3G sensors some are working intermittently due to ATT actions or send crews to replace 2G sensors that are working fine. We picked the latter path.

Berkeley is one of the old 2G sensors that has failed since that decision was made. So as soon as possible we will get a crew to Berkeley to replace it. But pulling a crew currently in the middle of upgrading Florida sensors to make a special trip to fix Berkeley does not make sense.

We do prioritize sensors which is hard since sailors at every site in the USA think there sensor is the most important in the country. For example one of our main corporate offices is near Santa Cruz and the management crew there are really hardcore wave sailors who would love to put their favorite sensor, the failed Waddell sensor, at the top of the list for repair. But that would not be fair to our customers in other regions. So our management is in the same boat as you guys either missing days or driving for nothing.

Plus remember some of these sensors have over a hundred people who use them regularly while others are lucky to see a dozen people on the water.

All I can say is that we are agonizing over this situation even more than you guys. All we can do is work as hard as possible to fly around the country coverting 500 stations ASAP from 3G to 4G

Mike
Gwarn

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To: Mike -I'm glad to see the Waddell sensor is back up . Maybe you can send the new sensor apprentice from the Santa Cruz office to install a fresh wind monitor on the mast at TI.
windfind

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwarn wrote:
To: Mike -I'm glad to see the Waddell sensor is back up . Maybe you can send the new sensor apprentice from the Santa Cruz office to install a fresh wind monitor on the mast at TI.

Hi Gwarn,

Sorry, the Waddell sensor is not back up.

Here is what you are seeing: Anytime the real overlords throttle back our 3G sensors wind the data is not updated in near real time. However, our fearless sensor keeps on storing the data patiently waiting until the bandwidth is restored. Then it quickly sneaks in an upload to our servers and shortly after the Waddell wind graph is magically updated. That way you know, too late, what you missed.

We are working on tweaking this feature so it works proactively. That way you will be able to see the sensor reading for tomorrow a day in advance. Then we can fire all the forecasters!

When you don't have the means for immediate effective action preserve sanity by falling back on lame humor.

Mike Godsey
windward1

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can work that fix out Mike. With AI now....who knows? Wink
Hate to see all of the forecasters fired....but will that lower our rates?
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wind tree in my neighborhood that reports when it’s windy at the Berkeley Marina. If you all spring for a camera, I’ll mount it on my roof.
Or should I say on my woof.

radross

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike (and the support team members Bill Gidley and Tim Nicholas) - this thread is not about Waddell or Berkeley and 3G excuses to be suffered by the paying subscribers. It is about a broken wind meter on TI that is still transmitting wind direction but not wind speed. Unfortunately, the thread has drifted into the failure of iWindsurf to provide a meaningful and credible response as to when it intends to fix its broken equipment. Confident you understand this particular wind meter is necessary not only for 100's of sailors to decide whether to brave a trip to the island [and incur a bridge toll] but also for 100's of sailors to make safe decisions when determining to rig and launch from an island into a sailing area subject to substantial currents. Please stop making excuses. Just fix or replace the meter. That way the 100's of sailors who launch at TI will be able to get back to the island to live and pay iWindsurf for its services [and enjoy all the pop-up ads] next year.

Respectfully, Ross
radross

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. The crickets are deafening.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailflows management strategy.
As I'm typing this all their web pages are down except this gem.
Nice work

bart.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 MB
 Viewed:  17256 Time(s)

bart.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: