myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jibing 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemcd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 10:46 pm    Post subject: Jibing 101 Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing for 5 years now, but if I am lucky I get out on the water 5 times a year (work a lot, long drive to the beach, cant afford lessons, etc.). I stick with it as the occasional plane I get on has me addicted! Even though I have been at it for this long, I am still very much a beginner.

So... trying to work on my techniques the other day, I had a difficult time figuring out how to jibe. I just need the basics of what to do. All the instruction I find on the web are on how to do a planing jibe and carve it up... well, what about us beginners who arent on a plane and just need to know the basic steps?

What I am doing: Not planing (I know, it is probably easier in heavier winds, but I am not confident enough in my abilities to try learning in strong winds, besides I have too much fun just tacking back and forth and planing) and not in the foot straps (havent got to that either), I use the rig to turn down wind and apply weight to the back of the board on the outside to help the board turn down wind. I get turned entirely down wind on a run with the sail raked way forward... and then.. I stall. I cant get the board to turn past directly down wind and usually a wave or something hits me and this whole process is taking so long that I am unstable and when I try to swing the sail around I have to drop the sail or fall off.

So... How do I get past directly down wind? Is there a way to accelerate my turns to maintain speed (foot position)? When during the process should I change foot position for the opposite tack? Should I just concentrate on trying to plane and get into the straps before worrying about jibing?

My rig- Bic Veloce with centerboard (may have something to do with it), and 6.4 sail. Mostly sail on lakes.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

-Matt
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 1:01 am    Post subject: RE: Jibing 101 Reply with quote

Sounds like you should continue to learn the long board (non-planing jibe) first. Also similar to a pivot jibe.

The basic idea is simple, when ready to turn, tilt the rig to windward, and step far back on the board. Keep the rig tilted windward, as the board turns (or pivots), and you aid the turn by pressuring the windward rail, and angling your hips to leeward.

As the board turns past downwind, and is on a broad reach, sail clew first for a moment, and then let the rig rotate around to the new tack, and tilt the rig back to complete the turn to a reach (across the wind).

Check out the post from:
jibe theorists wanted 05/07/01

Also consider a jibing video, like Jibing with Alan Cadiz on Maui
rickp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Jibing 101 Reply with quote

Agree with your advice, but of course it sounds simpler than it is. Perhaps Matt should first learn to sail straight downwind with control in moderate wind. Pretend youre trying to jibe, but accept the downwind stall. Put the sail at 90 degrees to the board and tilt the sail to the right / left to turn the opposite way. Once you can do this a slow jibe should be easer. Keeping the centerboad down helps with stability, of course. Good luck, rick p
mikemcd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 9:15 am    Post subject: RE: Jibing 101 Reply with quote

Spyder, Rick, thanks for the advice. I read the earlier thread on longboard jibing and tried it out the other day in light winds (10 knots..but consistent). I found that I am over-complicating the action and if I just step back on the board with both feet instead of just one, the board turns faster and easier. I did about 2 hours of figure 8s and feel much more confident. Of course, practice makes perfect and I sure have a lot of practice to do.... but at least I know what to work on.

Thanks,
Matt
rickp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 5:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Jibing 101 Reply with quote

Good to hear. It helped me to swear off tacking for about a year. You get REALLY good at tight pivot jibes when thats your only option to change tacks. Im not kidding. Ruined me forever - I still pivot jibe much better than I tack. rick p
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 2:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Jibing 101 Reply with quote

Go to a used or closeout bookstore (or the bookstore section of this site) and buy any of the dozen+ books on how to windsurf. They will help you immensely for a few bucks.

Mike \m/
Daveryan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 2:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Jibing 101 Reply with quote

Your jibe question is a good one. I live here in the Gorge and it still took me a long time to get good at jibes. What helped me the most is useing a skate sailor and doing a couple hundred of them in the parking lot. Also it is important not to learn on a high wind nervous board. find a stable board that you can slog on. Then simply focus on making the turn. dont worry about the sail flip until you can get a decent carve. simply sail clew first as you come around. You will want this clew first skill anyway for future tricks. once you are sure you can get the board around and sail in the other direction then start learning the sail flip. The most common mistake I made and have observed in others is when the sail is flipped the turn stops then the sailor is faced with a lot of power in a down wind sail and a non planing board which usually pulls them off the board. Once you get your carve down good feel free to write me and I will share some sail flipping tricks with you.
Good luck and it really is time on the water!!!
ge16

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: RE: Jibing 101 Reply with quote

don worry buddy, i am planing in footstraps, can handle hi winds in a shorboard and water start 50%. I dont know how to plane jibe yet, i use my go board 165 to train basic jibe.. but i am only 125lbs. No need to hurry bout nailing the move unless you are into wavesailing and race competition. just take your time and have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: