myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light Wind Board Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mgoetz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen - I checked out those boards and although they look like they are fast planers, I think I would have to sacrifice a lot of the glide and upwind mobility that I get on the Kona, more than I would like. Regardless, it's probably asking too much to get a fast planing, semi-long board that also glides well. My wife has a JP XCite Ride 146 that I might try with a big sail next time it looks like it's in the 12-15 knot range. It has the more modern short and wide shape like the boards you mentioned and although it won't be much fun if it's not planing, the volume will enable me to uphaul the sail if the wind drops too much to waterstart.
I probably need to also look at getting a carbon boom. The alum one I got for my 9.5 is big, thick, Chinnook boom that can probably handle an 11.0 and it makes the rig feel much heavier. While it certainly gives the Kona more cruising speed than my 7.5 rig, it doesn't really want to hop onto a plane any faster because of the added weight. I played around with the mast track and raised the boom without much improvement.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try foiling.
gorky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No combination of windsurf board and sail can match a windfoil for light wind and upwind performance, and foiling is more fun. There is, however, a substantial learning curve for foiling.
motogon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorky wrote:
No combination of windsurf board and sail can match a windfoil for light wind and upwind performance, and foiling is more fun. There is, however, a substantial learning curve for foiling.
and it also required at least 4' of water.
Mgoetz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you fasten a foil to one of your existing boards or did you also have to buy a board designed for foiling? And is there a level of chop where the board bottoms out? Water depth is not a problem though the waves can reach 4 feet in 20 knots. Oddly, I'm concerned that I would get so comfortable with the smooth ride I would forsake regular windsurfing. I was talking to friends who returned from Maui and they seemed to indicate that the kiters were now congregating in foiling and non foiling groups.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mgoetz wrote:
So did you fasten a foil to one of your existing boards or did you also have to buy a board designed for foiling? And is there a level of chop where the board bottoms out? Water depth is not a problem though the waves can reach 4 feet in 20 knots. Oddly, I'm concerned that I would get so comfortable with the smooth ride I would forsake regular windsurfing. I was talking to friends who returned from Maui and they seemed to indicate that the kiters were now congregating in foiling and non foiling groups.

No really compelling reason to buy a foil specific board unless you've got the cash.
The smooth ride is neat, more fun than barely planing, but it doesn't have quite the excitement of blasting fast across chop and jumping etc. At least at my level for both activities.

I think in 20 kts with 4 foot chop you'd have much more fun on a regular fin.
gorky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foiling is easiest on larger boards, I prefer formula size, others are comfortable ion anything wider than 70 cm. Foiling is more technical in large chop and waves, but the largest groups of foilers in the US are sailing San Francisco Bay and the Gorge, both of which can be choppy. I foil in Florida in relatively light winds and smoother conditions.

Until I started foiling, 18 months ago, I raced slalom and formula. I have gotten accustomed to the smooth flight of windfoiling, regular windsurfing seemed violent the last time I did it, which has been months now. Anybody want some good formula gear?, mine is gathering dust.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mgoetz wrote:

ummm, your original post was about a light wind board. In my area, guys are using foils on lightwind days and go to normal fins when the wind is strong enough to plane on small boards and sails. As others have stated, you can use a normal board, just get one that has a plate to protect the finbox from damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: