myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Hawaii?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jansurfs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 11:18 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Hawaii? Reply with quote

My folks are planning a family trip to Hawaii, and theyve asked me what island Id like to go to. We will go in January.

I want to windsurf while Im there, but I have no idea about conditions, rentals etc.

I consider myself a pretty good surfer, with no problems on the waterstart and harness use, but am definitely still learning the turning and jumping.

Id appreciate some feedback on what island I should go to, in order to rent gear, have some steady breezes, and conditions where I can have fun and learn.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jan
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Hawaii? Reply with quote

Maui ... but windsurfing will probably be a spectator sport in January, with the giant surf that makes pros think twice. You mught get lucky and catch a sailable day or two of uncommon wind and uncommon intermediate conditions. Hawaiian Island Windsurfing and HiTech Hawaii are two popular sources of gear and lessons.

Talk your family into going in the summer. Its MUCH cheaper, and you can sail every day.

Mike \m/
carl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 6:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Hawaii? Reply with quote

Ive been to Maui in January when the surf was big. It is still quite sailable inside the reef at Kanaha for intermediates. The big surf is on the outside reef. Kihei is still flat (with chop) unless there is a south swell. The wind is more iffy in the winter. Youll get 3-4 sailable days a week. But its 80 degrees so who cares. Theres pleanty else to do on the no-wind days! Surfing, diving, biking, hiking, fishing etc...and the surf is not big ALL the time .
carl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 9:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Hawaii? Reply with quote

I think Mike may be exagerating a bit. The three times ive been to Maui in Jan, the waves at Kanaha werent that big. Intermeadiate sailing was was great inside the reef and there is a channel with no waves to get out into the deep water. Upper Kanaha reef (about 1/2 mile out) and Hoopkipa
were experts only with big waves (sometimes).Wind, youll get 3-4 days of trades then 3-4 days where it shuts off. occasionally a strong south wind from a front will blow 4.0. from the south at Kihei. The waves were always small or non-existant at Kihei. The weather cant be beat.
la.mendota

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 2:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Hawaii? Reply with quote

Contrary to popular belief, Hawaii is not cheaper in the summer. The biggest bite out of your wallet is airfare and it goes up in the summer. If I could go in the spring or fall I have seen airfares at half the price of summer. The reason it is so big is its the only time you can take kids for weeks at a time and not miss school except for the last 2 weeks of Dec (another expensive time).
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: