myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Verizon users - you might not be getting wind alerts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Verizon users - you might not be getting wind alerts Reply with quote

I have my mobile iWindSurf wind alerts sent to xxxxxxxxxx@vtext.com, where xxx is my phone number. This means they appear as a SMS on my Verizon iPhone.A couple of weeks ago they just stopped coming in.

After talking with WeatherFlow support it appears Verizon is blocking emails from @weatherflow.com so these alerts are not getting through.

This does not affect alerts sent to the "WindAlert" app on iOS and Android.

So a head's up - you might miss an epic session!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been receiving alerts also and I'm on Sprint
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, Verizon has FAR better coverage in some places such as the far eastern Gorge. Anyone with repeated coverage problems with their present provider should consider asking others if they're having the same problems.

Mostly irrelevant but interesting story about that, in case anyone has forgotten it: I called AT&T about a service problem. She HAD to have a street address or major intersection within a couple of blocks to even begin troubleshooting. She didn't understand the concept of four-wheel drive, sagebrush, and rattlesnakes, so I asked her where she lived.

"Manhattan".

"Ever left the island?"

"No. Why would I want to do that?"
madmanex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey loopless, thanks for the heads up. I'm also on Verizon and you are right, all of a sudden the alerts just stopped coming through. How do we get Verizon to stop blocking these emails?
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmanex wrote:
hey loopless, thanks for the heads up. I'm also on Verizon and you are right, all of a sudden the alerts just stopped coming through. How do we get Verizon to stop blocking these emails?

It’s up to windalert to fix it. The emails come from weatherflow.com to the Verizon system. It appears Verizon is blocking their domain. Please complain to weatherflow .
I switched to using notifications sent direct to the windalert app. Another thing you can do is set up an email alert to your regular email then set up a rule to forward that to xxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com where xxx is your phone number.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 weeks and no alerts on sprint
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Honestly, I am getting worried about WindAlert/WeatherFlow these days. They give the impression that they fired the web developers and the whole operation is being held together with string and duct tape and is being run by a couple of guys out of some strip mall in Florida.

- Ancient forum software. Maybe move everything to FaceBook?
- For goodness sake, shut down the 1990's era classifieds and move them to a FaceBook classifieds or something more robust
- They still can't figure out the transition from the old iWindSurf to the new WindAlert web sites ( which don't work on an iPad in Safari).

Hi MalibuGuru,

Thanks for your concern! Explore the weatherflow.com site especially under the menu option "Professional Services" and you will see that we are quite busy.

Just to give two small examples: Our Hurricane Sensor Mesonet arrangement with NOAA has been providing invaluable wind tracking information and damage assessment during this active hurricane season. We are also busy providing data, modeling etc. information to entities ranging from the DOD, NWS, to local utilities and the wind energy sector. At the same time we are expanding our successful WINDX product that supports the transfer and trading of catastrophic hurricane risk in capital markets.

On the manufacturing side of weatherflow we are busy finalizing our revolutionary suite of home weather instruments for market release.

All of this takes time and resources. So at times we have to let the older consumer products like iwindsurf partially coast for a while especially during the off season. Dealing with telecom companies like Verizon and Sprint regarding the blocked wind alert is time consuming and is an extremely low priority to these companies. But we are working on it.

-I agree this forum system is ancient. It also brings in zero income and we have to pay people to monitor it for spam and personal attacks. It is very unlikely to improved anytime soon.

- I also agree about the classified part of the classic IW. The reason we don't spend time and money on it is covered above.

- The windalert.com you appear to be using is an old unsupported beta site. Instead use http://wx.iwindsurf.com/map#37.775,-122.419,10,1 I have used this site on my ipad Pro and Safari many times per day with no issues.

- Lastly look at the New ikitesurf.com classified, Videos, Lists, News etc. to see where the new IW. may be going: http://wx.ikitesurf.com/map#37.808,-122.454,10,272184

Never fear... the old classic iwindsurf.com will stay around as long as we can find geezer programers who can comprehend the ancient backend code and the primordial bug rotted html.

Lastly, Weatherflow has grown inconceivably from the days when is was just called iwindsurf. But still in all of our offices nationwide the great majority of employees from the CEO down to the phone support staff and especially 10 man/woman meteorology team, is made up of windsurfers and kiters. So no matter how large we grow our passion is wind. And last week we started working on a Nav. Aid based sensor location that will provide fantastic for sailors from TI, to the Olympic Circle to Pt. Isabel to Sherman Island.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

WF in action.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.51 KB
 Viewed:  21909 Time(s)

WF in action.jpg

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for contacting us. Our IT department is currently investigating an issue with text message alerts. There are several carriers that are not passing the alerts through to mobile devices via SMS (text message). E-mail alerts and push notification alerts are functioning if you'd like to use those methods to receive alerts. We hope to make some progress with the mobile service providers and resolve this issue soon. Thanks!
jmakers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Ancient forum software. Maybe move everything to FaceBook?
- For goodness sake, shut down the 1990's era classifieds and move them to a FaceBook classifieds or something more robust
- They still can't figure out the transition from the old iWindSurf to the new WindAlert web sites ( which don't work on an iPad in Safari).

NNNNOOOOOOOO facebook NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FB is so slow and cumbersome while it tries to figure out what it needs to do to hook me into clicking here and there and trying to pull my attention from what I came there for or at least keep me there longer so they can charge more for ads, like a sucking vortex with many tentacles trying to reach out and grab me, meanwhile probably scouring my device for scraps of info they can use/sell.

Of course, here we have the flipping, zinging, bouncing ads to annoy me, but they're not usually impinging on the content as much. (Shoutout to Ventana Sports that had a nice stable ad up today!)

Yeah, the new iWindsurf site doesn't work as well as it ought to on touchscreen devices, I wish I had participated with more feedback when they were developing it.

I'd rather they get that working better, and make it work more like the old "dynamic" graphs than spend money revamping this forum.

SMS alerts are still working on Ting (which is a MVNO using T-Mobile's network).

Loopless -- are you paying at the Gold level? --> "premium" support
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at "gold" level.
I actually agree that FB is probably not optimum for the forums, but FB classifieds seem to work pretty well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: