myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Margarita - Vela or Mistral?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:06 pm    Post subject: Margarita - Vela or Mistral? Reply with quote

Which club resort is better? Which has better instruction?

Both seem like they are right next to one another on that beach...

Vela seems a bit cheaper in price but has less accommodation options.

-Bill
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 1:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita - Vela or Mistral? Reply with quote

I did Vela and everything was excellent.

I dont know about the instruction, but it probably is good.
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 1:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita - Vela or Mistral? Reply with quote

check out velas page on margarita. They describe the lesson plan as well:

http://www.velawindsurf.com/margarita/index.html
schpa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 6:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita - Vela or Mistral? Reply with quote

Hello I did the Vela thing there and it was great! Tom and Kathy Mastbaum really have a fantastic group there that love what they do, pluse the equpment is exelent.
hurwitba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita - Vela or Mistral? Reply with quote

Vela is a much better centre in terms of excursions,equipment and tuition.cathy and tom have been running the centre for 8 years and for the last 5 years i have been visiting a lot of the staff has remained the same.they offer informal daily lectures/clinics as well as more intensive one on one land or water lessons.the equipment ranges from top of the line jp wave boards the full f2 range and pryde sails with compatible masts and booms.there is nothing worse than taking a good sail that is rigged on an incompatible mast or boom.it is one of the few spots where i was able to find a dialed in set of harness lines whenever i sailed.

the mistral centre has reasonable equipment and is staffed by young europeans who are great sailors but are lacking in patience and english language skills.
billa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 5:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita - Vela or Mistral? Reply with quote

Thanks alot, this is good info...finally, am i a fool to go end of Dec / early Jan?
ian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita - Vela or Mistral? Reply with quote

Aloha-

I was there at the end of January 2001. Great time. wind range 5.0 to 7.0 (200lbs) Also did Los Roques for a day. Well worth it!

Tom, Kathy and the rest of the Vela crew are awesome.

Ian
lasbrisas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita - Vela or Mistral? Reply with quote

Vela is great, and their instructors are top notch. Mistral also does a good job, but they are geared toward the European market.

If you ask, Vela will let you rent gear only and then you can stay anywhere you want. I have a great townhouse Ill rent you if youre interested.(lasbrisas@home.com)
lasbrisas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 8:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita - Vela or Mistral? Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that Vela and Mistral are not your only options, especially if you are looking to save a few bucks. There are 8 clubs in Margarita, all lined up next to each other. Others you may want to check out are Club Margarita and Planet Windsurf. Club Margarita caters to the Brits, so they do an excessive amount of partying. (Just kidding)They include lessons with their rentals. Planet Windsurf
clientele include both Europeans and Americans.

Then there is Margarita Extreme, Happy Surf (Germans), Nathalie Simon (French), Sharks (Canadians)...I think that is all of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: