myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Lopez wind forecast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwindy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Lake Lopez wind forecast Reply with quote

Does Paso Robles need to be above 90 degrees for Lake Lopez to have decent wind? And what if Paso Robles is forecasted to be 85 and Pismo 70? Thanks
bprice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. Larger temp differences help with the local thermal, but other factors affect the wind too, like a high pressure ridge just offshore with a large low pressure area around Fresno/Bakersfield. Plenty of days with a temp delta of 15 or less and still good wind. Be sure to look at isobar forecast maps, fog lines along with temps to get the bigger picture. After 20 years, it's still a tricky place to forecast!
kwindy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. What site is good for isobar forecast map and fog line? How much pressure difference do you look for between beach and Fresno/Bakersfield?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricky place. bprice knows his stuff. Last week was classic Lopez. Hot in Paso and cool and fog on the coast..5.5 sails were the rule for the week. So far Sunday and Monday have been very fluky. On and off planning on big boards and sails. Best day I had this year was in early May. 4.7 until I couldn't sail any longer. It was steady and shore to shore. No fog on the coast and cool in Paso.
kwindy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like pretty hard to forecast. thanks
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not really that hard. Like any windsurfing spot there are things to look for.
In general, heat inland with cool foggy morning conditions on the coast will produce sailable wind on the lake. For me at 165lbs. that means a 5.5 and a 115 board. Lots of days I drop down to a 96 liter board. Once in a while I get to use a 4.7 Most of the locals are unhappy if the they must sail a 6.5
I'm finding that if the wind at the coast gets 20 plus, it starts to disturb the thermal and makes the wind gusty and shifty. Its still wind, just not the steady filled in across the lake type that the pond is all about...
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lake may be good this coming week, because the coast is shutting down until next weekend (7/7, good I could use the rest) but hopefully no longer than that, I prefer the coast.
kwindy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By coast, do you mean Pismo? How is it at Pismo? Is it wavesailing or just choppy? Where exactly is the spot? I didn't find local info at iwindsurf.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pismo Beach is not a very good place to windsurf, the wind is almost always straight onshore. Farther south from there, about 3 miles, is a popular kiting spot (Oceano), because it's more wide open (no buildings), but the wind is still pretty much onshore. I sail about 50 miles north of there, on the coast, as do most of the ocean oriented w'surfers in the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: