myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Worst week ever (or was it?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Worst week ever (or was it?) Reply with quote

So, I dropped my wife at the Portland airport Sunday. Some people got to work.

She had the best smile ever. Not only she got 27 out of 29 days of wind,but it was also her windiest Gorge ever: she used mostly her 3.3 on her 69L board.

Her farewell smile was even amplified by the fact that the coming week was going to be hell: we would bake in a windless Gorge. She almost felt sorry for leaving me here.

That Sunday, a lot of people at the Hatch were elaborating escape plans: going to the coast, going home in BC for a while, or simply shortening their stay. Never said so many "See ya next year" in the same day.

So, how was that hell of a week, really?

Monday, since there was going to be hardly any wind, I sailed my 6.2/95L right at my camp site, Viento. Wind was very steady, so I didn't mind not driving to the Hatch, where I would have been on a 5.3, according to the reports I got.

Tuesday, the forecast was right, no wind.

Wednesday, since there was not supposed to be any wind, I slept in. Kind of panicked when I looks on IWindsurf at around 10:30 and saw that it was blowing over 20 at Stevenson. Rushed there, to find out that I just missed a 5.7 session, according to my friend Richard, who was on a 5.0. I managed to save the day with a 2 hour of 7.4/125L. But sailing an easterly on a 7.4 is not really windsurfing, hey?

Thursday, no wind. forecasts can be right sometimes.

Friday, executive session on my 5.3 at Rowena, a bit overpowered, (ok, overpowered a lot).

Saturday, 5.3 at Viento, probably what I would have got at the Hatch.

This morning (Sunday), leafs where shaking at Viento. Checked it out at 8, a guy was out there, probably on a 6.0, or so. Had to take care of a few things first, but I managed to save the day with a good 2 hours of 7.4. Bit of misjudgment here, it's blowing right now (4 pm) for my 5.7 or 5.3 at the Hatch.

So, 5 days out of 7 of sailing in this windless baking week is not that bad after all, hey?

So, they are forecasting another baking windless week. Maybe I should leave. But maybe I won't. Wink
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Worst week ever (or was it?) Reply with quote

Guy,

It depends on just how cheap a date you really are (and you know how
cheap I am from Octobers past ;*) )

I'm pleased you are getting some rides. Please take a few for me, and
remember that Stuart and I have gotten planing rides at Blackberry on
some totally no-wind days.

See you in a couple of weeks when the "wind" comes back (and so do I).

-Craig

GuyT wrote:
Monday, since there was going to be hardly any wind, I sailed my 6.2/95L right at my camp site, Viento. Wind was very steady, so I didn't mind not driving to the Hatch, where I would have been on a 5.3, according to the reports I got.

Tuesday, the forecast was right, no wind.

Wednesday, since there was not supposed to be any wind, I slept in. Kind of panicked when I looks on IWindsurf at around 10:30 and saw that it was blowing over 20 at Stevenson. Rushed there, to find out that I just missed a 5.7 session, according to my friend Richard, who was on a 5.0. I managed to save the day with a 2 hour of 7.4/125L. But sailing an easterly on a 7.4 is not really windsurfing, hey?

Thursday, no wind. forecasts can be right sometimes.

Friday, executive session on my 5.3 at Rowena, a bit overpowered, (ok, overpowered a lot).

Saturday, 5.3 at Viento, probably what I would have got at the Hatch.

This morning (Sunday), leafs where shaking at Viento. Checked it out at 8, a guy was out there, probably on a 6.0, or so. Had to take care of a few things first, but I managed to save the day with a good 2 hours of 7.4. Bit of misjudgment here, it's blowing right now (4 pm) for my 5.7 or 5.3 at the Hatch.

So, 5 days out of 7 of sailing in this windless baking week is not that bad after all, hey?

So, they are forecasting another baking windless week. Maybe I should leave. But maybe I won't. Wink

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: epic week for foiling? Reply with quote

Hey Guy,

I hate to turn this thread into another discussion on wind foiling, but the current forecast of west winds struggling to reach the upper teens has me excited about the windfoil potential this week.
The foil can turn all of those "save the day" 7.4 sessions into great fun on a 5.4
I believe sailworks, big winds, windance, and 2nd wind all have windfoil demos now if you haven't tried it yet.
GuyT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, hilton08, I do have fun on a 7.4, otherwise, I wouldn't do it. but I agree with you, wind foiling sure looks fun for those light days. My problem with foils is their size; I would need a bigger van (or, get rid of my wife).

Craig, the fun thing about work, is that it is highly predictable: usually, five out of seven.

Wink
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense intended to Mike and the iWindsurf crew or Temira but lately the forecast has not been totally accurate. True, the window of opportunity might have only been 2-3 hours but all but about 2 of the last 10 days have been 15-25 or so and sailable on a 4.7 or 5.2. I sailed at Swell one day last week when the site was showing 12-26(?) and was very powered up on my 4.7 and 85ltr board (I'm 195, so not exactly a featherweight). There are so many variables in play here that forecasting is difficult at best. Example: today was a NO WIND day yet it's 15-26 at Swell right now (3:15) and people are sailing.
If you really want to sail (especially if you're on vacation here for that purpose) you should at least check it out around noon everyday. It might not happen but there's never a bad day at the beach, wind or no wind. And as Temira always says "Have an awesome day!"
30knotwind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This iW tool has been really good during the heat, it takes a minute to understand, but easy if you just calibrate after couple days of observation: moderate wind should continue for the next few days.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=218&Isection=Windbow&short=0

windbow.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.27 KB
 Viewed:  20214 Time(s)

windbow.png

hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the WindBow model is a great tool for determining if and when it is going to blow. At least as accurate as the human forecasters and it works all winter.
This afternoon was way too windy to foil, gusts in the upper 20's at the Event Site despite the forecasts.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case it is supposed to be 4 of 7, but since I left HR it's been 7 of 7.
Can't wait to return (if they don't chain me to my desk ;*) )

See you soon!

-Craig

GuyT wrote:

Craig, the fun thing about work, is that it is highly predictable: usually, five out of seven.

Wink
wdsurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Guy foiling Reply with quote

Guy sounds like your wife hit it right like gorge of old days!try foiling while your their I,m doing it back home got the gear make it fit in van I did.joe

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  888.92 KB
 Viewed:  19908 Time(s)

image.jpeg

GuyT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so trendy, Joe, knew you would become a foiler Wink

I don't look or sound conservative, but I am! Even bought a Fanatic Freewave Classic 2017 while they available. Heard their new STB is great, but I don't care, I don't want to try new stuff. Too old for that

Looking forward to see you and Deb next spring at Frisco Woods.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: