myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Jersey Windsurf Tourist - Ideas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back home now, after a VERY quick visit to New Jersey for the first time. "Thanks for ALL the windsurf tourist tips"!!

I used as many as I could, haha!

But because of sleeping-in with 3 hour jet lag, having a hard time getting an early start from Morristown, and seeing the area where my daughter just moved in to 4 weeks ago... we did NOT get early starts on Fri and Sat driving out to explore the New Jersey shoreline. Still though, we did get oriented to your great coastline and became familiar with places I'd heard of, but never been to before. Here's a little of what we did for my 2 day visit to New Jersey.

Fri - Spent time at Sandy Hook and the Gateway National Recreation area. Drove all of it, checked out the lighthouse, and the history of the area. Hung out at "Lot C" for a while watching... and visiting with a couple local windsurfers there. Approx. 8 windsurfer and 8 Kiter's out in Sandy Hook Bay. It looked nice... it would've been fun to take a quick ride. Mellow 10-15 knot N winds, blue sky, temps in the 80's.. really pretty.

Then did tourist stuff down at Sea Bright and Asbury Park (and tried to find Bruce Springsteen songs in the radio). Walked a bit into the ocean waves, warmer than I thought it'd be, but didn't go swimming. Played on the boardwalk a bit.

Sat morning - Texted with Ken (H2 Windsurfing) and was going to meet up and rent gear. But he and Eileen were going to Long Island for the day to do (or help with) a clinic. So was nice chatting with him, but nothing was going to work out for this trip.

Then my daughter and I drove all the way to the far S tip of the New Jersey. We explored and checked out Cape May, lighthouse, history, all great.

Then drove up the shore to Atlantic City and Pleasantville and Jim's operation (Extreme Windsurfing) on Lakes Bay, behind the Comfort Inn. I'd talked to him on the ph and he had 7.5m sail for me, and I brought my harness... but it just wasn't breezy enough to get me out, and he didn't even suggest it. But we did have a great, long chat about the current state of windsurfing and windsurfing history. I only go back to '81.... he goes back to the mid 70's.

Seems like a great guy... and cool that he's been into supporting windsurfing for 25 years with his little business (and lessons / rentals) there at Lakes Bay. And he told me the Bay is named after a famous military guy named Lakes (it has nothing to do with a lake, haha).
Another sunny, blue sky day, temps in the upper 80's, light N breezes,
Then... we went up to the Seaside area, and explored and ate and did boardwalk stuff.

Sunday, spent all day traveling home and time changes.
Conclusion - New Jersey looks like a great windsurfing spot... sounds like quite decent wind much of the year... an active local club-group... a couple businesses supporting active and new windsurfers... flat-water protected windsurfing, inside all those barrier islands or peninsulas... or ocean wave swell windsurfing out in the Atlantic!!

Thanks again for those that took the time to give me some direction, info and tips Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: