myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looping before the big 4.0 - crap only 6 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvCoJjEmhJg
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as the wind has been gone and that we are now waiting for Maria I can't really work on anything except... in the pool! (yeah I know, rough life... anyway Very Happy !)

Indeed, it's quite interesting since I believe each move where there's a rotation such as 360, front flip, back flip, etc, it's difficult to know where we are through the rotation as things spin around us pretty rapidly. So I find the mental work has some similarities. We need to understand that at some point we won't know what's going on, like a leap of faith once into the move. I was actually surprised to feel how it could help with learning front loop windsurfing.

That said, the front flip is quite a bit easier as elements are nice and still! There's a light mental work and a technique to figure out. I haven't tried backflips or side flips but I'm going to. It's cool to notice that the first 4-5 tries feel pretty good and then we get tired and don't improve that much. Again similar to working on front loops. The difference is that on the water it's much harder to get good tries (even more so on some spots) since the conditions and kit vary so much.

Some interesting videos...

manuel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, the wind is back and lots of it, 20-30 knots, quite overpowered. Had about 20 attempts between yesterday and the day before.
I'm not staying tucked in all the way, need to work on that. Afraid of spinning too fast but it really shouldn't be a concern!
Anyway, taking so loooooooong!

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a trampoline. Footstrap a plank onto your feet for more realism (and some harsh feedback in case of errors). I suggest a safety net.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now at the trying to waterstart away stage, exciting Very Happy !

EDIT: See below.

Watch out... top comparison !!!!!

Same day, same ramp (exactly same spot), same timing on the ramp, same conditions, same everything, hardly do better to compare the forwards!

Tiki, front loop expert (landed in 1 day, or so he says):
- Sail sheeted out
- Straight arms
- Hands above head level

Manu, loop beginner aspiring to land them (near 600 attempts):
- Sail sheeted in
- Bent arms
- Hands at shoulder level

Voilą, here I have all the day I need to understand how to turn them faster...
Yesterday in 20 tentatives, I tried waterstarting 5 times in the straps, no luck, just nearly drowned Wink Quite tired from the previous sessions, my brain was a little foggy.

Do you see other things in the photos?

manuel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One landing yesterday where I had to leave the straps but waterstarted away without letting go of the boom. A few decent ones but not enough wind / tuck to stay in the straps swimming to waterstart.

So I'm getting there but still missing a few things I think. The nose of my board is still slowing down the rotation. Sheeting in hard helps, staying tucked helps, leaning forward helps but there I tend to oversheet before the pop and prevent the board from releasing better. A bit hard to explain.

Anyway, one more good session tomorrow and then I go on a break. Hoping for more waterstarts and maybe one while staying in the straps so help me God Very Happy

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's been interesting to see the increased rotation with each session regardless of being sick, having to deal with tough conditions, etc, each session seems to a touch better than the past one. That is very encouraging when sometimes we might feel like we make "no" progress, there seems to be always some progress Smile

EDIT2: Spent way too much time to make this but thought it'd be appreciated!!! Off of chop, since I'm too scared on a proper wave where I tend not to commit as much.

manuel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge conditions on my last session before a well-deserved break! Side to side-off, 3-4m waves nice and powerful, 16-26 knots, 5.0 (well powered with y 67kgs) First time I felt such a blast of wind coming out of the eye of a wave.

2 days prior my friend has noticed a large dark grey sharkie looking beast. He is used to surfing with them and got a bit spooked. Great !!!

We were 4, only locals. After crossing a mean looking reef, jumping probably as high as I have ever jumped, I chose this 2m ramp to throw a forward in front of my buddies... gotta go for it, yes-no, HUUUUGE forward attempt, not sure what happened or whether the 5.0 surprised me (hadn't sailed it over 20 knots in a long time) , but I didn't sheet in, still I'm hanging on, upside down, time stops, I think of my wife and 2 daughters, everything must have an end... then I drop and slap down on my back, wow... CRAYZY!!!

Then I wanted to try another one fast before the fear creeps back. Turned around, got some great rides on these beautiful stunning waves. And on my way back out tried another spin loop. Only this time it was much more manageable, the gear spun around nicely without losing momentum. Upon landing the gear did something that happened once before, it spun all the way until beam reach!!! Perfect for a waterstart, the sail catches a bit but too light !! Darn... I get off the straps and get up immediately after, wow, still pretty good!

The wind drops a bit and it's now a strong surf sailing session, we ride until we can hardly move and head back to shore. Some of us get rinsed in the powerful shorebreak. I drop and get shoved in shallow waters but not too bad. Nothing damaged.

I get to shore and there I look at my cam, it's turned off? Weird... well it was full of water! The small door must have gotten open somehow. So no photos/videos just a nice little write-up!

Seems like the waterstart in the straps is right there. Maybe a 43 y/o bday gift Smile

philodog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In every pic your front arm is bent on takeoff. You mention that Tiki`s arms are straight but what is most important is that his FRONT arm is straight. It is straight because he is moving the mast forward which puts the center of effort forward which makes him rotate fast. With your front arm bent your CoE is towards the middle and hence a slow rotation. Your arm position should be similar to shooting a bow and arrow. With the CoE forward it doesn`t take much wind or height to rotate all the way around. So next session stand up straight (don`t lean back) and shoot a bow and arrow!
philodog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps as you noted Tiki is sheeted out on takeoff. That is NOT what you want to do when learning. That is a more advanced technique for doing a delayed forward. He will sheet in hard at the end knowing he will rotate fast enough to make the landing.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right, attempts have gone better when front arm was straight right at take-off, can see more below...

Well, back at it!!! Wow, totally got stuck quite often and often times on the first attempt... incredible this thing.
More details on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Manus-Windsurfing-Blog-204083476593704/

Tips / Suggestions from the setup below?

Should look more like this:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 18 of 25

Jump to: