myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light wind foiling: monster sail or bigger foil
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops I'm confused. I thought the H4 was the surfing bat wing and the H5 was the kite wing.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, but I have been on what I told would be called the H4. It looks like a small stingray. I have a pic but can't get it to attach. If you email me I can send that way:

ericnhollyhr "at gee mail dot com"

Regardless, all wings work on everything with regard to attachment. The wing I am on is a SUP wing and I love it on my kitefoil. May, or may not feel as good on windsurfer?
mac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Sylvester, Anders, Mike Percy, and Xavier are trying to figure this out in the Bay area. Xavier won the windsurfing division of the Bridge to Bridge with a big foil and a 10.0 meter sail, and he has been able to get great speed on a foil. He is a superior athlete and windsurfer.

All of these are efforts to develop a racing foil to replace formula racing, and it is working. I am sailing an F4 80 cm foil, and find it much easier than last year's model, but I have no intention of racing anymore. Extending the distance so I can sail to Alcatraz from Berkeley is the goal.

Getting up, rather than bouncing, is a matter of both speed and tuning. More speed means more lift, and things happen more quickly. (Bigger foils and increased angle of attack mean more lift, but also more drag.) Several have moved their foot straps back a bit, nearly everyone has moved their mast base back. Weighting the rear gets you up faster, but the challenge becomes trim. At that point, everything matters. Skill at making small adjustments smoothly (sudden adjustments mean you are swimming), boom height, mast track position, water state.

Slower foils are generally more stable--but not always. The payoff is when you are floating over the water, not going as fast as you would on a formula or slalom board--but not pounding into every wave either.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the H4 is the surf SUP wing and is the one I'd like to demo. Seems to be almost 50% greater area than the HD that comes with the Fwind1.

Right now I need about 10mph board speed to foil, I'd love to drop that down to 6-7 even if I then can't go faster than 15 or so. Basically make it like the Naish appears to perform in that video. I think the low launch speed is part of the reason they can run such small sails.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you'd need a super lightweight, just wide enough board, sail tuned for only lightest breezes, and great pumping technique, with a tiny wind range.
Kinda like the Naish setup for 160 lbs rider's, so adjust if you weigh different and have different skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: