myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 208, 209, 210 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: PA on Fri/ Stick on Sat Reply with quote

bert wrote:
5.0 on the foil at Palo Alto on Friday with the wind average at 13-14 mph. Couple of guys out on a 6.9 and 7.3. Pulled a couple of foil duck jibes coming in towards the ramp. Quit when the foil started to drag mud on the inside.
Did the Stick today wind the wind at an anemic 10 mph. I went 5.3 which was a half meter too small. While I was slogging on the foil I worked on tacks, heli's, push tacks, snap turns, until there was enough wind to get the foil up. I did more pumping than usual to get the foil working. Glad I have the Slingshot foil. While slow, it gets up easily, rides nice, and is not as twitchy as the carbon foils out there.

Nice to see you at the Stick today!

I must admit that I remain not impressed by the foils. Today I was out with my venerable Isonic 111 (it is the 2008 model!) and a new Goya 7.2 (6 battens, very light, but not such a fast sail) and I was planing happily while I saw mostly slogging from you two guys foils Shocked
bert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foiling is not for everyone and won't ever replace those special days on a windsurfer when everything goes right. It is a special type of ride that needs to be experienced to appreciate and I'm glad that I can do it. I'll add it to the mix as I plan on sailing my other boards next season.
Other benefits of foiling not realized until I tried it is that my 6 pack is back, my hairline is no longer receding ( yes, Davide, there is hope for you), and I feel 15 years younger
Very Happy
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it ups your testosterone levels?

The next thing you'll know, they will be selling foils in GNC.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Foiling is not for everyone and won't ever replace those special days on a windsurfer when everything goes right. It is a special type of ride that needs to be experienced to appreciate and I'm glad that I can do it. I'll add it to the mix as I plan on sailing my other boards next season.
Other benefits of foiling not realized until I tried it is that my 6 pack is back, my hairline is no longer receding ( yes, Davide, there is hope for you), and I feel 15 years younger
Very Happy

I not really sure why foil could not be for everybody ... but all I am trying to say is that I have not seen that much of a "light air advantage" from the foils. Dan Montague was out at Coyote Sunday with the NP 135 F4 Foil and a 7.8 and he seemed ok, but I would have been planing on a regular board (plenty) with a 7.8, like I was doing at the Stick with the 7.2, and foils were not going anywhere with a smaller sail ...
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that equal sizes and skilled, a big foil can go in about 3 mph lighter breeze or 2 meter smaller sail.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I suspect that equal sizes and skilled, a big foil can go in about 3 mph lighter breeze or 2 meter smaller sail.

I don't really see that at the pond ... last Saturday I was on a 7.2 planing happily and the two foils out were on mid 5 sails and slogging 95% of the time. Don at Coyote was out with a 7.8 and F4 foil out of the water about 70% of the time.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same weight and skill. Skill at the chosen sport, not the other sport.
I windsurf with 4 foilers of my size pretty regularly, and the relation to planing- foiling is about that.
Going to try the. Naish foil soon, if we ever get over this heat spell.
But. I'm about your size, and tis area might be a little too windy for fulltime foiling
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Same weight and skill. Skill at the chosen sport, not the other sport.
I windsurf with 4 foilers of my size pretty regularly, and the relation to planing- foiling is about that.
Going to try the. Naish foil soon, if we ever get over this heat spell.
But. I'm about your size, and tis area might be a little too windy for fulltime foiling

At the risk of repeating myself: I see maybe a 1-1.5 square meter advantage (if you can call it so, because of course now you are carrying a 10 pounds meter long foil). Even in competition, at the recent French Foil Nationals people were using 8.8 to 9.5 sails, 1 meter down from Formula, same of the biggest Slalom boards. It is not magic, even Foil Kites REALLY brake into light wind sailing only when they sport 15-20 square meters kites!

Speed wise a foils like the Slingshot (and probably the Naish) is going 15-20 knots max ... standing still compared to slalom gear ...
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porportions?
Maybe for little sailors, the diff can be very little. But like every other sport, when you increase body size, the difference becomes more than just linear.
And it's hard to find 4 sailors the same skill and size using foil and slalom in the same waters at the same time.
bert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Coyote on Saturday Reply with quote

Late October surprise at Coyote this Saturday. Wind was about 13 on the inside and 15 at SFO when I headed out on on foil and 5.9 Volt. Got in the air 100 yds out and sailed past the second buoy when the wind began its increase to 20. Stayed on the inside for the remainder of the session though by 4 pm I could have been on a 5.0 on the foil. Everyone else was on a meter to 2 meter larger sail. Today marks my 80th session on the Slingshot foil. For me this season is like the Frank Sinatra song.. "It was a very good year". Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 208, 209, 210 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 209 of 329

Jump to: