myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Lopez report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Lake Lopez report Reply with quote

Got to sail the pond last week. It was a late blow but pretty solid 6.5
The lake is at 50.6%. Pretty much no rain this year and nothing in the forecast. In past years this lake level would support a full season or most of it anyway. Because of the drought and several years of a dry lake bottom in the windsurfing area, lots of 6 foot plus trees grew in that area. There a lot of stick ups one foot or more down wind. Right now it is not an issue if you have skills to stay up wind. As the water drops, the sail-able area will decrease with it. Just my opinion but I think the early season is ok. Later in the year might be iffy. Pray for a March miracle.. Tony
superkraut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much snow in our watershed, either: Isabella is at about 30% right now, with a snow pack only about 20% of what it ought to be this date. In addition, the bulldozers are poised to come some time this summer, to start "repairing" our dams.
So I sail, LOTS! and, while it is a bit chilly, the sailing is excellent - big kit, small kit, its all good with me! Lake level is about 10ft above the dreaded flume, and no trees lurk near our sailing venues. Xavier came last weekend and racked up an impressive 36.1kn - see below

IMG_1430.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  592.7 KB
 Viewed:  19681 Time(s)

IMG_1430.JPG

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lopez up one 10th of 1% after the BIG storm yesterday.... if you do come up this spring to enjoy the pond while it lasts, please bring a gallon of water to dump into the lake...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lake is up 2 feet after the last storm. This will help to extend the windsurfing season. I was up there right after the rain and all the major creeks were running. More rain would help...Come up early to enjoy the pond
Sansa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm knocking around central California in an RV--currently in Salinas, and generally headed south.

I sailed Lopez once before, in September 2004. How sailable is it this time of year? Is there likely to be decent wind? What makes it blow? Thermals? Fronts? Perhaps most importantly, how cold is the water?

I actually hadn't been thinking about sailing, but this thread piqued my interest. I could also divert over to San Luis/O'Neill Forebay; I sailed there in 2004, too--kind of. The weeds were just awful.

And Isabella could be an option, but I've never been there and don't know anything about it.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good time of year. late spring till mid fall. That said you can catch a day or two this time of year. Might blow some near the end of the week. Wed/ Friday. If you want real wind and waves, head to Arroyo....
Sansa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No waves for me. I usually sail only at Bird Island in Texas, so I'm spoiled by very friendly conditions.

I didn't figure it was a good time of year for windsurfing here, but it sure has been windy lately so I got to wondering.
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Sansa: Eva here at Isabella. I post all sorts of info about Isabella to a Facebook group "Lake Isabella Windsurfing". We have a decent amount of water now, the Dreaded Fishing Derby is winding up, it looks like the weather is finally getting a little friendlier, and we usually have plenty of wind in spring - though the steady thermals don't usually blow until mid-May
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: