myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maryhill/The Wall on August 18th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmmiller

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Maryhill/The Wall on August 18th Reply with quote

Guys,

I was on duty for the forecast today and it was definitely an unique day meteorologically for the winds in the Gorge. However, winds at the sensors (which I know generally read higher than winds at the WA launches) were reading 30+ much of the day with Maryhill even reporting a spike to 40! So, my question is, what were the winds like at the WA launches? I had added a jabber mention that winds would likely be 7-12 knots lighter on the WA side. How did I do? I was not out there today.

-Ben
philodog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind from 11-2 was consistent with good swell. Starting at the blip down on the graph at 2pm the wind became very up and down until I left at 5. The wind was no where near the graph speeds. Averages were low to mid 20s with gusts to 30 and lulls to 10 at times. This was at Rufus but it seemed similar at the boat ramp on the WA side.
dim27

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've been at The Wall around 3-3:30, the wind seemed to be low 20th (we didn't sail). OR site looked a bit better, but not much. Then we went to Maryhill, and to our surprise - the wind was strong there, I'd say upper 20th with gusts well into upper 30th. I sailed 4.0/75L when the right choice should have been 3.5/66L. There were some holes, but not many. The wind was consistent across all the river, there was no significant shadow at WA side.

https://youtu.be/1pUFXUbgov0
cascade747

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Celilo 1-4pm. Wind was pretty good wall to wall till about 3 then started to get a little punchy as the gusts seemed to be setting down in patches with the cloud overrun. I was on 3.7M which means 25-30 for my 140 lbs.. we left before the big surge on the Maryhill graph. Sure wish you would get a sensor at Celilo! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: