myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windglider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wil235

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 1:55 pm    Post subject: Windglider Reply with quote

Looking for some feedback on the Mistral Windglider. I know its a toy, but Im looking for something for the kids ( 3 and 6) and maybe the wife to knock around with and maybe even learn on. Ive read some positive feedback from intructors - any bad things I should know.

-Will
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 3:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Windglider Reply with quote

we took the windglider rig and adapted it for a beginner windsurf board, primarily for little kids. It works great, it is extremely light and the boom is the right size for little hands.

As for the windglider, we dont use it now. Tried in the past, but it wasnt suitable enough to teach windsurfing on. It didnt have the dynamics of a real board. But it did provide an easy way for people to start.

As for your case, it might be useful, certainly for your kids.
sickforwind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 9:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Windglider Reply with quote

I bought a Windglider for my wife and two daughters (6&4 yo) last year. While I wont say its turned them into the windsurfing fanatic their Dad has become, I will say its given them a taste of board sailing. All three can enjoy sailing together with my wife holding the sail. The rig (2.4) is still too big for the kids to use alone though. Though others may not admit it so readily, the board is even a little bit of fun for more experience sailers - hell, I completed my first duck-jibe on my windglider :-b I love it. Its sort of a cross between a pool-toy and a sailboard; whats not to love.
windsurf50

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 10:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Windglider Reply with quote

Windglider makes a really good KAYAK. FOR Kids. It is great for very light winds too. Let me suggest that if you purchase one get some of the bathtub stickers for the deck because it is slicker than snot once it gets wet.
tfeldstein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 4:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Windglider Reply with quote

I echo the earlier comments, but having just come back from Hawaii where my kids fooled around for three days on a Windglider you have to realize that kids your age are not big enough to manage the sail. My 5.5 year old son cant uphaul or hold the sail for any period (even the 1.7). While my 7.75 year old daughter did much better, I think the conventional wisdom, of having to weigh approximately 75 pounds is probably true. That being said I am ordering one. I also agree with the nonstick comment. The sucker is too slipery for these little feet.
gemoore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 9:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Windglider Reply with quote

Never been on a windglider, but I sympathize with the non-skid issue.

Re-dek is another solution, but its pretty toxic stuff. Basically paint remover with grit mixed in. A somewhat less toxic solution would be clear polyurethane with grit mixed in. You can buy the grit, or try the suggestions Ive heard for salt. Neither of these solutions have the charm of shower stall flowerettes....

GEM
imspent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 8:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Windglider, No slip? Use flip flops. Reply with quote

My family has used it as a pull behind for the boat, a Kayak, and learning the windsurfing thing. To prevent slipping we use sandals, flip-flops, old sneakers. But I really like the shower-flower idea. The re-deck idea may not be hot since the deck isnt traditional, probably thick plastic sheet over plywood?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: