myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet windsup 11'8?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
The Kona is wide enough for most beginners (70 cm wide). It's maybe 15% less stable than the Exocet 11'8 (81 cm wide), but that's really not a big difference unless you're trying to SUP it in choppy water. Because it's narrower (and maybe a little heavier?) the Kona doesn't plane quite as early as the 11'8. But the daggerboard on the Kona is bigger and better than the daggerboard on the 11'8, so the Kona goes upwind a bit better and has less issues with water spraying through the daggerboard slot when you're planing.

If you get the Kona, you're probably going to want to keep the GO. You'll find yourself wanting to use the Kona in light winds where you can't plane on the GO, use the GO in medium winds where you can plane, and use the Kona again in really strong winds where you need the extra control of the narrower heavier board because the short wide GO is bouncing around out of control.

From reading a lot on this it seems the Kona is better suited to flat water, the exocet for ocean waves. Obviously, it's a generalisation but we sometimes get lake waves from the penciling wind. Nothing compared to ocean waves but is this chop going to be easier to deal with with a Kona or sup or not much difference? What is it specifically about the sup that makes it "absorb" ocean waves?
We have a river/big stream nearby also, can see how sups might work for that. Smile

joethewindsufa wrote:
or you could buy one of my old BIC Dufours for 60 bucks Smile
they go great on local lakes ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFZXtDSuq4I

Kind of an odd (old) mast attachment, no?
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIC Dufour mast base Crying or Very sad

can be modified to handle modern sails Smile

NOT the best of old lake boards, but turns on a dime
i started on the Dufour, and still enjoy it on a small lake
still prefer Fanatic Ultra CAT, Mistral Competition SST, Mistral Equipes, etc ...
in very light wind an old longboard glides faster that a KONA
i actually just bought another BIC to try on the lake
qwertyjjj can borrow a Dufour for a while if he wishes Very Happy
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kona handles chop just fine and will be a delight on lighter days.

You seem rather preoccupied with the perceived choppiness of you local conditions. I sail in short fetch/shallow areas which build very steep/close chop when it's blowing hard on boards similar to both the Kona and Go. Until you are going VERY fast in the straps board design just doesn't matter much.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it the Kona being narrower will be more manageable in heavy chop and will glide better sub planing.
The 11'8" being wider will get on a plane sooner in lighter wind, it's also better in small waves.
The Kona has no center rear foot strap position which always seemed a bit unusual to me.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwertyjjj wrote:

From reading a lot on this it seems the Kona is better suited to flat water, the exocet for ocean waves. Obviously, it's a generalisation but we sometimes get lake waves from the penciling wind. Nothing compared to ocean waves but is this chop going to be easier to deal with with a Kona or sup or not much difference? What is it specifically about the sup that makes it "absorb" ocean waves?
We have a river/big stream nearby also, can see how sups might work for that. Smile
?

I think I was misleading about what's better in rough water and why. The 11'8 is better to *paddle* in rough water because it's wider relative to it's thickness and therefore much less tippy. But when it comes to windsurfing at high speed, the narrower Kona is actually the one that is better at "absorbing" chop.

Standup Paddling in rough water: 11'8 stable, Kona unstable
Fast windsurfing in rough water: 11'8 good, Kona very good
Surfing waves with or without sail: 11'8 great, Kona ok
Non-planing upwind with daggerboard: 11'8 ok, Kona good
Planing upwind with just the fin: 11'8 good, Kona good
Early planing with a big sail: 11'8 great, Kona ok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: