myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Prescription glasses required

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkvalstad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 2:13 pm    Post subject: Prescription glasses required Reply with quote

Any suggestions for a beginner needing prescription glasses? Prescription sunglasses, goggles, etc. Brand names, experiences, etc. would be most helpful.
THUKILL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Prescription glasses required Reply with quote

Ive found the goggles just dont work right. In order to keep the water out, they must shape to your face/head. This means by design they must have a ) shape,if you know what I mean. Because of their shape, they distort your vision severely. If you dont have an old pair of prescription glasses you dont mind getting salty or losing, wait for one of those sales at the eyeglass places and get the cheapest, dorkiest(sic?) pair they have. You may not look cool, but at least you can find your way back to where you launched from. Also, get some of the floating Croakies in a bright color. When you do a face plant and rip the glasses off your head, you will be able to find them floating somewhere in the vacinity of the wreck-assuming you are not completely blind without your glasses.
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 11:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Prescription glasses required Reply with quote

I used REC SPECs for years. They take prescription lenses and hve enough gap to let the wind keep the fogging down. I have had lenses popped out and lost by waves as well as the goggles ripped off by waves and lost as they sink. It used to be one hand for the goggles and one fot the mast tip when I lost it in good size surf.
Now I have had LASIK and see double vision, but overall it is better than my eyesite was. I just get to see twice what everyone else sees.
gcampodonico

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:30 am    Post subject: RE: Prescription glasses required Reply with quote

I use diposable contact lenses. I wear glasses normaly, but Ive found contacts to be the most hassle free solution for sailing. Ive had a few problems with them drying out in the wind, but for the most part theyve worked out really well.
seeworldoptical

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 6:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Prescription glasses required Reply with quote

I am windsurfig optician and make RX glasses for water sports.Ph.818-8885450
stong@demandtec

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Prescription glasses required Reply with quote

I use disposable contacts as well and its one less thing to worry about. I also carry glasses in case I lose a contact so I can get back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: