myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
donations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfeldstein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 4:53 pm    Post subject: donations Reply with quote

I would like to donate some of my old equipment to a club/school etc in the Bay Area rather than try to sell it at a swap meet. Any ideas on who migth be receptive. The have an 810 ASD RKT which is long in the tooth but very salable and perhaps some Hurricane Sails which are from 95 but very sailable. Thanks for the ideas.
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 11:45 pm    Post subject: RE: donations Reply with quote

Stanford has a windsurfing club. Also the Salvation army will take it.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 7:18 pm    Post subject: RE: donations Reply with quote

Great idea, but you should be aware those Hurricanes are worth some money. I sold my 4-8-year-old quiver (1991-95 vintage) for $1600 in 99. After all, many people still believe there is no better B&J sail on the market, that no sail rigs/re-rigs more easily, spins tighter in a jibe, holds up longer (the guy who hand-made my Hurricanes had to get down on his hands and knees and look for dirt under a seam to be sure a couple of them had been used -- after 48 consecutive months use on them), or has more sheer power. Their nearest competition, in many sailors opinion, BOASTS, Our sail is designed to produce less power when wound up, because the Hurricanes endless power is counterproductive. No one wants POWER all the time.

Sez WHO?

Ask Bart what theyre worth: 541-387-4443 in Hood River 9-3 PDT except Tuesdays. Consider selling them and giving the profit to charity. Giving usable Hurricanes to a school is like hanging Whistlers Mother in an outhouse.

Mike \m/
tfeldstein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 4:25 pm    Post subject: RE: donations Reply with quote

Thanks for the emassage. I have changed my mind.
tfeldstein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:44 pm    Post subject: RE: donations Reply with quote

One question. What did you replace your Hurricanes with?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 9:01 am    Post subject: RE: donations Reply with quote

I had sailed Hurricanes for 8 years, loving every minute of them. I had also tested hundreds of sails for a windsurfing gear test magazine from 92-96. During those tests we usually had to remove one brand of sails from the test fleet after the first few days of testing so the dozens of testers would test something ELSE for a change. This entire line, from wave to race sails, usually won raves from almost every tester, and was the one brand I felt was consistently as good as or even better than my Hurricanes.

This brand is the last sail made in the USA, last I heard. They also offer customers the same sails made overseas, at noticeably lower prices, at equal or BETTER quality and consistency, but with fewer size and color options.

Theyre Northwaves, out of Hood River, and I dont even miss my Hurricanes ... much. Just like Hurricanes, we can get significant discounts on the NEXT years sails in the winter. Im on my second quiver of Northwaves, and this year I spread out the quiver to 3.0. 3.5, 4.2, 5.0, and 6.0 to save re-rigging, thinking, space, money, and hassle (I maintain the hardware to rig every sail at the same time to avoid all the re-rigging). I havent missed the half-meter spacing at all. In fact, Ive come in on my 6.0 to rig down to my 5.0, only to find out the rest of the guys were coming in to downhaul their 4.7s to the max or rig their 4.2s (mostly Hurricanes). I went straight to my 4.2 and was fully powered. Yet when theyre on their 3.2s, my 3.0 is WAY powered. I used to have to go to my 2.8 (at 185 pounds) when they were on 3.2s, the small Northwaves are that powerful.

I gave Ezzy a very close look as my second choice before buying Northwaves in 99, talking at length to people who had owned both brands, including one local who had worked and sailed for both brands. One Gorge local had switched from Northwave out of curiosity after wearing out a quiver of them. He bought two or three other well-respected brands of quivers, only to return them within a couple of weeks dissatisfied. He went back to Northwave within a month or two.

I dont even own a camber inducer anymore. I just have no use for them, much preferring the lively feeling of RAFs/camless to the dead feeling of even one cam. My sail/wind range is just fine sans cams.

No, I dont work for Northwave, nor get any kickback. I just love their sails and service.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 9:01 am    Post subject: RE: donations Reply with quote

I had sailed Hurricanes for 8 years, loving every minute of them. I had also tested hundreds of sails for a windsurfing gear test magazine from 92-96. During those tests we usually had to remove one brand of sails from the test fleet after the first few days of testing so the dozens of testers would test something ELSE for a change. This entire line, from wave to race sails, usually won raves from almost every tester, and was the one brand I felt was consistently as good as or even better than my Hurricanes.

This brand is the last sail made in the USA, last I heard. They also offer customers the same sails made overseas, at noticeably lower prices, at equal or BETTER quality and consistency, but with fewer size and color options.

Theyre Northwaves, out of Hood River, and I dont even miss my Hurricanes ... much. Just like Hurricanes, we can get significant discounts on the NEXT years sails in the winter. Im on my second quiver of Northwaves, and this year I spread out the quiver to 3.0. 3.5, 4.2, 5.0, and 6.0 to save re-rigging, thinking, space, money, and hassle (I maintain the hardware to rig every sail at the same time to avoid all the re-rigging). I havent missed the half-meter spacing at all. In fact, Ive come in on my 6.0 to rig down to my 5.0, only to find out the rest of the guys were coming in to downhaul their 4.7s to the max or rig their 4.2s (mostly Hurricanes). I went straight to my 4.2 and was fully powered. Yet when theyre on their 3.2s, my 3.0 is WAY powered. I used to have to go to my 2.8 (at 185 pounds) when they were on 3.2s, the small Northwaves are that powerful.

I gave Ezzy a very close look as my second choice before buying Northwaves in 99, talking at length to people who had owned both brands, including one local who had worked and sailed for both brands. One Gorge local had switched from Northwave out of curiosity after wearing out a quiver of them. He bought two or three other well-respected brands of quivers, only to return them within a couple of weeks dissatisfied. He went back to Northwave within a month or two.

I dont even own a camber inducer anymore. I just have no use for them, much preferring the lively feeling of RAFs/camless to the dead feeling of even one cam. My sail/wind range is just fine sans cams.

No, I dont work for Northwave, nor get any kickback. I just love their sails and service.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: