myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Footstrap Positions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex you REALLY need to think about heading to Squamish or adjusting to big gear. 10-30 minutes of planing in a day just isn't going to cut it when you restrict yourself to the warm months.
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Alex you REALLY need to think about heading to Squamish or adjusting to big gear. 10-30 minutes of planing in a day just isn't going to cut it when you restrict yourself to the warm months.

Which iW member is Alex?
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:

Which iW member is Alex?

Hey Grant. Not sure if you were referring to me or not. I'm not Alex. Anyoo, I did three sessions up at Squamish last summer starting in late July. I tried to alternate weekends between Locarno (English Bay) and Squamish. Squamish is a very different sailing venue than English Bay even when English Bay summer winds pick up. Two of the Squamish sessions were on the Kode 94 (learning the board and practicing waterstarts in the cove). One session on the Carve 121. Generally, Squamish is not a venue I can envision using my Futura 114 very often. MAYBE in the early/mid morning before the regular thermals kick-in. However, when the thermals kick in they usually do so fairly quickly and strongly. I don't think I'd want to be too far out on my Futura 114/7.5 when those thermals do kick in.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I keep thinking you're name is Alex, I'm crap with names.
Better to learn to sail op'd than be stuck slogging 75% of the time. Besides from the wind graph I saw Squamish was mostly 20-25 kts which is pretty manageable with a 6.5 easy enough.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Better to learn to sail op'd than be stuck slogging 75% of the time. Besides from the wind graph I saw Squamish was mostly 20-25 kts which is pretty manageable with a 6.5 easy enough.

20-25 knots on a 6.5?! Shocked

For a little guy like me 20-25 knots is more like 4.5-3.5 kind of territory. You are braver than I. Smile
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:

20-25 knots on a 6.5?! Shocked

For a little guy like me 20-25 knots is more like 4.5-3.5 kind of territory. You are braver than I. Smile

Haha I've held down a 6.5 in 35 gusts, 8.5 is pretty chill on a formula board in 20-25. All a matter of perspective and time in higher wind.

Squamish has really steady winds, down here we only get strong wind during fronts where it can be 15g35. You just learn to deal with it. Learning to waterstart with one or both feet in is a good skill.
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to give the outboard straps a go. I'll probably try the middle position of the outboard to start. I can always move them forward or back from there. I think I am ready to push myself a bit. It is interesting the Futura only has two positions inboard but three outboard. To me this implies that outboard is really where the designers intended the straps to be.

Check out this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp0__GOrdE4

All these sailors are on full-out formula boards. These people are not pros yet the majority are going full tilt and carve gybing in outboard straps like no tomorrow.

On the one hand you don't want to over extend beyond your abilities however, on the other hand you NEED to comfortably push yourself to expand your abilities. I think you eventually get comfortable with WHATEVER you learn on. So, I may as well learn outboard from the start. I suspect the majority of the Japanese sailors in this video all learned on outboard straps and they are ROCKING these formula boards like crazy. The Futura is likely not even as wide as these so it should be a little easier; closer in feel to my Carve than what these big formula boards would feel like to carve gybe.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
It is interesting the Futura only has two positions inboard but three outboard. To me this implies that outboard is really where the designers intended the straps to be.

The straps are intended to be in all of the positions that are provided. This allows the board to be useful to the most people across the broadest range of skill levels. It allows you to buy the board and enjoy it by pushing yourself to your limits, before you're skilled enough to push it to the board's limits. As you improve, you don't need to buy a new board. That's good design.

mamero wrote:
On the one hand you don't want to over extend beyond your abilities however, on the other hand you NEED to comfortably push yourself to expand your abilities.

I think everyone wants to extend beyond their abilities. What are your priorities in terms of learning? If it's jibing, you're going to want to emphasize control of the board...straps inside. If it's straight line speed, then outside is the way to go.

mamero wrote:
I suspect the majority of the Japanese sailors in this video all learned on outboard straps

Why do you suspect that? I doubt they did, purely because the fastest way to learn is progressively, developing skills on comparatively less challenging gear and conditions, and the Japanese are methodical. People don't learn to ski on expert skis. They don't learn to play golf with expert clubs. The beauty of your board is that it can be set up to accommodate your skill level.

Of course you should do what makes you happy. But know that there is a rut out there...a well worn path to hitting a windsurfing plateau and getting stuck. It's sailing on gear that's over one's head, learning how to sail it in a straight line fast, and that's it. No tacks, no planing jibes. Intermediate windsurfers on expert gear on which they can't do anything but sail straight is a windsurfing cliche. Ask any instructor. I did it myself in my early windsurfing years...it definitely held me back, but I didn't realize that until I adjusted.

In any event, you bought a new board, which is always exciting. Enjoy it any way you please!

swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All these sailors are on full-out formula boards. These people are not pros yet the majority are going full tilt and carve gybing in outboard straps like no tomorrow."

Actually, the boards aren't formula boards. They're just wider slalom boards. Also, just like you said, these folks can carve jibes very well. Don't be fooled into thinking that outboard straps positions can't jibe worth a damn, because that would be a mistake.

Another thing to remember is that different folks have a wide range of foot sizes. Folks with bigger feet need a more inboard position of the outboard straps, whereas folks with small feet do much better in the most outboard position. What it really comes down to is the position of your heel relative to the rail of the board. You don't want be sailing around with your heels catching in the water stream.

Lastly, when it comes down to jibing wider boards, after taking you your rear foot out of the strap, you want to place it well over centerline in a position close to the inside rail. If you watch some video of PWA slalom racers, you can get a pretty good idea what I'm talking about. Believe me, it works very well, and you don't have to be an expert to pull off some great jibes. It's all about working on your set-up and technique. Practice always pays off.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, this is hilarious... 6 pages about - where should a novice windsurfer mount their footstraps, LOL
And not 1 post from me or jingerbritsen or a few other veterans. I'm sure glad I didn't spend time on this till now!
Mamero - you seem like a nice, smart, thoughtful guy... I know you appreciate ALL the time, these other experienced windsurfers spent, to think about helpful answers for you, and all the time typing. But I will thank them as well, cause they're amazing Smile
You have received carefully written advice worth 1000's of $ - by experts with many decades worth of windsurf experience... incredible.

Next - after reading all 6 pages of posts, I spent AN ADDITIONAL 13 min watching the vid you just posted, cause you said this -
< All these sailors are on full-out formula boards. These people are not pros yet the majority are going full tilt and carve gybing in outboard straps like no tomorrow. >
But you're wrong, there are no carving jibes... in fact this vid isn't about jibing at all. This vid is all just speed reaches. Which is fast and fun... but any intermediate can do it. The vid shows only a couple expert racers (my judgement based on their gear, their stance, their speed, and their sail race numbers) start to carve into a jibe. But then the vid quickly cuts to the next speed reach. There is no video of anyone doing a full jibe (or even half a jibe) carving or otherwise. This is no big deal, there are 1000's of vids that show excellent carving jibes on every kind of shortboard, from wave to FW. But anyway, this is not one of them.

Your point is about strap placement... and you have already received enough advice about that to coach the Olympics!
I'll only add to your confusion by saying, "You're a lighter weight (although you never said here, what you weigh) novice windsurfer. You say that you spend very little time actually going fast enough to plane. And you sound like a cautious person. I agree with the group that says some lessons would be good for you. There is a reasonable progression that is very helpful to people who are cautious (or not 25 year old, naturally athletic, adrenaline junkies). Even if you're lighter weight and have smaller feet... I would still suggest putting the straps 1 row in, from the outboard inserts. And a couple spots forward, from the middle. And that's cause you're in lighter wind, and using smaller sails, and you're not going very fast, most the time.

Regarding learning to do a full carving jibe... it's going to be a long time before you're going fast enough for that. Please be patient. Learning to go that fast is going to take a while. Very few people here, learned that in a year or two. I mean, some did... but it's not realisic for you to listen to them... because most of us took many years to learn a full carving jibe on a shortboard... and it'll be the same for you Smile
Keep up the stoke!!
Greg -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: