myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjmiller76

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 10:50 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Australia Reply with quote

Im going to spend 3 weeks in Australia (Sydney & Brisbane) over Xmas & New Years, and am looking for any info on prime windsurfing venues in these areas. I would appreciate anyones advice on sailing spots with gear available for rent. Any internet links would be great as well.

Cheers for now,
Tom
jonnoshaw7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 11:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Australia Reply with quote

Unfortunately the best windsurfing is on the west coast of australia, however the east coast has great surfing.
Perth has consistent wind for about four months from November to feb. the breeze called the freemante doctor generally gets stronger as you go north (think oregon coast going south). My favorite places are Esperance south coast two thirds of the way across - crystal clear coolish water with big south swell and beautiful white sand beaches, Margaret river - Extreme southwest wine country gets BIG waves and coolish water over coral break and Geralton - hot dry wind and warm green water with good waves. Geralton is the most reliable, but can get a bit sticky.

Cheers
Jonno
sweeney1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 6:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Australia Reply with quote

I used to attend a fitness industry trade show held on the Gold coast each year in late November - early December, which is Springtime in OZ, and yes there was wind. Full whitecaps at 18- 20+ Knots. That first year I was unprepared, and had difficulty finding gear rentals. The following year I brought my rig with me. (Qantas let me bring it for free, they are very good about it). Flat water sailing is popular at Southport, and I found good wavesailing at Currumbin (next to the bird sanctuary - worth a visit too). No doubt there are other spots around. And when the wind backs off, be prepared to surf Burleigh Heads, Kirra and other world class spots in the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: