myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to consider adding foiling, that would mean buying a much wider board than I own now. With a good F4 foil and a bigger board bag, that's arguably getting awfully close to 5K. Yikes!

Right now, I've already got so much stuff, it almost seems ridiculous to consider expanding into a new realm. Before you know it, you can imagine having a quiver of foils, and a number of foil specific boards. Then, if you have to have the latest products, it becomes a seriously expensive endeavor to have the best. It's never ending.

You have to pity the married guys with a family that have to sell the wife on plans to add foiling to their watersports menu.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the whole idea of the whole shebang, to sell you MORE gear.
We have two Formula boards, so we're close to go.
However, we don't live where there's a need to extend another 20 sailing days, when we can sail 6 meters and 100 liters over 150 days a year.
mtnview

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are taking about range, not duplicating boards because you want to have the option of trying a different one sometimes, or buying as many as you can just because ... you can. Why stop at six then? Eight would be better, right?

Two or three boards and a handful of modern sails cover a huge range, easily all we encounter in the Bay Area. You do not need a fleet![/quote]

The right amount of gear is just one more board... and one more sail... And for this thread, one more fin/foil... Wink
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it basically impossible to sail at Davenport without a wave board.
Same with strong wind ebb tide Crissy, TI, or Coyote/3rd, without a bump and jump board.
And for lighter days, or Berkeley, I need a slalom board, maybe medium wind and moderate wind, meaning two.
So while ONE hammer might work for all your usages, a more picky sailor might pick 7 different hammers, plus a hammer nailer, and several shorty's to get the job done right.
bert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I need an 18 wheeler now that I'm foiling Crying or Very sad

how much is too much.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.89 MB
 Viewed:  16908 Time(s)

how much is too much.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I find it basically impossible to sail at Davenport without a wave board.
Same with strong wind ebb tide Crissy, TI, or Coyote/3rd, without a bump and jump board.
And for lighter days, or Berkeley, I need a slalom board, maybe medium wind and moderate wind, meaning two.
So while ONE hammer might work for all your usages, a more picky sailor might pick 7 different hammers, plus a hammer nailer, and several shorty's to get the job done right.

So we agree: 3 boards for the Bay area (that can actually be two). And sure if you start to go in different terrain you might need one specialty boards for the waves, although a modern wave board probably works fine for B&J. And of course you can pile them up as much as you want: why stop at 7 different hammers? you could have a a couple of speed board, and a long board, and a 80 + 93 B&J, and 75-85-95 wave, and why not, 3 slalom boards, and a formula, and really at least 2 foil specific boards and 3 wings etc etc ...

Sure fun if you like complication! Shocked

PS My quiver in the Bay has been a 85L RRD FSW + slalom boards for ten years. Of the slaloms right now I have the overkill: two left overs (CA 52 wide and Isonic 111) and a Patrik 100L. Eventually I want to reduce it to a new 81-84 FSW and an Isonic 107. Two boards for everything! (Ok .. maybe 3)
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if YOU do it, then it must be the right thing for you to do, and we all should follow what you're doing.
bert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on the foil for 14 sessions now and here's my assessment..it's harder than shit if you live in the Bay Area (or any area) where there is good wind and chop during the sailing season. These last few days have been my worst as I've tried foiling in winds where I would normally use a 4.7 on an 85L board at 3rd and Coyote. My JP Superlightwind at 91cm/168L does not work in those conditions (even on a 4.2 sail) and is meant for placid 10-14 mph conditions. Even in less wind it's not an easy skill to master as you need to alter your sailing style. I feel that I've regressed as I'm trying to muscle my way to control the ride. Those who are naturally skilled and athletic will pick up foiling quickly..but it's a different story for old dogs like myself. I'm in the water a lot (which is exhausting) and trying to waterstart with a large machete at the back of the board hasn't been easy. I'm going back to the 24 inch mast for now with the Firemove (75cm) to reset as I had an easier time with this setup. I've ordered a foil specific board (JP Hydrofoil 135) that is smaller and can take higher winds than my big JP SLW. I'm committed to just foil for the rest of this windsurf season so that I can hopefully become proficient. I've had enough good rides on the foil to both excite me and light my fire.

https://youtu.be/ug273yS1X4w
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the whole idea of windsurf foil was for LIGHT wind sailing, and steady breezes, of course.
There's plenty of hype about 200 lbs sailors planing on SLW and correctly tuned 8 meter sail. Correct as in, tuned for the winds, not the theory. That's "10-12 knots", or maybe 11-14 mph breezes.
So why use a foil in winds where you need a 5 meter sail or less?
hilton08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With kiting, foiling started out as a way to get on the water in lighter winds, but as their skills increased and the addiction grew most kite foilers started riding their foils in all conditions, riding 4 meter kites with foils when regular kiters were on 6 and 7m kites.
Here in the Gorge, the same thing is starting to happen with the windsurf foilers. Now that the July winds have kicked in I'm starting to see windsurf foilers out on 3.7 and 4.0 sails on the windy days when the regular windsurfers are powered on 4.7-5.0 sails. In choppy conditions, it certainly smooths out the ride, and it's only a matter of time before someone is skilled enough to ride swell at the hatchery with a windsurf foil on a big day.
What scares me is the thought off 200 people windsurf foiling at the hatchery on a big day. At least the kite foilers need to maintain some distance between themselves due to the length of the kite lines, but a collision with a windsurf foiler could be really bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: