myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
DOGS IN MAUII????????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forwardloop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 11:11 am    Post subject: DOGS IN MAUII???????? Reply with quote

We got the sweetest puppy in Tarifa about a year ago, and are considering another boondoggle to Mauii. Quarantine seems a bit extreme -- does anybody out there have any experience bypassing the quarantine to bring a dog, cat, goat, mother-in-law to Mauii?

thanks,
-jimbo
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 7:00 pm    Post subject: RE: DOGS IN MAUII???????? Reply with quote

Yeah, thats the spirit ... Carry rabies to the islands for personal convenience. I hope both of you are joking.

Mike \m/
laudermouth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 2:33 am    Post subject: RE: DOGS IN MAUII???????? Reply with quote

Rabies wats dat, never heard of that in the U.S. in my life time????
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 11:17 pm    Post subject: RE: DOGS IN MAUII???????? Reply with quote

Vaccines prevent a dog from CATCHING rabies (after many days and a booster), not trasmitting it.

Its the attitude of self-centered scofflaws like this that contribute to the spread of countless biological hazards around the globe, from germs to kudzu to killer bees. Relax, hell; people with this level of unawareness that they are NOT the only people on the planet way too often muck it up for the rest of us.

Last I heard not one case of rabies has ever shown up in Hawaiis quarantine pens. But all it takes is one, as with the brown tree snake (OK, it takes two snakes, or one pregnant female) responsible for the elimination of many entire bird species on the Islands in just the past few years.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 11:23 pm    Post subject: RE: DOGS IN MAUII???????? Reply with quote

Wait til you guys have spent time YOURSELVES in quarantine because you got nipped by a chipmunk ... or watch a friend -- a HUMAN friend -- die an awful death from it. It was epidemic in some states -- U.S. states -- Ive lived in.

And the issue isnt even rabies. Its people who think their convenience is more important than the welfare of the rest of us.

Mike \m/
hopeless

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 12:21 pm    Post subject: RE: DOGS IN MAUII???????? Reply with quote

Ummm...I couldnt help but butt in here...I happen to do a LOT of work with bats (yeah, the winged mammal that is often targeted and blamed as a HUGE rabies problem...less than one in two hundred bats are infected and they die shortly after contracting the disease). I can tell you as a FACT that the so-called rabies epidemics of which you refer to are actually hype, frenzy, and media garbage...and, yes, even our own CDC and health departments feed into this crap. The possibility of a vaccinated dog transmitting rabies to anything, especially after a five+ hour flight to Hawaii is the same likelihood that you yourself will transmit rabies to another mammal.

If you dont believe me, go read some of Danny Brass papers or books on the subject. I believe he is the leading expert on the subject at this time.

On another note, I just want to state that I dont support sneaking things around government agencies...especially in light of yesterdays events...it is selfish and dangerous. Even in the most seemingly harmless of circumstances it will, at best, lead to the inconveniencing of many people when the plane has to be detained and searched because some moron tried to sneak some puppy on board.

And if you want something to get all hyped about, Mike, consider how many folks die from bee-stings or eating products with peanut butter that werent properly labled for those with severe allergies...not only in Hawaii, but in the rest of the world!
davep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:19 pm    Post subject: RE: DOGS IN MAUII???????? Reply with quote

jimbo- keep your sweet little puppy at home the world doesnt revolve around you and your convenince.......
forwardloop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 3:17 pm    Post subject: allow me to retort Reply with quote

JESUS CHRIST!

Who is this Mike guy?!?!?! Ive worked in the biology field for over 4 years and have NO intention of SNEAKING my dog into the island. Introduced species cause astronomical environmental costs.

If you read the question, it asks if there is a way around the 120-day quarantine.

And I have since found out that YES, THERE IS A SANCTIONED way to bypass the 120 day quarentine and only put the dog in a 30-day quarentine.

I thought this was a discussion forum, not a rant page. This dude needs a stiff drink and an enema.

-jimbo
davep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:51 am    Post subject: RE: allow me to retort Reply with quote

sorry but your original question sounded like you were interested in bypassing a local regulation. respect as guests when traveling is very important to windsurfers and everyone these days- it shows class. happy loopin........
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:43 pm    Post subject: RE: allow me to retort Reply with quote

You can interpret or clarify the question any way you wish. I had nothing to go by but the words on my screen. Obviously, several of us also had that handicap. Glad to hear you share our concerns.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: