myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Photos from last night of 14 day Gorge fire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Photos from last night of 14 day Gorge fire Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

The 11 day fire that has destroyed most of the Oregon side of the Columbia River Gorge exploded yesterday in 29 knot winds. The fire is now approaching the far outskirts of Hood River, Oregon.

This forum link has photos and maps of the fires activity yesterday.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32930

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

FireTimeLapseAnim.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.77 MB
 Viewed:  22169 Time(s)

FireTimeLapseAnim.gif

Fire1 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  456.04 KB
 Viewed:  22291 Time(s)

Fire1 2.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so sad and terrible
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
sailnbike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad indeed and the thought of how needlessly it started makes it all the worse.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailnbike wrote:
Sad indeed and the thought of how needlessly it started makes it all the worse.

Missed this, How did it start?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVENT SITE IS NOT YET OPEN FOR LAUNCH/LANDING!!!!
**PLEASE SHARE!**
The Event Site and Lot C-1 are momentarily on emergency reservation hold for Firefighters and as a priority evacuation location for possible LEVEL 3 evacuees.
We apologize for the change of plans, but with the current events surrounding the Eagle Creek Fires and the increased evacuation possibilities and relocation needs, the Port had this land in their laps within the last 24 hours and is doing their best to help fire and aid services.
Again, just to repeat and confirm, the Event Site is still to be avoided for launch/land use, and we ask all kiters to continue with the standard protocol of using the sandbar.
Thank you for your understanding and support during these challenging times in Hood River.
Your Local CGKA Representatives
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story of how the fire started:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2017/09/witness_teens_giggled_as_they.html

Summary of fire from my perspective.
Sept. 3, the morning the 13 day fire started, I was driving west in the Gorge to Portland in the morning and happened to glance at the Eagle Creek trail head and noticed how crowded it was for 9AM. That afternoon leaving Portland I saw a huge but very localized mass of clouds over the mid Gorge. As I drove back on Interstate 84 through the Gorge I realized that the fire was near Eagle Creek which is an area with some of the most spectacular waterfall hikes anywhere.

The next day upper 20's EAST winds carried the fire down the full length of the western end of the Gorge near the satellite towns on the far outskirts of Portland. The fire then slowed and moved southward into the beautiful canyons of the Gorge.

Then on Sept 13 we had upper 20's WEST wind. I was at the Hatch on my way to Portland again when I saw the fire literally explode up a ridge to the west and to being a march towards Hood River. The photos you saw above were from that day.

Interstate 84 from Hood River to near Portland was closed for 10 days but is now open west bound only. The fire has slowed yesterday due to weak winds but today, Sept. 16, Stevenson is seeing EAST winds at 25 and 33 at Rooster Rock. This may cause the fire enlarge to the west.

The map below shows the extent of the fire as of yesterday. Driving along Hwy. 14 on the WA. side it looks like the fire damage on on the Oregon walls of the Gorge is patchy with some areas devastated while others areas are OK. For the most part the trees right along Hwy. 84 and the river are OK. It is mostly the canyons and ridge tops that have been destroyed.

The smoke has been really bad. Normally I can see about 25 miles down the Gorge from my house. Most days I am now seeing about 500 feet.

They don't expect to have the fire fully contained until winter rains. Fighting a fire in the precipitous terrain is difficult and the smoke is often too thick for helicopters and planes. 1000 men are on the ground fighting the fire but those operations are mostly to save houses etc.

Mike Godsey

fire Sept 15.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.67 KB
 Viewed:  21867 Time(s)

fire Sept 15.jpg

windfind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photo were taken last night, Sept 16, at about 8PM. The top one is from my place looking west past the Hatchery towards Stevenson. Long exposure hand held so shaky. Trees were exploding every minute or so.

The second is from the Stevenson Cam.

I drove on Hay. 84 yesterday from Hood River to Cascade Locks to talk to locals about the fire. I will have photos and summary later today.

Mike Godsey

Fire Sept 16.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.5 KB
 Viewed:  21692 Time(s)

Fire Sept 16.jpg

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this lightning or terrorism as it says there was a prior fire before the idiots threw fireworks.
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was the small Tunnel Falls fire that had been smoldering for weeks about 4 miles up the canyon. It was out of the Gorge wind zone and did not seem to be expanding. The fire the kid started was definitely in the wind zone. And the trail is on a narrow ledge with several hundred feet near vertical drop off into a narrow canyon. See spring time images below. This has been a very dry hot summer. The kid threw fireworks from this trail into the canyon and the fire started almost explosively. Meanwhile, according to witnesses, he was being photographed by his selfie taking giggling friends.

It happened so fast that the 160+ people at the waterfall had no time to escape back the trail and had to spend the night trapped between the 2 fires with most in swim suits with no food or water.

Mike

FallsTrail.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  434.82 KB
 Viewed:  21642 Time(s)

FallsTrail.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
mf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a loss
Thank you for keeping us all informed and for the pictures of the devastation
For many of us in the windsurfing community with nostalgia for this very special area these are sad images
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: