myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Replacement plastic tubing for harness lines
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Peterson told me the way Sailworks gets the line through the tube is by using a steel barb mounted on a thick wire. Push the wire through the tube, stick the barb into the middle of the line to grab the fibers then simply pull the line through. He's tried everything and that's how pretty much every manufacturer of harness lines does it.

I made just the thing by cutting a slice in the end of a thick wire from the hardware store. The wire is a bit thicker than a coat hanger yet remains bendable. Simply file the end to make a point, open up the start of the barb so it can grab the line's fibers, and bend enough to get through the tubing. Bend the end back onto itself and create a handle if necessary.

nw30

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement plastic tubing for harness lines Reply with quote

volley1961 wrote:
As I stated in my initial query, the harness lines r in good shape. I just need the plastic tubing!

Actually you said your harness was in good shape, but we know what you meant. What you didn't say, which is causing some confusion, is whether your harness lines are DIY or factory made. If factory made, you'd also need a heavy duty sewing machine, just to replace the tubing, got one of those?
matthias.luckner

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volley1961,
I had on occasion used reinforced-Pvc tube over my harness line and it worked pretty well. You can buy it by the feet at Lowes or Homedepot.
Matthias

https://www.freelin-wade.com/purflex-plastic-hose.html#1
volley1961

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Replacement plastic tubing for harness lines Reply with quote

OOPS! Good catch nw30. Of course I meant the harness LINES are in good shape! And they r made by Chinook, North u name it. It looks like Sailworks will save the day. They sell replacement tubing by the meter for their Quicktune lines but I think it will work for others as well. Only $6.oo per meter on line. And thanks to Dan Weiss for the tip from Bruce. As far as a heavy duty sewing machine, it is not really necessary. I've replaced tubing before with hardware store tubing but it didn't last. That's why I am asking the experts to find out what the manufacturers use. The one I contacted refused to tell me - like it was a military secret! Thank God for the Canadians!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: