myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Davis Point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goltz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 11:11 am    Post subject: Davis Point Reply with quote

I sailed Davis Point (SF Bay) yeseterday for the first time. The wind seemed to be cranking, the sensor average was 29 knots (which seemed a little higher than it really was) and the current at Sherman was flooding at 1 knot. When I got on the water the wind seemed much too light despite feeling very strong on land and white caps everywhere. I presume the flood current was stronger than at Sherman, so my sail size was way too small.

Seems like the place has potential to be really fun, does anyone know the trick to predicting the current? Does the sensor read high?

Dave
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 8:45 am    Post subject: Davis Point wind and tide Reply with quote

The sensor reads high since it is on the long pier you can see way to the north. Subtract maybe 5-8 knots. The current at Davis Pt. is hard to predict since the water is funneling into the straits. In my experience fishing in the area the current is much stronger near shore than in the outer waters. The wind can be tricky here. The best days are when Larkspur is ripping. That tells you that there will be strong wind in the outer waters. If Pt. Isabel is stronger than Larkspur then you will find it is windy near shore but. lighter in the outer waters. You can see this effect pretty well from the San Rafael Richmond bridge. I would only sail Davis Pt. on an ebb.

Mike Godsey
I sailed Davis Point (SF Bay) yeseterday for the first time. The wind seemed to be cranking, the sensor average was 29 knots (which seemed a little higher than it really was) and the current at Sherman was flooding at 1 knot. When I got on the water the wind seemed much too light despite feeling very strong on land and white caps everywhere. I presume the flood current was stronger than at Sherman, so my sail size was way too small.

Seems like the place has potential to be really fun, does anyone know the trick to predicting the current? Does the sensor read high?

Dave
goltz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 11:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Davis Point wind and tide Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!

Dave
abcdefg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 3:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Davis Point Reply with quote

Ah alas, somebody has sailed at the mystical Davis Pt. Everytime I check the wind graph the place seems to be cranking- usually higher than Sherman. Last time I checked the Local Info for it there were no driving directions. Also, area maps dont reveal this mythical place. Is this place for real or just a fantasy? Any help in locating it would be much appreciated!! Dave has already provided a hint that it is located in S.F. Bay.

Mark W.
pschubsail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 6:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Davis Point Reply with quote

I too was hoping someone would provide info. on where Pt. Davis is. I can determine its a bit west of Sherman Island but specifics would be appreciated.
Peter
goltz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 8:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Davis Point Reply with quote

Go north on 80 away from San Francisco (toward Rio Vista), go north past the exit for highway 4 and exit at the first exit for the town of Rodeo. Go left at the bottum of the off ramp, under the freeway and into the lovely (!) town of Rodeo. Go through town, the road (San Pablo ave, I think) sweeps to the right, and just as you leave the main town turn left up into a little marina. If you start winding into the hills you have gone too far. I dont know if the street is labled, but it goes up hill suddenly as you turn onto it and crosses the railroad tracks paralleling San Pablo ave (the main drag in Rodeo). After only about 100 feet you cross into a very delapidated marina. At the edge of the small parking lot is a park entrance lone tree cove park. Walk about 100 yards into the park and rig next to the lone oak tree at the foot of a nice, sandy cove. The wind doesnt fill in all the way to the beach, so you can check the conditions by walking up onto the bluff south of the cove.

The day I was there it was extremely windy but about 5 knots less than the sensor. The swells were very large and smooth, but the tide was flooding so my 4-0 and small board were under powerd. I think you need to hit it when it is ebbing. Looks potentially epic!

I sailed it by myself, and I think it is not a good idea; kind of sketchy. I want to go back but with a few other sailors and during an ebb. If anyone is interested in meeting up there my e-mail is goltzd@yahoo.com

Dave
abcdefg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:43 am    Post subject: RE: Davis Point Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the great driving directions to Davis Pt. A buddy and I drove
out there (we were passing through) a couple of weekends ago to check out
the launch on a low-wind day. It was a Sunday and there were a few people
fishing at the obvious launch spot. I suppose if its very windy that they
would vacate the premises. Another thing I thought about is theft. I have
a spare board that I keep on top of my vehicle (like a lot of windsurfers, I
have a ton of stuff I tote around) and the parking lot looks like it has all
the ingredients for theft (seclusion, no fee area, out of view from the
beach, etc......).

I live in Sacto. so my primary spot is Sherman Island. Its an hour drive
for me to either spot so Ill probably stick to Sherman.... though I want to
eventually try Davis Pt. because the wind seems stronger there.

Overall, my initial impression of Davis Pt. is that it would make a great
local spot, the wind is definitely great there. If you lived in the area it
would be a great place to go for a quick 15-20 minute drive so you wouldnt
have all your gear stacked on your car. Youd take just what you would be
sailing on and it would be perfect. I suppose if more people started
sailing there, it would become a safer spot......

Again, thanks....... Mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: