myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Prodigy Comp 8.5 Rig - Worst Camber Inducers Ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
It's really easy.
I second you getting a smaller sail to learn on..

hope you are NOT talkin' to james douglass Embarassed
otherwise = too funny Smile

issue is rigging a cambered sail and NOT learning to windsurf ....
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nat Siddall's advice is exactly perfect, to the letter. Nat probably knows more about the Mistral Prodigy than anyone. While as a past Executive Director of US Windsurfing, US Sailing bestowed on Nat its One Design Creativity Award for he work developing the class in the US and helping others source, tune and sail the Prodigy.

From: http://www.ussailing.org/about-us/awards/one-design-awards/past-winners/nat-siddall/

>>It is a great honor to present Nathaniel Siddall with the One-Design Creativity Award recognizing outstanding individual creativity and contributions in this year’s most innovative one-design event of national or international importance.

Nat has accomplished two incredible feats. First, he helped to created a new One-Design Class of windsurfers called Prodigy. And then, he incorporated them into the new US Windsurfing National Tour. The Prodigy was always available for charter.

Nat headed up the 2002 US Windsurfing Tour — contacting sponsors, calling event organizers, setting dates, and advertising events in windsurfing magazines. Nat’s impressive skills are largely responsible for how smoothly the Tour ran.

As a result of the 2002 success, the 2003 National Windsurfing Tour will be even larger.<<

ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a board to complement, possibly improve on and eventually replace my current Bic WindSup 11.6 in light winds. (12 knts range).

The Bic already represents a huge improvement in light winds over many shortboards I had before, including the last one, a Bic Core 293. At least the Windsup moves in the lightest breeze and cruises around nicely, whereas the Core in the same winds was hopelessly stuck on the water and schlogging..

Ideally, I am loking for a more lively and responsive board, with a good light wind performance ( possibly even better than the Windsup), and I like stable boards..
Above all, it must be better than the CORE 293 IN LIGHT WINDS because I don’t want to exchange a $ 1 bill for..4 quarters. .

I am being offered a good deal on a Mistral Prodigy. It is even wider than the Windsup ( 87 cm), hence very stable, which is what I want,

How does the Prodigy score in light winds and early planing as compared to the other two boards I mentioned ? BTW, I weigh 85 kg, I sail on a lake, mostly flat water, with a 6.2 or an 8,0 HSM sail.
I was even considering moving to a 9 or a 10 m2, but I am told it wouldn’t make much a difference on a Windsup and therefore it is not worth the cost of buying another mast ( 490) and possibly a larger boom ( mine gets up to 230).

Any comments?

Thanks and Happy New Year

Ittiandro
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't address the Prodigy part of your thread topic, but you seem to have good answers to that part and I do have two candidates for the worst inducer ever.

1. An entire test team could not install the inducers on one sail model even while on the phone with the sail designer.

2. On another brand, the inducers kept falling out and off of the sail when sailing (I had to chase one inducer 15-20 feet down in the Columbia to retrieve it ... wearing a flotation vest and wetsuit.)

We eliminated both sails from that year's tests. No point in naming them because it was long ago and they are not available any more.

Fortunately, solid competition over the years has all but eliminated WSing gear that poorly designed. Back in the '90s, some of the junk and failures were hilarious ... unless, of course, you had bought it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: