myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's what happens when a carbon fiber foil mast meets a shin on failed waterstrat. note: the sailor's wetsuit was not damaged.

20170621_164211.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.32 KB
 Viewed:  16866 Time(s)

20170621_164211.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!
bert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of awkward falls as foil wings are really sharp

foil injury.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.56 KB
 Viewed:  16845 Time(s)

foil injury.jpg

windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every picture tells a story don't it. I'm afraid of going over the handlebars at speed on my regular olde tyme sayleboarde. I don't need to add a machete to the mix. This old dog don't need to learn any new tricks. I'll try foils in my next life.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loopless wrote:

Some sailors in San Diego are seeing foils as the second coming of Jesus - I'm not so sure it's going to solve the 8-12 mph planing issue.

Still I agree with you point that a cheap lightwind foil on one of the new boards designed to support a foil as well as regular fins is probably a good deal as you would not need big sails and another big board in your quiver. Maybe stop at a 5.5 saving money on sails/booms/masts.

It really looks like the last generation hydrofoils (110-120 liter boards less than 80 cm wide, 200-230 long) can take a 90-95Kg sailor up and going in 8-10 knots of wind with a 6.0 sail or so. See for example https://vimeo.com/223926687 and https://vimeo.com/223925241

So this has the potential of revolutionizing the sport especially in locations with a lot of wind range (not in the Bay Area). At my weight (160 pounds/70 Kg) a 4 or 5 sails/2 board quiver could cover everything from 6-8 to 30 knots. An abundant 3.7-4.3-5.0-5.8-6.5 with an 80L Free style Wave and a 110L Horue Hydrofoil and I would be set. Eventually 1 board, like the Horue Femto, could do it all.

Last edited by dvCali on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started foiling, I had a fall where the mast whipped around and hit me in the head. Broke the skin even though I was wearing a bicycle helmet. So I proceeded pretty cautiously until I had enough muscle memory to have some semblance of control--an approach I would recommend to anyone interested. I now foil without a helmet, and my biggest worry is falling off the back or side and having to swim a great distance to get my board back. It has happened.

One of the clear drawbacks of narrow and small boards like big slalom boards is that they are much less roll stable and twitchy. Thus, more falls and more unpredictable falls. Steve Sylvester and Anders both learned on one--but both now foil on meter wide boards, and strongly advised me to use my formula board.

Foiling is much more dangerous on a kite--there are more ways to be run over by your foil, and everything happens much faster. But the best kite racers are pretty mpressive.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting,

I've been exclusively using a 1m board and have the distinct impression that being way out on the rail is creating control problems. I have too much leverage to windward, front foot pressure changes cause a roll in addition to the desired pitch change. Bearing away actually takes a small lift in the strap and significant step across with the back foot.

Slingshot's widest beginner board is only 78cm and the straps are fairly inboard.
bert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First day to foil on the JP SLW board (91cm wide) and there is much more control of the glide as opposed to the 110L Firemove as it is much wider in the center and the back of the board. The longer mast (30 in) allows for more up and down control to prolong the flight (I'll mount the 36"next week)) Foiled at the Stick on a 5.0 when the wind was 12-15.

JP foil2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.02 KB
 Viewed:  16715 Time(s)

JP foil2.jpg

JP foil.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.88 KB
 Viewed:  16715 Time(s)

JP foil.jpg

grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap the fuselage around so the wing is further forward and you'll like it even more.
bert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Swap the fuselage around so the wing is further forward and you'll like it even more.

Thanks..I will try that tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: